[1.12.x] SystemHeat - a replacement for the CoreHeat system (October 9)

Nertea

41 minutes ago, toric5 said:

@Nertea

// Map system outlet temperature (K) to heat generation (kW)
    systemPower
    {
        key = 0 40
    }

with this code, what exactly is the math to get the final heat output of a part? (working on that generic converter patch.)

It is what it is - that says 'produce 40 kw'

SystemHeat 0.2.0

• Added Chinese localization (TerrestrisYE)
  • Added additional converter patches, including NF Electrical, NF Propulsion, CryoTanks (TerrestrisYE)
  • Halved the radiating capacity of all high temperature and microchannel radiators BUT halved their mass.
  • Added some better handling for parts that have underscores in their part internal names
  • Localized ModuleSystemHeatEngine
  • Injected system heat parameters into PartInfo blocks for ModuleResourceConverter and ModuleResourceHarvester
  • Worked on normalizing PartInfo blocks for System Heat modules in terminology and look and feel
  • Increased the amount of coolant in the coolant tank part by 5x

Could the recent SystemHeat ISRU changes be overriding the resource ratios from the CryoTanks ISRU patch? With the latest update, things seem to be generating heat correctly, but my 2.5m ISRU is converting Ore to LH2 at a 1:1 ratio, instead of 1:141.

I'm not 100% confident SystemHeat is to blame. The only mods in my log modifying the ISRU and MiniISRU parts are SystemHeat, ReStock, CryoTanks, NFP, and FFT. These last two are lithium specific. ReStock doesn't appear to be touching the actual resource module, just the emissives. CryoTanks specifies ratios for LH2, LH2+Ox, methane, and methalox, which aren't being respected. SystemHeat seems to replace the converter modules with moduleIDs converter6 and converter7 for the cryo fuels, with no ratios specified. It's not clear to me how ModuleSystemHeatConverter is supposed to work.

Log is here.

42 minutes ago, danfarnsy said:

Could the recent SystemHeat ISRU changes be overriding the resource ratios from the CryoTanks ISRU patch? With the latest update, things seem to be generating heat correctly, but my 2.5m ISRU is converting Ore to LH2 at a 1:1 ratio, instead of 1:141.

I'm not 100% confident SystemHeat is to blame. The only mods in my log modifying the ISRU and MiniISRU parts are SystemHeat, ReStock, CryoTanks, NFP, and FFT. These last two are lithium specific. ReStock doesn't appear to be touching the actual resource module, just the emissives. CryoTanks specifies ratios for LH2, LH2+Ox, methane, and methalox, which aren't being respected. SystemHeat seems to replace the converter modules with moduleIDs converter6 and converter7 for the cryo fuels, with no ratios specified. It's not clear to me how ModuleSystemHeatConverter is supposed to work.

Log is here.

The patch just changes the name of the module, the underlying ratios should be unchanged.  I'll have to look at the resulting patch when I get a chance later today. 

edit:  looked at the ConfigCache and I see the ratios just fine there at least. Can you post your cache?

edit2: a bigger question is whether *any* of the converters are right. 

Edited by Nertea

2 hours ago, Nertea said:

The patch just changes the name of the module, the underlying ratios should be unchanged.  I'll have to look at the resulting patch when I get a chance later today. 

edit:  looked at the ConfigCache and I see the ratios just fine there at least. Can you post your cache?

edit2: a bigger question is whether *any* of the converters are right. 

ConfigCache here.

I made a sandbox test save, testing by removing FFT, SpaceDust, SystemHeat, and Waterfall. The converter worked correctly with those uninstalled.

Then I re-added them, tested again using identical craft, and the issue reproduced. So if the issue is only on my end, it's at least from some conflict with these FFT requisites.

Here's what I got from testing:

LiquidFuel converter, alone, converts Ore to LqdFuel at 1:1 ratio.
Oxidizer converts at 1:1 ratio.
LqdFuel + Ox produces 1 LqdFuel and about 60ish oxidizer per 1 ore. Lots of free oxidizer appearing from nowhere.
Monoprop converts at 1:1 ratio.
LH2 converts at 1:1 ratio, and about twice the overall speed of conversion as liquid fuel (e.g. liquid fuel at 0.62/sec, LH2 at 1.22/sec)
LH2 + Ox produces LH2 at 1:1 for ore, plus about 60ish oxidizer per ore, similar as LqdFuel + Ox converter, getting free mass from nowhere.

