Fuel Tank Copy

Title says it all, use to be when you copied a fuel tank the fuel amount was the amount that was in the origin tank, seem now if origin tank is empty the fuel will be full when copied.

Far as I remember the copied tank should be equal to the tank it was copied from, did I miss the memo or is this a glitch/

Thanks

If you mean copying by pressing Alt in the VAB, I am not sure and I don't have the game open right now.

However, if you mount a pair or more of tanks or boosters radially, then change the fuel content in one of them it will change for the others in the same symmetry group.

So I suspect if you do a simple copy and add another tank inline with the first then it has no reason to follow the settings of the first...I could be wrong.

22 minutes ago, archiebald said:

If you mean copying by pressing Alt in the VAB, I am not sure and I don't have the game open right now.

However, if you mount a pair or more of tanks or boosters radially, then change the fuel content in one of them it will change for the others in the same symmetry group.

So I suspect if you do a simple copy and add another tank inline with the first then it has no reason to follow the settings of the first...I could be wrong.

Yes I mean when building in the SPH or VAB, it use to follow the setting of the one it was copied from even today the autostrut setting will be retained but the anount of fuel is not, thought there might be a setting I am missing to change this.

Thanks

I am running 1.8.1, I just fired up the game and checked your scenario.  Copying a tank maintains the same fuel level as the one you copy from.  Also fired up 1.9.1 and the behavior is exactly the same, fuel quantity stays as the copied tank.  So as far as I can see your problem doesn't exist for me, maybe due to something on your installation.

I should point out that I don't use steam - I have seen too many people having weird issues with steam installations so I absolutely would never use that route.  I can't say if that is the reason in this case but who knows.

11 hours ago, archiebald said:

I am running 1.8.1, I just fired up the game and checked your scenario.  Copying a tank maintains the same fuel level as the one you copy from.  Also fired up 1.9.1 and the behavior is exactly the same, fuel quantity stays as the copied tank.  So as far as I can see your problem doesn't exist for me, maybe due to something on your installation.

I should point out that I don't use steam - I have seen too many people having weird issues with steam installations so I absolutely would never use that route.  I can't say if that is the reason in this case but who knows.

Thanks for checking, That is how it use to work for me before 1.9, glad to know it is my install or configuration now I can try a re- install or what not to fix , TBH first glitch I have had that pertains to my system or installation.

Working on a large air craft carrier using fuel tanks as structural units so you can see the pain the above issue would add to building something large.

On 5/14/2020 at 3:54 PM, Kerbalwerks said:

Title says it all, use to be when you copied a fuel tank the fuel amount was the amount that was in the origin tank, seem now if origin tank is empty the fuel will be full when copied.

Far as I remember the copied tank should be equal to the tank it was copied from, did I miss the memo or is this a glitch/

Do you have any mods installed that alter the contents or size of fuel tanks? Interstellar Fuel Switch, Procedural Parts, TweakScale, etc...

Apparently, there was a change in version 1.9 that prevents mods from correctly changing part resources when cloning them. See THIS post in the Tweakscale thread about it.

If it looks like that is your problem, then you may have some luck installing the mod KSP Recall which is intended to allow mods to overcome this limitation as long as those mods are configured to use it.

4 hours ago, HvP said:

Do you have any mods installed that alter the contents or size of fuel tanks? Interstellar Fuel Switch, Procedural Parts, TweakScale, etc...

Apparently, there was a change in version 1.9 that prevents mods from correctly changing part resources when cloning them. See THIS post in the Tweakscale thread about it.

If it looks like that is your problem, then you may have some luck installing the mod KSP Recall which is intended to allow mods to overcome this limitation as long as those mods are configured to use it.

Good thoughts HvP but no kind of a vanilla guy.

Should of posted below in first post:

Installed version 1.91.2766

1.9.1 Making History

1.4.1 Breaking Ground

No Mods and using Launcher to start, no steam.

