[1.12.x] SystemHeat - a replacement for the CoreHeat system (October 9)

Nertea

On 6/11/2022 at 12:36 AM, AtomicRocketBooster said:

Doesn't work how exactly? It works fine on my install so you'll have to be a bit more specific

When i put a part who generate heat i don't have access to the system heat loops and the overlay don't show up.

Maybe i have too much mods installed :blush:

17 hours ago, Cuj0 said:

When i put a part who generate heat i don't have access to the system heat loops and the overlay don't show up.

Maybe i have too much mods installed :blush:

I assume you downloaded the linked folder and saved them as .cfg files in Gamedata?

Do you see the patches getting applied in the ModuleManager log?

Just share your module manager logs+cache.

On 6/13/2022 at 2:29 AM, AtomicRocketBooster said:

I assume you downloaded the linked folder and saved them as .cfg files in Gamedata?

Yes, i put them in a folder named SlabKingIndustries.

Do you see the patches getting applied in the ModuleManager log?

i think :

Spoiler

[LOG 14:06:41.402] Changes :
Added   : SlabKingIndustries/SystemHeatUSIConverters.cfg
Added   : SlabKingIndustries/SystemHeatUSIHarvesters.cfg
Added   : SlabKingIndustries/SystemHeatUSIReactors.cfg

