Official KSP + NASA Challenge Thread

You may or may not have heard of it, but KSP and NASA have challenged us to simulate the mission to the ISS in KSP:

Let's do it!

EDIT: Just to be clear, I am not a member of Steam or KSP management or NASA or anything like that. I just wanted to have a place on this forum to categorize all the entries.

Edited by sevenperforce

2 minutes ago, έķ νίĻĻάίή said:

8EdlDrz.png

This is mildly infuriating but let's hope they notice us anyways!

I saw that tweet and  I am now confused lol. Just wanted  to know if this is a valid submission method and thought it might be easier to get noticed on here 

Just now, Rocket_man1234 said:

I saw that tweet and  I am now confused lol. Just wanted  to know if this is a valid submission method and thought it might be easier to get noticed on here 

I'm still going to submit here if I've got time and hope they notice since this is meant to be the official Ksp forum (right?)

10 hours ago, Rocket_man1234 said:

ill just post on both i guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

10 hours ago, έķ νίĻĻάίή said:

I'm still going to submit here if I've got time and hope they notice since this is meant to be the official Ksp forum (right?)

Same here. I'm posting to both as I think twitter is lame for community sharing. We can actually have a real conversation in the forums and post follow-ups here.

They have just brought Falcon 9 to vertical so looks like it is time for me to do the same...

screenshot14.png
screenshot15.png
screenshot26.png

Doug and Robert aren't in the Crew Dragon; they're in the observation deck module on top of the crew access tower. Crew Dragon is integrated fully filled to save time, but Falcon 9 is unfilled and must be lifted to the vertical first, or the (Transporter)-Erector won't have enough juice to lift it. The Crew Access Arm is fully articulating and they walk down it and climb in before the vehicle is filled. 

Tanks are filled from the reservoir in the access tower. At T-2, the engines ignite; at T=0, the clamps release, the giant decoupler ring unlocks, the erector arms retract and pull back, and Falcon 9 lifts off.

At stage separation, the first-stage engines are shut down, RCS is activated, the upper stage is decoupled, and a pusher rod shoves the upper stage engine away. RCS on the Crew Dragon is not activated until it separates. There are no active reaction wheels on the vehicle (although they are activated in case of aborts to stabilize because we don't have differential thrust guidance on the SuperDracos).

It uses three-engine boostback, entry, and landing burns. Grid fins are fully functional and provide roll, pitch, and yaw authority. Landing legs deploy and lock into place and cannot be refolded.

After reaching orbit, Crew Dragon separates, activates its own RCS, and opens its nose cone using a powered hinge, exposing and activating the four primary Draco thrusters. They are automatically turned off when the nose cone is closed. Docking and undocking are straightforward. During re-entry, steering is accomplished by roll control only. A hatch pops off the base of Crew Dragon to expose the drogues, which are jettisoned with a decoupler when the mains pop.

100% stock.

Does anyone have a low-part-count stock ISS I can borrow?

28 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Doug and Robert aren't in the Crew Dragon; they're in the observation deck module on top of the crew access tower.

Does anyone have a low-part-count stock ISS I can borrow?

I named my Kerbals Dougley and Bobken. :)

I downloaded an ISS from kerbalx. It has 300+ parts though. I'm thinking you're looking for something smaller.

Edited by doggonemess

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.