Wiped my install clean with eraser, re-installed and it is doing the same thing, strangest thing not devastating just annoying I will keep my ears open for anyone else having same issue and related.

Cheers !

3 hours ago, OHara said:

It is not just you, @Kerbalwerks This is a new bug since version 1.9.0 and it is on the bug-tracker (link)

I tested with 1.9.1 and it seemed to be clear  - although I do have the mod Configurable Containers installed which might have overwritten the bug(?)  Should have mentioned that I guess, but nowadays I have more mods than game so it is difficult to keep track. :D  Having said that, I don't use Tweakscale and I definitely don't use KSP Recall. so I am not certain why I am not seeing this bug in 1.9.1.  As I mentioned, I downloaded all my game and DLC direct from KSP homepage - I don't use steam due to "reasons" -  but can't imagine how original vs steam might cause any difference in this case.

Personally, I will be continuing to run 1.8.1 for at least the next few months for these types of problems.

In case anyone is wondering - my main game is 1.8.1, and since it was released I made a shadow installation of 1.9.1 into which I have installed the same list of mods as I have in 1.8.1 and a copy of my current savegame.  From this, as mods have been gradually updated, I am able to occasionally check how well 1.9.1 is performing with my selected modset and current savegame status.  It is nearly there now and I might soon transfer my main savegame into 1.9.1, but for now I am still holding back.

Edited by archiebald

On 5/16/2020 at 3:13 PM, HvP said:

Hi.

It's not exactly the same problem solved by KSP-Recall, but it have the same root cause: a bug on handling Cloning (OnCopy KSP callback).

However, KSP Recall need to be used by third parties in order to work. Just installing will not solve anything without Add'Ons calling it when they want to preserve the current Resources state (it's what TweakScale is doing, by the way).

And since the amount of a Resource on the part is handled usually by a Stock Module (that knows squat about KSP Recall), the sad true is that KSP Recall will be never notified about you changing the amount of the resource on the part, and so it will behave similarly - it will restore back the Resources configuration it knows about (the last updated received from someone), and not the source part's one.

How bad this is hurting you? I just had an idea that may help (essentially, mimicking a stunt already being done on TweakScale). With a bit of luck, I can try a solution for this!

Edit: the following info only applies to copies created by symmetry, it does not apply to copies created by alt-click

The behavior I have noticed, is that if you open the PAW for the copy in the editor prior to launch then it will gain the appropriate fuel setting, if however you launch without opening the PAW, then it will end up with the default settings.

Further, if you revert to editor after launch then the settings of both the original and the copy will be set to whichever PAW you open first.

Edited by Rhomphaia

I managed to fix it!!! :) 

I just published an update for KSP Recall where I have this problem (kinda of) fixed on KSP 1.9.x 

Besides being created mainly for TweakScale (at least, I don't know any other Add'On willing to use it), you don't need TweakScale installed, just install KSP Recall and it will intercept some Editor events and fix the Resource Amount of the parts being cloned! :)

I didn't found any collateral effects until this moment - but if someone detects something weird, please report on the KSP Recall thread.

ping @Kerbalwerks, @bestPlayer_xu .

@Rhomphaia can you test it the same way you did above?

Edited by Lisias
some more remarks.

3 hours ago, Lisias said:

Besides being created mainly for TweakScale (at least, I don't know any other Add'On willing to use it), you don't need TweakScale installed, just install KSP Recall and it will intercept some Editor events and fix the Resource Amount of the parts being cloned! :)

I didn't found any collateral effects until this moment - but if someone detects something weird, please report on the KSP Recall thread.

ping @Kerbalwerks, @bestPlayer_xu .

@Rhomphaia can you test it the same way you did above?

OK, I gave it a shot,

KSP Recall alone does nothing about the issue as far as I can tell. both Alt-click and symmetry behave the same as they would in stock.

the issues do seem to be fixed with KSP Recall + TweakScale though

Edit: Module manager required for KSP recall to take effect, does seem to fix things then.

Edited by Rhomphaia
update

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.