[We need more posts! (Like seriously, a lot more)] Let's Make This the Megathread!

Misguided Kerbal

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

As a star wars fan you should know then, What General is Kenobi?

Did you actually see his rank written somewhere or just heard it?

Putting on my science fiction and science fantasy nerd hat for a bit...

Okay, there are two places his rank as "general" is mentioned specifically.

The very first one is Star Wars: Episode IV (A New Hope). Remember this was the first and original Star Wars movie. R2D2 was given a message to deliver to Obiwan Kenobi, as that's who the droid said he belonged to. And the encrypted message was for "General Kenobi, you served with my father in the Clone War..."

The bigger problem is how did Lando become a general?

In the prequel trilogy, we see that played out in Star Wars: Episode 2 (The Clone Wars). Jedi were supposedly master tacticians. Unfortunately, the novels deal a great deal with this but the movies don't. Any member of the Jedi Council who accompanied troops was given the title of "general." And the Jedi Council, at the request of the Senate of the Republic, could submit the names of non-Jedi-Council members to be commissioned as "generals" when needed. It all had to do with the individual's strength within the Force and to use that power to direct the troops into the least deadly outcome while achieving the greatest tactical victory. 

The Star Wars universe was created by a man who had very little experience with military structure. Just as there are many types of generals (for example, the U.S. uses Brigadier General *, Major General **, Lieutenant General ***, General ****, and General of the Army *****), most navies have a similar naval structure (again, using the U.S. example, Commodore/Rear Admiral Junior Grade *, Rear Admiral **, Vice Admiral ***, Admiral ****, and Admiral of the Navy/Fleet Admiral *****).  Star Wars doesn't do that - it's simply General and Admiral.  There's no lower ranking officer, seniority is based off the command position and not the rank.

43 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

yeah, I like TNG too

though proton torpedos are better than photon torpedos :D

Not in my opinion. A proton torpedo has a small warhead and can be fired from a single-person craft. A photon torpedo is much larger and uses an anti-matter payload as it's ordinance. And look at the size of a standard photon torpedo - Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan did give us their size - about the size of a coffin!

What also makes a photon torpedo more efficient than a proton torpedo is the drive system. The proton torpedo uses a solid propellant and is limited to the propellant's properties. While the photon torpedo also uses propellant, it can achieve a velocity just shy of warp speed - which means it also acts as an inertia-based weapon. Anything hitting your vessel at near-the-speed-of-light velocity is going to do damage. But when it releases an antimatter payload after it hits - wow! And if you fire them at warp speed, the speed increases exponentially - we see that demonstrated in Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

Other characteristics we know about photon torpedoes is until they are activated, they cannot explode. In Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, if this were not the case, when Reliant's phasers destroyed the Enterprise's port side torpedo bay, if the torpedoes had detonated, the saucer section would have been blown completely off the secondary hull. We also know from Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country that torpedoes can be programmed to be smart torpedoes - like we have smart bombs or smart ordinance today that looks for heat signatures and radio waves. The proton torpedoes used in Star Wars were point attack weapons and could not do that.

Then there's Star Trek: First Contact and we get our first glimpse of the third generation torpedo - the quantum torpedo. One of the  books I picked up by the folks who are the brains behind the Star Trek franchise (husband and wife team, I cannot recall their name without going upstairs to my collection) said the quantum torpedo was capable of warp speed on it's own, contained compressed antimatter (three times the standard payload) but was propelled by a quantum drive that causes the torpedo to phase in and out of normal space - like the Borg ships often do. So...

Ask anyone who knows me, I have a lot of Star Trek stuff here at the house and am a certified Star Trek nerd!

23 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

it's always just a disk

Everything from the Victory to the Allegiance look like Tweakscaled Imperials. Now compare a Miranda-class to an Intrepid, or Excelsior to Prometheus. There's a bit more than tweakscale and kitbashed freaks like the Curry-class.

2 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

who are the brains behind the Star Trek franchise (husband and wife team

Do they happen to be the Okudas? Or was it someone else

6 minutes ago, OrdinaryKerman said:

Do they happen to be the Okudas? Or was it someone else

One team is the Okudas, and for some reason, I think one of the other teams is Bragada or something like that... Good lord, I have an entire 3" shelf of the Star Trek source books published since the release of Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

1 hour ago, OrdinaryKerman said:

So an oversized Tector? Not the best example of supposed design genius

it's supposed to be paired with stuf like secutors (perfect match) or venators, and of course corvets and frigates (like the lancer, super effective against starfighters)

or it's an addition to an already big fleet that needs more firepower, like an fleet with an executor or eclipse and multible ISDs (1 and 2)

also ship to ship combat is just the empire's doctrine, not anti starfighter combat, that's more of an Rebel/Republic/Alliance thing

38 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

hah

nerds

''you shall be executed for assisting the killing of billions of lifeforms'' -extremely rough quote that propably didn't happen, reffering to bewel lemelisk, the (legends) designer of the deathstars, the tarkin (ship), the death star prototype, the conqueror (a rather silly ship, essentially an ISD with a superlaser, it only appeared in a trading card game) and the darksaber, and some others.

Imagine a proton torpedo that flies with hyperspace and has self defense and can destroy an entire planet, and have a giant launcher for it

wait...

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Galaxy_Gun

It's sad that the Eclipse 2 rammed it, damm you R2 and Luke!

also, I'm more interested into the vehicles and weapons in SW than in for example jedi or the force, just how I'm interested in pretty much all tanks, ships and planes from WW2 but not that much for for example the Gewehr 43 or the m1 Garand

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

Any member of the Jedi Council who accompanied troops was given the title of "general."

So, that's what I mean.
"Fellow Jedies! Generally speaking, we are Generals. Yes, Kenobi, U2. UR a General Kenobi, not a Chosen Kenobi, stop trolling...  yoding... Like if you are our only hope.
Btw, while Yoda is not here, do you know why Yoda is not a troll? Because there are no bridges on his swamp."

Edited by kerbiloid

french is really good, german is 80% meh though the ''more exotical ones'' are good, like with pepper and chili

I newer saw even a little bit of cheese in morocco for some reason, I even saw more in croatia where I was only some weeks, where I was 5 times in morocco xD

lol Lisias video in the annoy the user above you permanently changed the way how I see adsiis profile picture, like I know the muppet guy before and the video but it changed something in my brain and now the picture looks different (or I'm just tired)