[1.12.x] Netherdyne Mass Driver Mod

@Northstar1989 developed this mod, original thread is here:  https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/93313-122-netherdyne-mass-driver-mod-version-132-is-now-live/

It was a partial continuation of a previous mod,  Stanford Torus Mod, which reached version 0.6.1 for KSP 0.90 on Curse on February 20th, 2015.  I do not have a forum thread for this.

@Northstar1989 doesn't have time and I agreed to adopt this.

@FreeThinker assisted @Northstar1989 with the last release for 1.7.3, and also had developed some new replacement parts.

This mod is a full continuation of the latest version, with the new parts being used.

Availability

Available via CKAN

Dependencies

Changes & Fixes for Adoption

Spoiler

Updated costs and entryCosts for all mass driver parts
    Enabled on-screen display of countdown 
    Adoption by Linuxgurugamer
    Added license file
    Added build scripts
    Moved source directory up one level
    Added AssemblyVersion.tt
    Added InstallChecker.cs
    Added version file
    Renamed mod to NeatherdyneMassDriver
    Replaced all "foreach" statements with more efficient for (i = 0; i < ??.Count(); i++)
    Added standard Log class
    Replaced all print with Log.Info
    Replaced all Debug.Log with Log.Info
    Added setting to have custom countdown length (1-30 seconds)
    Added power setting, tied to difficulty.  Normal = 1, easy is 2, harder is < 1, multiplied against the config value
    Fixed nonsense display of 15 significant digits for the countdown
    Added on-screen countdown
    Big cleanup of redundent and repetitive code in ModuleMassAccelerator
    Changed attach settings so parts don't have surface attach mode
    Added window when armed
    Cleaned up code
    Rewrote calculations to apply force only while vessel is inside tube
    Removed old "network" code
    Multiple accelerators can now be controlled at the same time
    Enabled built-in decoupler
    Enabled Detach from bottom Action, action is hidden if nothing attached
    Replaced hard-coded window ID with generated from WindowHelper
    Added recording flight data into log files
    New dependencies
        ClickThroughBlocker
        ToolBarController
        SpaceTuxLibrary

Edited by linuxgurugamer

This post will be a status update of my progress.

I am mostly done with the initial runthrough, but I have a problem with the GetWorld3DPos method, not returning the correct data when first being checked after a launch.  It works after a revert or a scene change, so Im trying some alternative methods og getting the curent position of vessels

On 5/15/2020 at 1:15 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

It was a partial continuation of a previous mod,  Stanford Torus Mod, which reached version 0.6.1 for KSP 0.90 on Curse on February 20th, 2015.  I do not have a forum thread for this.

If it helps:

There was actually a lot of really cool stuff in that mod- from 3.75 meter SRB's and inline goo canisters, to parts for ISRU mods.

It's a shame the mod was abandoned, and I only had time to continue one aspect of it I found particularly promising- and even then only with others' help.

Btw, the last version I released actually does more or less work in 1.9.x, with only a few glitches as I understand it.  So if you want, could release that while trying to roll out a definitive release.  Will get more eyes on the project and probably get you more help working out these glitches, at the least...

Thanks for taking this over!  I hope the work is going well!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a rough beta now available here:

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/NeatherdyneMassDriver/releases/tag/1.3.4

Changes

• Enabled on-screen display of countdown 
  • Adoption by Linuxgurugamer
  • Added license file
  • Added build scripts
  • Moved source directory up one level
  • Added AssemblyVersion.tt
  • Added InstallChecker.cs
  • Added version file
  • Renamed mod to NeatherdyneMassDriver
  • Replaced all "foreach" statements with more efficient for (i = 0; i < ??.Count(); i++)
  • Added standard Log class
  • Replaced all print with Log.Info
  • Replaced all Debug.Log with Log.Info
  • Added setting to have custom countdown length (1-30 seconds)
  • Added power setting, tied to difficulty.  Normal = 1, easy is 2, harder is < 1, multiplied against the config value
  • Fixed nonsense display of 15 significant digits for the countdown
  • Added on-screen countdown
  • Big cleanup of redundant and repetitive code in ModuleMassAccelerator
  • Changed attach settings so parts don't have surface attach mode
  • Removed extra part models and textures, updated all part files to use one set
  • Split the slave parts into their own files

Please note:  The mod includes both the old parts, and some new parts which look like tubes.  The tubes are NOT tested, and I have to do some work to make them work properly.  They won't be there in the initial release.

Dependencies

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Awesome!  :)

By the way, one thing that may need to be considered (and rarely is in mods) for balance and realism: tech node and unlock cost (that one-time fee you pay to unlock parts with the right difficulty option enabled...)

Both should probably be somewhat higher than where I had them before: for gameplay purposes, too many mods cluster parts about where they were (especially in Community Tech Tree), and the unlock cost needs to reflect their high utility...