I did not test methane or lithium converters.

Edit: LCH4 converts at 1:1. LCH4 + Ox gives huge amounts of Ox, similar to LqdFuel + Ox and LH2 + Ox.
Lithium converts at 1:1

Edited by danfarnsy

1 hour ago, danfarnsy said:

ConfigCache here.

I made a sandbox test save, testing by removing FFT, SpaceDust, SystemHeat, and Waterfall. The converter worked correctly with those uninstalled.

Then I re-added them, tested again using identical craft, and the issue reproduced. So if the issue is only on my end, it's at least from some conflict with these FFT requisites.

Here's what I got from testing:

LiquidFuel converter, alone, converts Ore to LqdFuel at 1:1 ratio.
Oxidizer converts at 1:1 ratio.
LqdFuel + Ox produces 1 LqdFuel and about 60ish oxidizer per 1 ore. Lots of free oxidizer appearing from nowhere.
Monoprop converts at 1:1 ratio.
LH2 converts at 1:1 ratio, and about twice the overall speed of conversion as liquid fuel (e.g. liquid fuel at 0.62/sec, LH2 at 1.22/sec)
LH2 + Ox produces LH2 at 1:1 for ore, plus about 60ish oxidizer per ore, similar as LqdFuel + Ox converter, getting free mass from nowhere.

I did not test methane or lithium converters.

Edit: LCH4 converts at 1:1. LCH4 + Ox gives huge amounts of Ox, similar to LqdFuel + Ox and LH2 + Ox.
Lithium converts at 1:1

Thanks. That lines up with the bug I found which is basically that outputs are screwed in all SH converters. Will issue an update to fix...

Nice find!

how do you correctly use the extra patches (KA, NFE,...)? Are you supposed to put the whole for example ''Systemheatfissionengines'' folder into gamedata or do you have to put the squad/ individual mod patches into squad/  individual mod patch folders?

51 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

how do you correctly use the extra patches (KA, NFE,...)? Are you supposed to put the whole for example ''Systemheatfissionengines'' folder into gamedata or do you have to put the squad/ individual mod patches into squad/  individual mod patch folders?

Since those are just Module Manager patches, they just need to go somewhere the GameData directory. I've put mine in GameData/SystemHeat to keep from cluttering the GameData folder.

@Nertea, pull request incoming for a generic converter patch.

However, I did find what appears to be a bug. The systemPower key doesnt seem to be consistent. As an example, the new planetaryBaseInc ISRU patch has a systemPower key of 0 40, same as the stock ISRU. However, in the editor, the plantetaryBaseInc isru outputs only 18 KW of heat. Ive encountered this problem with the dynamic patches. Some, but not all, modules output more or less heat than they should. Im testing my patches with sucidialInstanitys miningExpantion mod.

oArWzR1.png

G0SRCvW.png

Edited by toric5

19 hours ago, toric5 said:

@Nertea, pull request incoming for a generic converter patch.

However, I did find what appears to be a bug. The systemPower key doesnt seem to be consistent. As an example, the new planetaryBaseInc ISRU patch has a systemPower key of 0 40, same as the stock ISRU. However, in the editor, the plantetaryBaseInc isru outputs only 18 KW of heat. Ive encountered this problem with the dynamic patches. Some, but not all, modules output more or less heat than they should. Im testing my patches with sucidialInstanitys miningExpantion mod.

oArWzR1.png

G0SRCvW.png

I'll check it out, it's probably some vague peculiarity of the stock converter code that I haven't handled. 

On 12/7/2020 at 1:19 AM, toric5 said:

Are those converters functioning at 100% efficiency? I haven't paid attention to efficiencies in a long while, but don't stock converters get limited efficiency (and thus have lower consumptions/outputs than stated in part info) unless there is an engineer aboard?

