[1.12.x] SystemHeat - a replacement for the CoreHeat system (October 9)

Nertea

Sorry for the stupid question. Are flights close to the star correctly simulated? it's just that the ship overheated and exploded despite the presence of graphene radiators. It seems that only the details of the thermal loops are cooled, everything else is overheating. and in general do the loops somehow thermally interact with the rest of the ship?

Sorry for my English

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2023 at 3:34 PM, VladTonk said:

Sorry for the stupid question. Are flights close to the star correctly simulated? it's just that the ship overheated and exploded despite the presence of graphene radiators. It seems that only the details of the thermal loops are cooled, everything else is overheating. and in general do the loops somehow thermally interact with the rest of the ship?

Sorry for my English

Perhaps you noticed this problem during time warp? Sometimes I have heat related bugs during high time warp levels. Even in stock KSP. And it gets progressively worse as you get closer to the star or activate stronger time warp levels.

AFAIK, System heat only handles internal heat, not heat from the star. But  from my experience, it allows KSP's engine to use the radiators for stock heat handling (heat from the star). I tested a ship with a thermometer close to the star and the temperature actually decreased when I activated the radiator (from the system heat mod).

On 2/19/2023 at 3:33 AM, mateusviccari said:

Perhaps you noticed this problem during time warp? Sometimes I have heat related bugs during high time warp levels. Even in stock KSP. And it gets progressively worse as you get closer to the star or activate stronger time warp levels.

AFAIK, System heat only handles internal heat, not heat from the star. But  from my experience, it allows KSP's engine to use the radiators for stock heat handling (heat from the star). I tested a ship with a thermometer close to the star and the temperature actually decreased when I activated the radiator (from the system heat mod).

The problem manifests itself immediately when the ship is loaded at the tracking station. At first, at a sufficient distance from the star, the ship had time to cool down. But after a certain point, it began to explode from overheating. apparently, the heat transfer from the heated parts of the ship (if it is available and correctly calculated) does not have time to remove heat.

• 1 month later...

Hey, I'm just getting into this mod and was wondering if the NERV is supposed to be part of a loop? In the part info tab in the VAB, it doesn't say the whole "this part uses system heat" thing for the NERV, and I was just wondering if that's intentional or not, as I couldn't conclude so from the wiki info. 

4 hours ago, Lord Squonk said:

Hey, I'm just getting into this mod and was wondering if the NERV is supposed to be part of a loop? In the part info tab in the VAB, it doesn't say the whole "this part uses system heat" thing for the NERV, and I was just wondering if that's intentional or not, as I couldn't conclude so from the wiki info. 

You may not have the nuclear engines module installed.

Anywho, bug report of my own for the CryoEngines patch: if the loop temperature exceeds the boiloff point, it doesn't seem to ever stop boiling off. What I suspect is happening at the code end is right here:

https://github.com/post-kerbin-mining-corporation/SystemHeat/blob/master/SystemHeat/SystemHeat/Modules/ModuleSystemHeatCryoTank.cs#L659

The radiators on my craft are probably asymptotically approaching 300K from above, and are at something like 300.00001K. However, it's a strict <= comparison, so it needs to actually reach 300K to stop the boiloff. 299.99999K is alright if you start from below, but 300.00001K isn't.

The quick-and-dirty fix is to multiply getMaxSourceTemperature() at that line by something like 1.001. The more elegant fix is to have the loop temperature setpoint held a few Kelvins below the boiloff point.

Edited by Starman4308

5 hours ago, Starman4308 said:

You may not have the nuclear engines module installed.

Anywho, bug report of my own for the CryoEngines patch: if the loop temperature exceeds the boiloff point, it doesn't seem to ever stop boiling off. What I suspect is happening at the code end is right here:

https://github.com/post-kerbin-mining-corporation/SystemHeat/blob/master/SystemHeat/SystemHeat/Modules/ModuleSystemHeatCryoTank.cs#L659

The radiators on my craft are probably asymptotically approaching 300K from above, and are at something like 300.00001K. However, it's a strict <= comparison, so it needs to actually reach 300K to stop the boiloff. 299.99999K is alright if you start from below, but 300.00001K isn't.