[LOG 14:06:53.607] Applying update SlabKingIndustries/SystemHeatUSIConverters/@PART[MKS_Processor*]:HAS[@MODULE[USI_Converter],@MODULE[ModuleCoreHeat]]:FOR[UmbraSpaceIndustries,SystemHeat] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/MKS_Processor125.cfg/PART[MKS_Processor125]
[LOG 14:06:53.608] Applying update SlabKingIndustries/SystemHeatUSIConverters/@PART[MKS_Processor*]:HAS[@MODULE[USI_Converter],@MODULE[ModuleCoreHeat]]:FOR[UmbraSpaceIndustries,SystemHeat] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/MKS_Processor250.cfg/PART[MKS_Processor250]
[LOG 14:06:53.609] Applying update SlabKingIndustries/SystemHeatUSIConverters/@PART[MKS_Processor*]:HAS[@MODULE[USI_Converter],@MODULE[ModuleCoreHeat]]:FOR[UmbraSpaceIndustries,SystemHeat] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/MKS_Processor375.cfg/PART[MKS_Processor375]
[LOG 14:06:53.612] Applying update SlabKingIndustries/SystemHeatUSIConverters/@PART[MKS_Processor250]:FOR[UmbraSpaceIndustries,SystemHeat] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/MKS_Processor250.cfg/PART[MKS_Processor250]
[LOG 14:06:53.615] Applying update SlabKingIndustries/SystemHeatUSIConverters/@PART[MKS_Processor375]:FOR[UmbraSpaceIndustries,SystemHeat] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/MKS_Processor375.cfg/PART[MKS_Processor375]
[LOG 14:06:53.621] Applying update SlabKingIndustries/SystemHeatUSIHarvesters/@PART[MKS_Drill*,ATLAS_Harvester*]:HAS[@MODULE[USI_Harvester],@MODULE[ModuleCoreHeat]]:FOR[UmbraSpaceIndustries,SystemHeat] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/MKS_Drill_01.cfg/PART[MKS_Drill_01]
[LOG 14:06:53.621] Applying update SlabKingIndustries/SystemHeatUSIHarvesters/@PART[MKS_Drill*,ATLAS_Harvester*]:HAS[@MODULE[USI_Harvester],@MODULE[ModuleCoreHeat]]:FOR[UmbraSpaceIndustries,SystemHeat] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/MKS_Drill_01A.cfg/PART[MKS_Drill_01A]
[LOG 14:06:53.621] Applying update SlabKingIndustries/SystemHeatUSIHarvesters/@PART[MKS_Drill*,ATLAS_Harvester*]:HAS[@MODULE[USI_Harvester],@MODULE[ModuleCoreHeat]]:FOR[UmbraSpaceIndustries,SystemHeat] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/MKS_Drill_02.cfg/PART[MKS_Drill_02]
[LOG 14:06:53.621] Applying update SlabKingIndustries/SystemHeatUSIHarvesters/@PART[MKS_Drill*,ATLAS_Harvester*]:HAS[@MODULE[USI_Harvester],@MODULE[ModuleCoreHeat]]:FOR[UmbraSpaceIndustries,SystemHeat] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/MKS_Drill_02A.cfg/PART[MKS_Drill_02A]
[LOG 14:06:53.622] Applying update SlabKingIndustries/SystemHeatUSIHarvesters/@PART[MKS_Drill*,ATLAS_Harvester*]:HAS[@MODULE[USI_Harvester],@MODULE[ModuleCoreHeat]]:FOR[UmbraSpaceIndustries,SystemHeat] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/MKS_Drill_03.cfg/PART[MKS_Drill_03]
[LOG 14:06:53.622] Applying update SlabKingIndustries/SystemHeatUSIHarvesters/@PART[MKS_Drill*,ATLAS_Harvester*]:HAS[@MODULE[USI_Harvester],@MODULE[ModuleCoreHeat]]:FOR[UmbraSpaceIndustries,SystemHeat] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/MKS_Drill_03A.cfg/PART[MKS_Drill_03A]
[LOG 14:06:53.623] Applying update SlabKingIndustries/SystemHeatUSIHarvesters/@PART[MKS_Drill*,ATLAS_Harvester*]:HAS[@MODULE[USI_Harvester],@MODULE[ModuleCoreHeat]]:FOR[UmbraSpaceIndustries,SystemHeat] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/Atlas/ATLAS_Harvester_LG.cfg/PART[ATLAS_Harvester_Lg]
[LOG 14:06:53.623] Applying update SlabKingIndustries/SystemHeatUSIHarvesters/@PART[MKS_Drill*,ATLAS_Harvester*]:HAS[@MODULE[USI_Harvester],@MODULE[ModuleCoreHeat]]:FOR[UmbraSpaceIndustries,SystemHeat] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/Atlas/ATLAS_Harvester_LG_a.cfg/PART[ATLAS_Harvester_Lg_a]
[LOG 14:06:53.623] Applying update SlabKingIndustries/SystemHeatUSIHarvesters/@PART[MKS_Drill*,ATLAS_Harvester*]:HAS[@MODULE[USI_Harvester],@MODULE[ModuleCoreHeat]]:FOR[UmbraSpaceIndustries,SystemHeat] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/Atlas/ATLAS_Harvester_SM.cfg/PART[ATLAS_Harvester_Sm]
[LOG 14:06:53.623] Applying update SlabKingIndustries/SystemHeatUSIHarvesters/@PART[MKS_Drill*,ATLAS_Harvester*]:HAS[@MODULE[USI_Harvester],@MODULE[ModuleCoreHeat]]:FOR[UmbraSpaceIndustries,SystemHeat] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/Atlas/ATLAS_Harvester_SM_a.cfg/PART[ATLAS_Harvester_Sm_a]
