[1.12.x] SystemHeat - a replacement for the CoreHeat system (October 9)

Nertea

5 hours ago, toric5 said:

isnt temp directly proportional reactor power/exaust cooling? (assuming heat capacity is insignificant...)

In reality yes, in this mod no.

SystemHeat 0.4.2

• Fixed some typos in the SH implemenation of the fixed microchannel heat radiator from Heat Control's variants
  • Fixed issue where reactor throttle was not calculated correctly on multimodal nuclear engines
  • Isp is now pinned to exhaust vs reactor power, so is not lower at lower throttles. In principle this means that Isp is always maximized because reactor power response is very fast.
  • Tweaked exhaust cooling on NTRs (more forgiving)

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, OldSedan said:

I added the extra patch that applies system heat to NFE reactors, and now it seems that decreasing the reactor power output no longer changes the rate uranium is consumed. Is this intentional or do I have a bug somewhere?

I can't reproduce this. I put a GARNET reactor on the pad and set its manual power level to 100%. At full timewarp observed a 0.14 fuel consumption rate. Turning the power level to 25% I observed a 0.03 consumption rate. This looks fine to me. 

Is possible  to add a part (for example a radiator) placed in EVA (construction mode or with KAS/KIS) to an existing loop?

mYW0Ajv.jpg

In this picture (sorry for the darkness...) i have 3 loops (each has 4 radiators), one for the reactor, the second for the harvesters (Loop ID #2), and the last for the ISRU.

Before launching the vessel I added more harvesters without checking and now I need at least 1 more radiator for the harvesters.

I brought some radiators with a shuttle, bolted one to the vessel and now i can only chose from the fourth channel onwards

I thought you could change the loop with the part offline... :D

It's possible to merge the two loops without editing the savefiles?

If not, if i dock an other vessel with radiators with the desired "Loop ID" number, can i solve the problem?

P.S. Sorry for my bad English 

On 6/21/2021 at 8:34 AM, ISO said:

If not, if i dock an other vessel with radiators with the desired "Loop ID" number, can i solve the problem?

Yes.

Honestly I have no idea at the moment in terms of how to deal with EVA construction in a gameplay fashion. I'll have to think about it. 

Minor 0.4.3 update:

• Added CRP as a dependency as it is needed if using the Extras patches related to fission reactors/engines
  • FissionReactor and FissionEngine (if electrical generator) modules now fulfill electrical generation parameters of contracts

On 6/19/2021 at 4:21 PM, Nertea said:

I can't reproduce this. I put a GARNET reactor on the pad and set its manual power level to 100%. At full timewarp observed a 0.14 fuel consumption rate. Turning the power level to 25% I observed a 0.03 consumption rate. This looks fine to me. 

You’re right - the displayed core life doesn’t change but the fuel consumption is appropriate. Sorry!

On 6/22/2021 at 11:10 PM, OldSedan said:

You’re right - the displayed core life doesn’t change but the fuel consumption is appropriate. Sorry!

Oh I didn't even look at that! If that's not updating, yeah, I should check. 

On 6/22/2021 at 10:57 AM, Nertea said:

Yes.

Honestly I have no idea at the moment in terms of how to deal with EVA construction in a gameplay fashion. I'll have to think about it. 

Suggestion - allow changing the loop number on an active craft with a certain number of repair kits - depending on the mass of the item(s) being added to the loop.

I think, I found something inplausible, while getting to learn system heat in the newest version:

@Nertea

Here I tested a big cooling panel, which already cools max at 350K and above in combination with a 150kW Heat reactor. System heat says the loop is fine, as you can see in the lower right hand corner. That matches to the description of the part on the left hand side, that says it will carry away 200kW of heat when reaching 350K. Alright. But why says the part window in the middle of the screen "part efficiency -100%" and the part in the drawn loop has a red thermometer?

Tested the vehicle in space: works thermically well - pausible! So I am confused with the informations in the VAB.

Debug Info: KSP: 1.11.2, newest System heat, newest NF electrical. Patch for Stock parts installed (except for the nuclear engines - for compatibillity reasons).

ZaLKQ6J.jpg

Edit: Also happen with parts made for great heat:

GCkvfwh.jpg

Edited by Rakete

21 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Could just be a sign file in that UI bit.