The quick-and-dirty fix is to multiply getMaxSourceTemperature() at that line by something like 1.001. The more elegant fix is to have the loop temperature setpoint held a few Kelvins below the boiloff point.

Nope, definitely have the engine module installed. That's why I'm confused :/

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I got this exception:

[EXC 19:02:32.687] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	SystemHeat.SystemHeatEditor.FixedUpdate () (at <2e62a3a58b7b49e4b572caf6a58e7a44>:0)
	UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

KSP.log

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to make this heat exchanger work, but for some reason it isn't moving any heat, just producing it.

Got my stock drills on loop 0, and the ISRU on loop 1, with a bunch of radiators on both.

There's zero flux on loop 0 despite being over temp, and just the 2kw idle output on loop 1 despite being under temp.

Clicking the transfer direction button does nothing which is also confusing.

Do they not work if added to a ship via KAS?   I did try restarting KSP, and it is still behaving the same.

KSP_HX_Flux2.png

Looking at the save, the problem seems to be in HeatRate being unset, possibly when built via Extraplanetary Launchpads.

Fixing that value and loading makes it work.

MODULE
				{
					name = ModuleSystemHeatExchanger
					isEnabled = True
					ToggleSource = True
					HeatRate = 0
					OutletAdjustement = 100
					Enabled = True
					stagingEnabled = True

PPS:

Looks like the default max transfer rate is zero instead of 2000, so just building it without tweaking in the VAB makes it useless.

I think I got this figured out now :)

Edited by suicidejunkie
more info found

• 1 month later...

Curious how System Heat interacts with Real Fuels with regards to boiloff. I have both installed and both have boiloff as a feature, but that has me a little worried that they will end up double dipping and causing me issues. Searching through both threads hasn't returned any sort of relevant results, so I'm wondering if there is any information about whether or not they are compatible or will cause each other issues.

Thanks

Edited by SpacedInvader

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having an odd issue caused by the resource converter configuration (which I now have a lot of vessels using, and I love it).

The issue is a new mining base I built with a ton of drills and huge ISRU.  It's meant to "Klaw" a tanker ship to transport fuel (it's on robotic arms so it can grab/fit any size/shape vessel).  But it doesn't work right.

Expected behavior:  Stock game says an ISRU will pull ore and push fuel out to all tanks on vessel, regardless of their location.

Current behavior (with SystemHeat and ResourceConverter Config):  ISRU will pull ore from any tank on the vessel, but will NOT push fuel across the klaw/grabber.

Any ideas or advice?

I made a much smaller craft to do my testing to narrow down the mod/cause.  Screenshots below:

https://imgur.com/a/woV3qh7

I have this and all the extras installed, but the cryotank cooling  and nuclear engine heat are not showing up in the system monitor. Is this normal?

EDIT: The thermal nf systems monitor doesn't work with systemheat, systemheat has its own

Edited by dlrk

Are boiloff tanks boiling in timewarp, but not in normal speed a bug or a sign of inadequate cooling?

EDIT: It wasn't the warp, it was the attitude changing

Edited by dlrk

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, I would like to upgrade my gaming experience a bit and have tried SystemHeat.

Unfortunately, I can't get anything to work here:

The following mods are installed:

KSP-System-Heat-Mod-List.jpg

As a test, I have installed a fresh KSP version 1.12.5.3190 with all DLCs:

KSP-System-Heat-KSP-Version.jpg

If I now open the info site of parts, there is no hint that this part is used for the mod:

KSP-System-Heat-Converter.jpg

And also if I use the part there is no symbol of the heat mod on it:

KSP-System-Heat-No-Symbol.jpg

Also the parts don't generate any heat.

This is what it looks like for another test and I only get the mod symbols on radiators:

KSP-System-Heat-No-Heat-Generation.jpg

What am I doing wrong?

