Kerbal Space Program 2 to be released [at unspecified date in 2022]

UomoCapra

Back in August 2019 I expressed my doubts we'd see a 2020 launch; that's simply not how software development works. I'm not trying to look smug here because fall 2021 wasn't what I was betting on either, but that's the nature of the beast I guess. That's a long time away so it's more realistic to expect mid 2022 and that's a long time away.

Those that accused Squad of fraud for continuing to work on a "dead" game and publish DLC: I'm glad they haven't closed up shop and that we continue to see exciting new content. Keep it up, @SQUAD!

I just hope we get frequent updates on development, even if it's simple things like "this is how a planet looks from the surface" or "here's the new Epstein drive engine." We've had radio silence for a while now and bad news like a delayed release date is easier to digest if it's sandwiched in between stories about progress, regardless how little that is. I guess I got spoiled by System Era who did a really good job on keeping us updated on the development of Astroneer.

I feel strongly (read: hope a lot) that they've known this for a while internally but were not allowed to say anything before Take Two's earnings statement, which was also announced today.

If this is true, there is no (financial) reason to keep quiet now and they may have more frequent updates in the near future.

I can buy the game, download the whole thing, then pull a Matt Lowne and revert while retaining all of the data and memories, and then use that to give the developers and finish it in time for summer.

Edited by GuessingEveryDay
I seem to find my best ideas while I'm asleep.

I am extremely happy to hear that you have decided to Push the launch and take your time with the game.  Even tho we will have to wait a bit longer, I feel it is always best to not rush things out the door so this news gives me relief.  This change seems like the right move with what is going on in the world lately.  Please be sure to stay safe, healthy and to give us some regular ksp2 updates.

Thanks for making the right move.

1. So, probably KSP-1 development and modding are relevant at least for 1.5 years.

2. The KSP-2 subforum should be extended, as it will be by 1.5 years bigger than now.
KSP-2 fanfics subsubforum should be added inside. Actually, the whole subforum can be just renamed in it, anyway it consists totally of dreams.

3. Iirc their designer's note, they somewhat stuck with colonies. And as we can see, the grafix was already perfect in August.
Probably (just a guess) either performance (especially on multiplayer+timewarp+multiple multimodule colonies), or offline world issues.

4. KSP-1 modders should finally focus on the Orion (with pusher plate, not the capsule) mod repair/re-creation.
Otherwise we'll keep living without Orion for two years more, while as we can see, it's a mainstream.
Various plasmathrusters and daedaluses are already in KSPIE, the metallic hydrogen is a doubtful thing at all, but there is no Orion which was 1) very Kerbal, 2) the most/only realistic, 3) just cute.

5. "I would/won't buy this fo 60 USD" threads can be closed, as we don't know what is "60 USD" in late 2021.

Edited by kerbiloid

I dont think KSP2 will ruin the KSP mod scene. Sims2 modding is still a thing and they are up to Sims 4. There are always people that prefer the older game. I still prefer Civilisation 3 over any of the others.

I'm willing to bet that the KSP modding scene will carry on long after the release of KSP2.

Well, not totally unexpected, and it is 'only' a few months later than the end of the revised release schedule of 2020/21 fiscal year after all.

To be honest I didn't expect this much delay, but it is what it is.  'News' is better than 'No News' after all.  And my 'gut feeling' is that this is a more realistic target date they are more likely to hit, rather than an optimistic earlier and over ambitious one.

12 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

We understand this isn’t the news you were hoping to see, but ultimately we need to make the best decision for the development of Kerbal Space Program 2.

Believe me, it was. I was fearing for something... yet less then desirable. :)

KSP2 having a push back after such an... event... as covid19 is probably one of the best notices I had for months - it means that there's something to push back, and it is expected to be released.

11 hours ago, HansonKerman said:

but what if you overshoot

You'll end up in a highly elliptical orbit around the wrong game :( 

Of course it's a little sad to see KSP 2 get delayed, however...

1. Rather have it late and polished to a diamond sparkle, than early and glistening like a turd
  2. Hopefully our amazing modders will feel no need to park their projects any time soon, expanding the potentials of 1.x.x and helping the player base get even more value for money
  3. Everyone who partakes of modded games now knows they have loads of time to try several different setups and they won't become irrelevant

OTOH, this won't be the first software company (or even games company) to use c19 as cover for things that were going to be late anyway. At this point, gamers expect delays, and probably most of us are fine with it. See point 1 to 3 above :) 

On one hand, I'm sad to see that I'll have to wait so long for what is most likely my most-anticipated game ever.

On the other hand, this gives the developers more time to make KSP2 a true successor to KSP. I want KSP2 to surpass KSP as my favourite game of all time, and it looks like this delay will allow it to do just that. Another good thing about this delay is that by then I'll probably have a new computer that will allow me to experience the game in full.

Good luck, guys. Make it worth the wait :wink:

I’m firmly in the “take your time and do it justice” camp, having seen games developers (from small indie companies to major studios) push out games or updates that didn’t work right and then fix or pull them in embarrassing U-turns shortly afterwards. With such a big and passionate following for KSP, botching the release with a half finished or underwhelming game would be a good way to get saturated by complaints and bad publicity. And even if there were delays before, having a global pandemic to deal with takes priority; take as much time as necessary.

KSP isn’t going anywhere and will still get worked on (1.10 due in just over a month) and the thousands of mods for it are still available and will also be worked on by their maintainers/creators.. @kerbiloid I know of at least two mods that add Orion drives- ‘Project Orion’ and ‘Stockalike/Stockish Orion’ I believe.

While it’s disappointing to see the release knocked back that far, it’s still going to happen and it’s not like we’re stuck with nothing until it finally gets released.

11 hours ago, Oneiros said:

all the sequel really needs is updated graphics, a bit of a redesign & better optimisation. we don't need all those features like futuristic engines, interstellar travel, the colony builder, etc. they should drop the price of the core game, release it sooner & add those in DLC. don't let feature creep kill this project plz.

So, KSP with some graphics mods? That wouldn't be worth anything, would it? The entire point of KSp 2 is to be KSP 1 but futuristic.

21 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

So, KSP with some graphics mods? That wouldn't be worth anything, would it? The entire point of KSp 2 is to be KSP 1 but futuristic.

not really. Giving KSP some new planets and cloud mods and calling it a sequel would suck, and so would just making it futuristic. That’s not a “true successor”.

We don’t know what it is, but it will (must) surpass expectations.

1 minute ago, HansonKerman said:

not really. Giving KSP some new planets and cloud mods and calling it a sequel would suck, and so would just making it futuristic. That’s not a “true successor”.

12 hours ago, Oneiros said:

all the sequel really needs is updated graphics, a bit of a redesign & better optimisation. we don't need all those features like futuristic engines, interstellar travel, the colony builder, etc. they should drop the price of the core game, release it sooner & add those in DLC. don't let feature creep kill this project plz

we can get that for free through Restock and all the EVE mods. I don’t understand. That’s the opposite of what we want. If that was KSP2, it would have been out last moth.

2 hours ago, HansonKerman said:
2 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Then what is a """""true successor"""""?

Thats a very long delay, something more then covid must have not gone as planned here. 

But I'm very happy they chose to delay it and work on those problems instead of rushing a release with problems like a lot of companies do now days.

Looking forward to it when it eventually comes but have plenty to do in KSP1 first so no rush :D

4 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Then what is a """""true successor"""""?

We won't know unless KSP2 is one. You probably don't understand, but what I mean is thaty if KSP2 is a true successor, we will know. If it isn't, we willknow. It's definitely not either of them tho.