[1.12.x] SystemHeat - a replacement for the CoreHeat system (October 9)

Nertea

2 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Fundamentally in systemheat model they would be heat generators with an ideal temperature lower than everything else in the game. They'd always be in their own loop. The radiator power needed would be low, and there's nothing interesting to do with those parameters. Every ship would have a single separate loop with one radiator to handle boiloff. All that does is add a small mass and power tax, and needs the overhead of running the heat sim, and another part or two for the ship. Additional complexity for little gain.

What about if there was just a simple check for very cold/very hot temperatures? Say, core temperature above something like 800K, it needs a bunch of extra power/boiloff can't be entirely prevented. Core temperature below 30K, no power needed to prevent boiloff.  For methane no cooling'd be needed below 135K

1 minute ago, Nertea said:

But where is this heat coming from? It's not coming from other systems because you'd be dumb to put it in a loop with them. It must be coming from the environment, which we explicitly do not model.

I mean, technically what I said would be entirely on the side of CryoTanks and doesn't actually have anything to do with SystemHeat itself; I just mentioned it because CT was being discussed, and that reminded me that that was a thing that I had wanted for when I'm visiting particularly cold or hot places. Like, your methane tanks shouldn't boil off when you're sitting in Kraken Mare.

Is it correct that this is incompatible or least not working with NF Electric reactors? 

Spoiler

sorry if it's answered here somewhere, googled and checked OP's for both mods.. hopefully didnt miss anything

For people with the same question, download heat control separately

Edited by Black034

11 hours ago, WarriorSabe said:

I mean, technically what I said would be entirely on the side of CryoTanks and doesn't actually have anything to do with SystemHeat itself; I just mentioned it because CT was being discussed, and that reminded me that that was a thing that I had wanted for when I'm visiting particularly cold or hot places. Like, your methane tanks shouldn't boil off when you're sitting in Kraken Mare.

Yeah and what I said was that I'm not doing it, and explained my reasons why, but someone else can no problem.

2 hours ago, Black034 said:

Is it correct that this is incompatible or least not working with NF Electric reactors? 

Reveal hidden contents

sorry if it's answered here somewhere, googled and checked OP's for both mods.. hopefully didnt miss anything

It works fine and I haven't had any bug reports there, actually. It isn't on by default, you need to install the appropriate package in the Extras folder

49 minutes ago, computercat04 said:

What is TBA?

To be added.

8 hours ago, Nertea said:

Yeah and what I said was that I'm not doing it, and explained my reasons why, but someone else can no problem.

Wait, I'm confused now. I only remember seeing an explanation for why you wouldn't integrate SystemHeat? Just having CT check the temperature of the part doesn't need it to use SystemHeat, or anything else thermal management related for that matter.

@NerteaThe static graphene radiators have a max temp of 1000K, but the deployable ones have a max temp of 1300. Is this intentional?

EDIT: Could we also get some clarification as to the exact mechaics ofresponse speed on the fission engines? Is it possible to reduce the fuel wastage of the windup? to 'preheat' the reactor somehow?

Edited by toric5

Still having fun though, using your capacitors to bridge that gap at the moment.

It does get a tad tricky because if you give it too much juice the reactor will re-adjust itself to a lower output. 

Spaceflight is about compromise so yeah not trying to complain or anything lol 

7 hours ago, coyotesfrontier said:

A manual override for the automatic power scaling would be a good solution, imo.

Or a more expensive version of the same reactor that has built in capacitors to handle big instantaneous loads.  My question would be is how fast can a fission reactor really "throttle"?  I think it may be on the order of minutes if not hours, not sure though

3 hours ago, darthgently said:

Or a more expensive version of the same reactor that has built in capacitors to handle big instantaneous loads.  My question would be is how fast can a fission reactor really "throttle"?  I think it may be on the order of minutes if not hours, not sure though

That sounds unnecessarily complex. When I mentioned a manual override, I didn't mean the reactor would have an instant response, I meant that the reactor would slowly warm up to the chosen setting (like a manual version of what it does automatically).

Ive found the cap to be perfectly reasonable so far.

On 11/7/2020 at 1:29 AM, toric5 said:

@NerteaThe static graphene radiators have a max temp of 1000K, but the deployable ones have a max temp of 1300. Is this intentional?

EDIT: Could we also get some clarification as to the exact mechanics of response speed on the fission engines? Is it possible to reduce the fuel wastage of the windup? to 'preheat' the reactor somehow?

Is the graphene radiator disrespectancy a bug?

3 hours ago, Nertea said:

Ahh ok yeah. That could be tuned, but I do want a cap per part. 

Then the cap might be a tad low, many of FFT engine require a dozen of them if on their own loop. Would be nice to have the possibility of patching it trough config or make bigger one.