Give me an opinion on this design; Trip To Duna on Kerbalism!

Hi guys,

what do you think about this design? It's meant to be used Apollo-style with the lander going on the surface and docking back on the mothership.

Total dV: 8,233

I would like to aerebrake to save up some fuel entering Duna Orbit. But i never did it before. 

XowPIuA.jpg

I'm so bad in making graphics but Kronal Vessel Viewer is so dope. 

The launch stage brings the payload on LKO pretty easily. Its basically 2 Stages, Solid Boosters and Mamooth. Mamooth firing from the launch too. 

The lander is meant to be small and light, no science there. Tested: can land with chutes only and get back on Duna orbit around 80km.

I'm using Deepfreeze module to..... survive Kerbalism! I have almost 60 days of total life support to do science and manual flight operations.

All modules have 100% shielding. 

The service bay module has a lot of KOS computers (i play multiplayer with a friends who connects thru Kos terminal and play as mission control), life support and science. 

As Apollo teaches: mothership docks the lander, not viceversa. 

i'm not totally satisfied of the mothership, i could do better, but this one seems working. it gives me 4000 km/s dv from LKO, seems enough for the travel, isn't it? 

Thanks!

Edited by SpaceCarmelo
grammar correction

18 hours ago, SpaceCarmelo said:

I'm using Deepfreeze module to..... survive Kerbalism! I have almost 60 days of total life support to do science and manual flight operations.

DeepFreeze has a compatibility issue with Kerbalism.  Don't forget to uncheck the 'Use Background Processing' option in the difficulty settings, or else you'll have problems.

Duna is pretty safe to aerobrake at if you have a normal Hohmann transfer. The relatively low speeds and thin atmosphere means less thermal problems so most things can aerocapture without any heat shielding. Retract solar arrays and antennas and aim for 15-20km above the surface.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.