And, for realism  I did more reading since setting these parameters in my mod: and it appears that while Mass Drivers like this can ABSOLUTELY be built, there are more obstacles to cost-effectively upscaling some of the needed electrical systems for them than I originally expected (meaning the technology still probably wouldn't reach full tech readiness for at least another 10-20 years if we really invested in researching it today...)

Mainly, though, it'll minimize complaints of their being "overpowered" (Gosh I hate those people- when they're complaining about things feasible in real life!  Compared to the primitive tech of a Saturn V rocket ANYTHING New Space or even slightly futuristic is realistically overpowered!) if you can point to their advanced tech node (in the custom tech trees) and very high part unlock costs and simply ask players if they were using a custom tech tree and had part unlock costs enabled.

Also, what ARE the most popular custom, advanced tech trees (those going into future tech, used with mods like NearFuture pack and KSP-Interstellar Extended) nowadays?  I'm still only really familiar with a couple of them, and Community Tech Tree remains my old standby favorite...

Edited by Northstar1989

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/22/2020 at 2:01 AM, Northstar1989 said:

Awesome!  :)

By the way, one thing that may need to be considered (and rarely is in mods) for balance and realism: tech node and unlock cost (that one-time fee you pay to unlock parts with the right difficulty option enabled...)

Both should probably be somewhat higher than where I had them before: for gameplay purposes, too many mods cluster parts about where they were (especially in Community Tech Tree), and the unlock cost needs to reflect their high utility...

And, for realism  I did more reading since setting these parameters in my mod: and it appears that while Mass Drivers like this can ABSOLUTELY be built, there are more obstacles to cost-effectively upscaling some of the needed electrical systems for them than I originally expected (meaning the technology still probably wouldn't reach full tech readiness for at least another 10-20 years if we really invested in researching it today...)

Mainly, though, it'll minimize complaints of their being "overpowered" (Gosh I hate those people- when they're complaining about things feasible in real life!  Compared to the primitive tech of a Saturn V rocket ANYTHING New Space or even slightly futuristic is realistically overpowered!) if you can point to their advanced tech node (in the custom tech trees) and very high part unlock costs and simply ask players if they were using a custom tech tree and had part unlock costs enabled.

Also, what ARE the most popular custom, advanced tech trees (those going into future tech, used with mods like NearFuture pack and KSP-Interstellar Extended) nowadays?  I'm still only really familiar with a couple of them, and Community Tech Tree remains my old standby favorite...

All of the mass drivers in the mod as I have updated it have the required tech being experimentalElectrics, the highest of the stock nodes.

I've updated the costs to follow this table:

MassDriver 1 1.00 6250 2500
MassDriver 5 5.00 31250 12500
MassDriver 8 8.00 50000 20000
MassDriver 12 12.00 75000 30000

massAccelerator05 0.50 6250 2500
massAccelerator05Slave 0.50 3125 2250
massAccelerator125 1.25 15625 6250
massAccelerator125Slave 1.25 7813 5625
massAccelerator25 2.50 31250 12500
massAccelerator25Slave 2.50 15625 11250
massAccelerator375 3.75 46875 18750
massAccelerator375Slave 3.75 23438 16875
massAccelerator50 5.00 62500 25000
massAccelerator50Slave 5.00 31250 22500

and they seem reasonable for now, compared to the PB-NUK Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator, which has an entry cost of 58000 and a cost of 23300.

Final beta in a few minutes, hope to release in a few days if no objects or issues show up

New (and hopefully final) beta release, 1.3.4.1

• Updated costs and entryCosts for all mass driver parts

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/NeatherdyneMassDriver/releases/tag/1.3.4.1

If I don't hear anything in a few days, I'll turn this into a full release

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Mandella said:

I really appreciate you reviving this mod linuxgurugamer.

And of course I have a request/question -- is it in fact compatible with 1.8.x? I'd love to add some mass drivers into my system, but I'm frozen at 1.8 for the time being.

CKAN shows that version 1.3.4.1 is compatible with KSP 1.8.1 to 1.10.1.  Have you tried it yourself on a clean 1.8.1 install?

23 hours ago, Brigadier said:

CKAN shows that version 1.3.4.1 is compatible with KSP 1.8.1 to 1.10.1.  Have you tried it yourself on a clean 1.8.1 install?

Thanks and not yet. I'll give it a go when I have time and report back here the results.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I am just now starting to play around with this mod, but had trouble figuring out the functionality of the tubes. I know they haven’t been fully vetted yet, but what is their purpose? Do they provide any linear acceleration or only X & Y stabilization? 

Thanks

7 hours ago, bmcmahonwrx said:

I am just now starting to play around with this mod, but had trouble figuring out the functionality of the tubes. I know they haven’t been fully vetted yet, but what is their purpose? Do they provide any linear acceleration or only X & Y stabilization? 

Thanks

Which tubes?