[LOG 14:06:53.628] Applying update SlabKingIndustries/SystemHeatUSIHarvesters/@PART[MKS_Drill_01*,ATLAS_Harvester*]:FOR[UmbraSpaceIndustries,SystemHeat] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/MKS_Drill_01.cfg/PART[MKS_Drill_01]
[LOG 14:06:53.628] Applying update SlabKingIndustries/SystemHeatUSIHarvesters/@PART[MKS_Drill_01*,ATLAS_Harvester*]:FOR[UmbraSpaceIndustries,SystemHeat] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/MKS_Drill_01A.cfg/PART[MKS_Drill_01A]
[LOG 14:06:53.629] Applying update SlabKingIndustries/SystemHeatUSIHarvesters/@PART[MKS_Drill_01*,ATLAS_Harvester*]:FOR[UmbraSpaceIndustries,SystemHeat] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/Atlas/ATLAS_Harvester_LG.cfg/PART[ATLAS_Harvester_Lg]
[LOG 14:06:53.629] Applying update SlabKingIndustries/SystemHeatUSIHarvesters/@PART[MKS_Drill_01*,ATLAS_Harvester*]:FOR[UmbraSpaceIndustries,SystemHeat] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/Atlas/ATLAS_Harvester_LG_a.cfg/PART[ATLAS_Harvester_Lg_a]
[LOG 14:06:53.629] Applying update SlabKingIndustries/SystemHeatUSIHarvesters/@PART[MKS_Drill_01*,ATLAS_Harvester*]:FOR[UmbraSpaceIndustries,SystemHeat] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/Atlas/ATLAS_Harvester_SM.cfg/PART[ATLAS_Harvester_Sm]
[LOG 14:06:53.629] Applying update SlabKingIndustries/SystemHeatUSIHarvesters/@PART[MKS_Drill_01*,ATLAS_Harvester*]:FOR[UmbraSpaceIndustries,SystemHeat] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/Atlas/ATLAS_Harvester_SM_a.cfg/PART[ATLAS_Harvester_Sm_a]
[LOG 14:06:53.632] Applying update SlabKingIndustries/SystemHeatUSIHarvesters/@PART[MKS_Drill_02*]:FOR[UmbraSpaceIndustries,SystemHeat] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/MKS_Drill_02.cfg/PART[MKS_Drill_02]
[LOG 14:06:53.633] Applying update SlabKingIndustries/SystemHeatUSIHarvesters/@PART[MKS_Drill_02*]:FOR[UmbraSpaceIndustries,SystemHeat] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/MKS_Drill_02A.cfg/PART[MKS_Drill_02A]
[LOG 14:06:53.636] Applying update SlabKingIndustries/SystemHeatUSIHarvesters/@PART[MKS_Drill_03*]:FOR[UmbraSpaceIndustries,SystemHeat] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/MKS_Drill_03.cfg/PART[MKS_Drill_03]
[LOG 14:06:53.636] Applying update SlabKingIndustries/SystemHeatUSIHarvesters/@PART[MKS_Drill_03*]:FOR[UmbraSpaceIndustries,SystemHeat] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/MKS_Drill_03A.cfg/PART[MKS_Drill_03A]
[LOG 14:06:53.640] Applying update SlabKingIndustries/SystemHeatUSIHarvesters/@PART[ATLAS_Harvester_Sm*]:FOR[UmbraSpaceIndustries,SystemHeat] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/Atlas/ATLAS_Harvester_SM.cfg/PART[ATLAS_Harvester_Sm]
[LOG 14:06:53.641] Applying update SlabKingIndustries/SystemHeatUSIHarvesters/@PART[ATLAS_Harvester_Sm*]:FOR[UmbraSpaceIndustries,SystemHeat] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/Atlas/ATLAS_Harvester_SM_a.cfg/PART[ATLAS_Harvester_Sm_a]
[LOG 14:06:53.644] Applying update SlabKingIndustries/SystemHeatUSIHarvesters/@PART[ATLAS_Harvester_Lg*]:FOR[UmbraSpaceIndustries,SystemHeat] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/Atlas/ATLAS_Harvester_LG.cfg/PART[ATLAS_Harvester_Lg]
[LOG 14:06:53.644] Applying update SlabKingIndustries/SystemHeatUSIHarvesters/@PART[ATLAS_Harvester_Lg*]:FOR[UmbraSpaceIndustries,SystemHeat] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/Atlas/ATLAS_Harvester_LG_a.cfg/PART[ATLAS_Harvester_Lg_a]
[LOG 14:06:53.649] Applying update SlabKingIndustries/SystemHeatUSIReactors/@PART[*_PDU]:FOR[UmbraSpaceIndustries,SystemHeat] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/Duna_PDU.cfg/PART[Duna_PDU]
[LOG 14:06:53.649] Applying update SlabKingIndustries/SystemHeatUSIReactors/@PART[*_PDU]:FOR[UmbraSpaceIndustries,SystemHeat] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/Tundra_PDU.cfg/PART[Tundra_PDU]
[LOG 14:06:53.652] Applying update SlabKingIndustries/SystemHeatUSIReactors/@PART[Tundra_PDU]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleSystemHeatBaseConverterAdapter]]:FOR[UmbraSpaceIndustries,SystemHeat] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/Tundra_PDU.cfg/PART[Tundra_PDU]