2 hours ago, NHunter said:

Are those converters functioning at 100% efficiency? I haven't paid attention to efficiencies in a long while, but don't stock converters get limited efficiency (and thus have lower consumptions/outputs than stated in part info) unless there is an engineer aboard?

Good point, still doesn't explain why it doesn't affect some converts and affects others. Ive even seen it be different between different modules on the same part!

@Nertea, do engineers on board affect the systemHeatConverter modules?

6 hours ago, ssd21345 said:

system heat+ stock + fission engine patches  cause ksp stuck at loading nerv. Even with kerbalAtomic folder is deleted, and yes, the version is 0.2.0 even the log say it's 0.1.

dYji7Hy.png

log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x6hyabz8lcelit5/Player.log?dl=0

Mmm well this is a little dependency thing - to have the Fission Engines patch work, you'll need CRP to manage the existence of EnrichedUranium and Depleted Fuel. Add that and the crash will go away. 

7 hours ago, toric5 said:

Good point, still doesn't explain why it doesn't affect some converts and affects others. Ive even seen it be different between different modules on the same part!

@Nertea, do engineers on board affect the systemHeatConverter modules?

Yes, system heat converters are just stock converters with SH stuff duct taped on. 

However that shouldn't affect things. I am going to change that curve to a single number in the future though. That might solve it. 

System Heat 0.2.2

• Corrected NFE Nuclear Recycler Uranium Extractor patch not working
  • Fixed production ratios not working correctly overall
  • Changed systemPower key in ModuleSystemHeatHarvester and ModuleSystemHeatConverter to a float
  • Improved exception handling and debugging overall

Never mind something is broken

Edit: good now

Edited by Nertea

Ratios look good now! 

Two converters on the Squad ISRU aren't producing any heat: LH2 + Ox and Ox. The others, including the  converters on Whirlijig and Vulcan, generate heat correctly.

Large and small drills have very different efficiency curves. Smaller drill is 100% efficient through 400 K, then drops toward shutoff temp. Larger drill drops off nearly linearly from 0 K, with 50% efficiency at 350 K. Not necessarily a bug, but is inconsistent.

5 hours ago, toric5 said:

@Dr.Lxweei, are you planning on patching planetarybaseinc's nuculear reactor as well? or should I submit a PR?

They did already :). 

On 12/10/2020 at 3:16 PM, danfarnsy said:

Ratios look good now! 

Two converters on the Squad ISRU aren't producing any heat: LH2 + Ox and Ox. The others, including the  converters on Whirlijig and Vulcan, generate heat correctly.

Large and small drills have very different efficiency curves. Smaller drill is 100% efficient through 400 K, then drops toward shutoff temp. Larger drill drops off nearly linearly from 0 K, with 50% efficiency at 350 K. Not necessarily a bug, but is inconsistent.

It appears I didn't push a lot of fixes that were supposed to be in the last update :|

SystemHeat 0.2.3

• Updates to Chinese localization (TerrestrisYE)
  • Fixed a number of changes from last update not actually being included :|
  • Added generic harvester, converter patches from toric5
  • Normalized drill thermal efficiencies
  • Hid heat sink part.

Edited by Nertea

9 minutes ago, rhoark said:

Is there much standing in the way of having a part that bridges two loops? If you can do that with a rate limit or a toggle, that opens up lots of interesting possibilities.

That is already present and functioning in the mod :). 

16 hours ago, rhoark said:

Okay, sorry. Just read in the OP that a part can only be in one loop at a time :P

No worries, I haven't kept the OP totally up to date. See here:

I'm currently doing some work to leverage the 1.11 inventory system for reactor repair and refuel. Repair kits are now needed to repair reactors - depending on the size of the reactor, you will need more repair kits to repair damage.

For fuel, you will need your Kerbal to equip the new nuclear fuel canister inventory item:

unknown.png

I modeled it before I learned how useless the model is in the current implementation. It won't be shown anywhere, really! Squad made all these assets (eating a lot of memory) for just icons in the part picker. Oh well...

Anyways, with a cylinder equipped, kerbals have the options to collect and store nuclear fuel and waste from reactors and containers. Slightly more fun.