Regards

@WolfS Hi there. :P My answer may not be complete but, for one thing, you want to get System Heat's extras. SystemHeatConverters and SystemHeatHarvesters make any ISRU that consumes ElectricCharge require System Heat capable radiators. Also consider the Heat Control mod which is a high temp radiator parts pack which integrates with System Heat. SystemHeatFissionEngines and SystemHeatIonEngines have a config for the stock nuke and stock ion respectively so get those too.

Speaking of extras - one additional complexity I'd love to add to the game is heat generated from living space, but my MM kung fu is not strong enough.

I'm guessing adding some proportional heat generation (even if small) to all parts that have crew > 0 is probably straight forward, but not sure how to set up a mm patch. A more complex implementation may be to have ONLY parts that are currently populated generate heat (so an empty station/craft generates no heat), but an abstracted approach may work fine as well. Anyone have suggestions? 

26 minutes ago, OldMold said:

Speaking of extras - one additional complexity I'd love to add to the game is heat generated from living space, but my MM kung fu is not strong enough.

I'm guessing adding some proportional heat generation (even if small) to all parts that have crew > 0 is probably straight forward, but not sure how to set up a mm patch. A more complex implementation may be to have ONLY parts that are currently populated generate heat (so an empty station/craft generates no heat), but an abstracted approach may work fine as well. Anyone have suggestions? 

Heat generated from living space doesn't have much value by itself and is easily resolved by adding more boosters radiators. The ship is not concerned then. It's also a waste on your CPU as-is, as more converter processes means more lag and the process needs to produce or consume something which can also be wasteful. Incidentally, I share your idea exactly in a proposal for a System Heat inspired life support mod.

5 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@WolfS Hi there. :P My answer may not be complete but, for one thing, you want to get System Heat's extras. SystemHeatConverters and SystemHeatHarvesters make any ISRU that consumes ElectricCharge require System Heat capable radiators. Also consider the Heat Control mod which is a high temp radiator parts pack which integrates with System Heat. SystemHeatFissionEngines and SystemHeatIonEngines have a config for the stock nuke and stock ion respectively so get those too.

@JadeOfMaar

I tank you so much kind sir!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone else having issues with Engine Cooling? I have 0.6.0 installed and the engine cooling % in the VAB Part info is blank as well has not displaying in the PAW in flight. As far as I can tell the engine(s) aren't producing any cooling effect when at throttle either. Which as I understand was introduced somewhere around 0.4.0.

I did a brief test and installed System Heat 0.6.0 & 0.4.0 on a fresh install with no other mods and the Engine Cooling info was displayed in both the VAB and PAW with 0.4.0 installed (but not 0.6.0). I didn't do much beyond that because now I'm worried its some other mod conflict or something on my end. Just wanted to double check before I started down a rabbit hole.

Cheers,

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello, BUG report.

both nuclear fuel container and reactors stops showing nuclear waste bar in editor, while in flight, fuel transfer is impossible between these two parts. which makes the container completely useless.

Any resource removal related to EnrichedUranium and DepletedFuel is impossible (with or without five star engineer). the transmit button is gone too.

JyPkh8KB.png

The issue is causing by these two specific folders, it only happens when using NFE with these two. Remove them and the problem goes away but I do need them so please help me...

QrKY0jJx.png

Edited by jebycheek

1 hour ago, jebycheek said:

Hello, BUG report.

both nuclear fuel container and reactors stops showing nuclear waste bar in editor, while in flight, fuel transfer is impossible between these two parts. which makes the container completely useless.

Any resource removal related to EnrichedUranium and DepletedFuel is impossible (with or without five star engineer). the transmit button is gone too.

JyPkh8KB.png

The issue is causing by these two specific folders, it only happens when using NFE with these two. Remove them and the problem goes away but I do need them so please help me...

QrKY0jJx.png

Are you playing with the dev branch of near future electrical or the public release? If you are using the development version, you should delete “systemheatfissionreactors” folder.