It disappears as soon as i remove the reactor. So at the moment I will only trust the systemheat menue in the right hand corner and not the heat labels. Should work for now. :-)

Sorry, to say so: i found a next bug: @Nertea

Testing System heat with an ISRU. It says: Target temperature of the loop is 3 K as you see in the right hand corner ... This is pretty frosty, eh?  Should be 500K :-)

Hope it helps debugging :-)

h8GncTD.jpg

Edited by Rakete

11 minutes ago, Rakete said:

Testing System heat with an ISRU. It says: Target temperature of the loop is 3 K as you see in the right hand corner ... This is pretty frosty, eh?  Should be 500K :-)

Seems to be working fine. The ISRU is in loop 0. I guess one of the radiators is in loop 1

On 7/2/2021 at 8:53 PM, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Seems to be working fine. The ISRU is in loop 0. I guess one of the radiators is in loop 1

Nope The ISRU is like the white radiators in loop 1. The reactor and the gray radiators are in loop 0. I found my fault. I have to simulate a ressouce conversion via menu. Interessting, that Lithiumproduction generates twice as much heat... Think, this is also new-ish...

Edited by Rakete

56 minutes ago, Rakete said:

Here I tested a big cooling panel, which already cools max at 350K and above in combination with a 150kW Heat reactor. System heat says the loop is fine, as you can see in the lower right hand corner. That matches to the description of the part on the left hand side, that says it will carry away 200kW of heat when reaching 350K. Alright. But why says the part window in the middle of the screen "part efficiency -100%" and the part in the drawn loop has a red thermometer?

Tested the vehicle in space: works thermically well - pausible! So I am confused with the informations in the VAB.

Debug Info: KSP: 1.11.2, newest System heat, newest NF electrical. Patch for Stock parts installed (except for the nuclear engines - for compatibillity reasons).

I (using same version) also have this. I build what seems to be a well functioning loop but always get the red thermometer. In flight it works fine.

Not a gamebreaker for me, cause 

55 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Could just be a sign file in that UI bit.

@Nertea Can you provide in a future release of SH some patches to turn the Heat Controll EBR-1000 and the EBR-250 also to system heat participants? Somehow they seem to be overlooked, as all the other Heat Controll parts have been patched to do participate in SH. I would really like to see these parts being useful, as their looks and inline-usability is great. They look great next to a reactor and add even more technical flair with their copper pipes. Maybe make them not too OP, but somehow in line with your other radiators? Some big cooling fluid storage, less dissipation... Or turn in a real heat exchanger between cooling loops as the little one, that is already there - just bigger... I don't know. As for this, I don't really want to make suggestions, as your balance is finely tuned and I don't want to make silly suggestions. You know better than me.

Maybe you like to consider this in a future release? With SH installed they are currently without any use. I'd like to see giving them back a purpose. Just an idea, no complaint...

Hope, I got the thread this time right.

Edited by Rakete

Uh, you may be disappointed but I will be removing/ replacing those in some future release. That's why they haven't been patched, I don't actually *want* people using them ;). 

That's okay... Than it's the way it is. No problem. Than I won't use them in my actual big station, which I was starting to construct yesterday. For Savegame-integrity's sake, when I upgrade to newer SH versions :-)

Apart from that, I found some bugs:

Bug Report (medium severe): PK-15 changes target temperature of the respective loop.

I noticed this while playin around with the Sh-Modules tomget to know them. 

Setup : Two 40kW expandable Stock cooling modules, two small flat stock 2kW cooling modules (engineers like to slightly oversize things. Safety margin :-) ) and one ISRU. (all SH patches installed incl. Extras, which turn the Stock panels into SH modules.)

Total Rejection 84 KW, Total generation 80 kW @ Lithium production. Temp reaches 500K. Alright!

But as soon as I add the coolant tank PK-15 to the loop to test out the module, the temperature never reaches 500K anymore thus reducing the efficiency of the ISRU (doesn't reach 125% with 5-star-engineer anymore ... it's hardly at 100%). The ISRU efficiency is tied to a temperature, and overcooling makes it inefficient.