Just share your module manager logs+cache.

i can't put the entire logs here and i don't know how to put a file. Sorry.

4 hours ago, Cuj0 said:

i can't put the entire logs here and i don't know how to put a file. Sorry.

Upload the log to a file sharing site, like Pastebin, DropBox, Google Drive, OneDrive, etc, and then link it here. Logs are pretty critical to helping you. Without them, it's basically guesswork trying to figure out the problem.

• 1 month later...
On 6/22/2021 at 12:57 PM, Nertea said:

Yes.

Honestly I have no idea at the moment in terms of how to deal with EVA construction in a gameplay fashion. I'll have to think about it. 

Minor 0.4.3 update:

• Added CRP as a dependency as it is needed if using the Extras patches related to fission reactors/engines
  • FissionReactor and FissionEngine (if electrical generator) modules now fulfill electrical generation parameters of contracts

I take it there's still no way to make loops happen in construction? I have the one tiny KerboPower nuclear reactor on a Duna base and am contemplating installing this alongside FFT, but I worry that reactor will lose its ability to get cooled.

e: Looks like the loop select GUI lets you assign items to loops on the fly in any vessel. This is pretty swell.

Edited by Ivy

On 9/14/2021 at 10:21 PM, Krzeszny said:

The Harvester configuration addon from SystemHeat is broken.

A bit late, but try editing line 29 in genericHarvesters.cfg, capitalizing the E:

!ThermalEfficiency {} vs !Thermalefficiency {}

11 hours ago, Rodger said:

A bit late, but try editing line 29 in genericHarvesters.cfg, capitalizing the E:

!ThermalEfficiency {} vs !Thermalefficiency {}

Wow you're amazing. It finally works, after nearly 1 year from my report. I'm making a pull request on GitHub.

There's also another problem, but this time not game-breaking by any means:

The first time you start mining, `Ore rate` shows `Load <value>`. When you restart it, it'll only show `Operational`.
I tested it without SystemHeat and it only doesn't show Load in vanilla when the temperature is optimal. With SystemHeat installed, it'll never show Load after initially starting a given drill, even if the system has cooled down, even after time warping (tested in KRASH, didn't test reloading a save). I'm also reporting this in SH's GitHub (not expecting it to be fixed tbh.)

Edited by Krzeszny

I have a bug when using this with NearFutureElectrical Fission reactor. There is a huge spike in heat when I close down the reactor, even when adding extra radiator. The reactor scram trigger this as well.

I am using allot of mods and I am not sure if one of them cause that problem. Anyone else have this issue?

To reproduce:
1: Pick a Reactor, add radiator until heat is under control.
2: Launch the craft.
3: Activate the reactor/radiator and wait until the reactor reach nominal temperature.
4: Close the reactor.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/17/2022 at 2:41 AM, Cuj0 said:

Here : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1tIvT9dOI1ZMGq7pKnN5nL_8UsJz5qPSu?usp=sharing

There is all the logs i found.

I hope this will help.

Thanks for sharing. 2 questions:

• Can you create a ship with some harvesters/drils launch it, and share the logs after that point?
  • Can you also share the ModuleManagerConfig Cache (Main Gamedata folder) and the ModuleManagerPatch.log (KSP/logs/Modulemanager)

The logs you've shared indicate that the patches are being applied successfully, but there's probably something wrong with the Harvester Index field, which I'll be able to debug using the cache. It's likely some mod adding new modules to your harvesters and changing the ordering of the modules.

Edited by AtomicRocketBooster

On 5/25/2022 at 12:00 AM, Grimmas said:

@AtomicRocketBooster I'll give this a try. I was actually in the middle of writing my own USI SystemHeat patch today but then I saw this. Though I started with the USI Reactors from the Reactor Pack, which you do not cover, so I still have some work to do :)

One thing, FOR[X] will always trigger as it forces MM to define the keywords used if they do not yet exist. For a compatibility patch like this you should use NEEDS[X] instead.

Edit: I've uploaded a SystemHeat patch for USI ReactorPack and FTT, which can be found here.  Seems to work fine but if anyone sees issues please let me know. This covers the remaining USI reactors and the StarLifter reactor (which strangely wasn't generating any heat before). The only things not covered are the PackRat RTGs and the ART Jaw.