Same behavior with other synthesis products (e.g. LF+Ox.). From the description of the PK-15 it says, the module should only lower the temperature gradient over time. But it seems to lower the target temperature of a cooling loop. You can see this while construction too, as it lowers the target temp in the SH window. Hope it helps. Same for the PX-1F Heat exchanger - it also lowers the target temperature of a loop instead of lowering the temp. gradient over time (heat exchange between loops not yet tested).

Bug Report (very very minor): ISRU Efficiency does not reach 125% with 5-Star engineer.

The ISRU reaches not 125% Efficiency when cooled to perfect temperature 500K. It's only 123,8%. Very very minor. Maybe some truncation/rounding issue :-) nothing to worry about. just for completeness of all things I stumbled about :-)

Edited by Rakete

@Nertea:

Bug report: since SH install no more Uranium transfer possible. (severe OR unknown mechanics change)

I need your expert knowledge on a special problem. Sorry. I think I found a severe bug/missing feature for the NF Electrical overhaul, which is delivered by System heat.

Depleted Uranium / Enriched uranium transfer with System heat installed not possible anymore. The buttons seem to be forgotten. Before the SH install, it was possible to transfer uranium - that's why I believe it's a bug in the SH patches and post it in this thread.

As you see in this picture, the reactor is cold, a 5-Star engineer is on board (Kenneth), but I can't transfer uranium from storage to reactor anymore as before (only NF Electrical without SH), as the buttons were seemingly removed. Even If I send my engineer with the new uranium container in his inventory on EVA I can not pick up uranium from storage and place it in the reactor. No buttons for that.

KSP 1.11.2 (only Nertea's mods installed + EVE Redux + Spectra)

QzCZNnj.png

No possibility to transfer uranium from storage reactor. (Don't mind this ugly test vehicle. I just try to replicate the issue for bugfixing.)

9sncvkX.png

What can I do? One of my deep space ships on nuclear electricity supplied NF-Propulsion engines is stranded without the possibility to refuel from it's full onboard uranium storage. Also I can't transfer depleted uranium to the whirlijig centrifuge, what renders the part useless right now.

If you confirm that it's a bug, can you please deliver a hotfix on that, or otherwise please tell me, what I am doing wrong here? My kerbals are stranded with a batch of uranium in their storage and don't know how to transfer it ;-)

Bug Report: SH calcs not working sporadicly (medium)

Temperature Calculation on NF Reactors sporadicly not working:

As you see in the picture: The reactor temp is not calculated correctly. As you see, this reactor is running on full power on manual control.

The reactor temp is low and does not rise as projected in VAB. Then I reloaded KSP. This time the reactor temps were calculated correctly.

xF2imZa.png

Edited by Rakete

22 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Try using the uranium fuel rod EVA item. 

I did, as you can see on my EVA-Screeshot. The Kerbal has the thing with him, but can't use it on both modules. There is nothing to interact with. The rod does nothing, an there are no options for the kerbal to do something or for the uranium rod to interact with. Even in construction mode, there were no interaction possibilities with the rod. I tried to click with the rod on the storage or the reactor. Nothing happens. And there are no buttons to transfer stuff.

Edited by Rakete

39 minutes ago, Rakete said:

ug Report: SH calcs not working sporadicly (medium)

Temperature Calculation on NF Reactors sporadicly not working:

As you see in the picture: The reactor temp is not calculated correctly. As you see, this reactor is running on full power on manual control.

The reactor temp is low and does not rise as projected in VAB. Then I reloaded KSP. This time the reactor temps were calculated correctly.

Needs a log. 

39 minutes ago, Rakete said:

As you see in this picture, the reactor is cold, a 5-Star engineer is on board (Kenneth), but I can't transfer uranium from storage to reactor anymore as before (only NF Electrical without SH), as the buttons were seemingly removed. Even If I send my engineer with the new uranium container in his inventory on EVA I can not pick up uranium from storage and place it in the reactor. No buttons for that.

Doesn't work like that anymore. Just works like any other fuel transfer with the caveat that a high level engineer needs to be onboard. 

Just now, Nertea said:

Needs a log. 

Doesn't work like that anymore. Just works like any other fuel transfer with the caveat that a high level engineer needs to be onboard. 

how do i create a log ?