Dumb question, where would this file be placed?

35 minutes ago, KSPMoose said:

Dumb question, where would this file be placed?

It's not a dumb question by any means.  If you're new to KSP modding and Module Manager (MM) patches, it's a question you just have to have answered.:D  Inquiring minds and all that!

MM patches can go anywhere in your GameData since MM reads all .cfg files in that folder.  However, I would recommend you create a folder in GameData just for your personal MM files.  This collects your customizations in one place and separates them from those supplied by mods (and there can be hundreds of those).  Don't put them in an existing mod folder.  They could (and likely will) get overwritten or deleted if and when you update that mod.

Give the patch files descriptive names so you can identify them at a glance.  The name is unimportant as long as you have a .cfg extension.  Add your own comments to the file to remind you when and why you added the patch.

Revisit this directory on a regular basis to see if your changes are still needed and functional.

HTH

On 8/30/2022 at 2:48 PM, Brigadier said:

It's not a dumb question by any means.  If you're new to KSP modding and Module Manager (MM) patches, it's a question you just have to have answered.:D  Inquiring minds and all that!

MM patches can go anywhere in your GameData since MM reads all .cfg files in that folder.  However, I would recommend you create a folder in GameData just for your personal MM files.  This collects your customizations in one place and separates them from those supplied by mods (and there can be hundreds of those).  Don't put them in an existing mod folder.  They could (and likely will) get overwritten or deleted if and when you update that mod.

Give the patch files descriptive names so you can identify them at a glance.  The name is unimportant as long as you have a .cfg extension.  Add your own comments to the file to remind you when and why you added the patch.

Revisit this directory on a regular basis to see if your changes are still needed and functional.

HTH

Thank you SO MUCH for just a straight forward and 100% descriptive answer! I've felt like I've only been getting bits and pieces wherever I go and the frustration was starting to chip away at the enjoyment of the game. Many, many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, kerbalboi said:

im using far future and its a dependency 

I wouldn't advise you to deactivate heat from FFT parts as heat is basically the core of the mod. But, as I've committed such sins myself in the past, I might be able to give you a hand.

As far as I know, there's no default way to remove the heat generation from far future engines. But you can try to make your own patch to achieve what you want. If you open the cfg files from the engines, i.e. the fft-antimatter-beam-1.cfg (I guess this is the frisbee engine) from parts/engines/antimatter you will see two modules: ModuleSystemHeat and ModuleSystemHeatEngine. I am not in my computer to test it, but my guess is if you just remove these modules it will work. 

Of course, changing config files directly from mods is not advised, I recommend you to make your own patch and remove the modules dynamically. If you don't know how to write module manager configs let me know and I might be able to do it and test when I get back to my computer the next few days.

5 hours ago, beez1717 said:

I love this mod so much, but I want to be able to use other radiators.

Name the other radiator mods (except KSPI-E) and someone may write integration patches for them.

Or is this mod somehow integrating every other mod's radiators and you want it to not do that? (I don't know if this is normal behavior. If it's abnormal, I don't know yet what mod would cause it.)

5 hours ago, beez1717 said:

Maybe it would be a good idea to have an item that can convert system  heat to the stock heating system.

The point of this mod is to not be the stock heating system. If you want just radiators, install Nertea's Heat Control and not this.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2022 at 4:08 AM, Nertea said:

I'm retired, I work on what I want when I want.

Whoa there, I'm not suggesting you should work on anything. In fact, me and Rodger have done all the work. I only wanted to remind you about a one-character pull request I've made, and not for myself (I've already fixed it months ago on my PC), but for all other Kerbonauts who use SystemHeat and might not know how to fix it.

Anyway, if anyone else wants to fix the harvester addon which enables SystemHeat for modded drills, all you need to do is edit the file in Kerbal Space Program/GameData/SystemHeatHarvesters/genericHarvesters.cfg  and change `Thermalefficiency ` into `ThermalEfficiency ` (as mentioned a few posts above).

Edited by Krzeszny
File path, clarification