Kerbal Space Program 2 to be released [at unspecified date in 2022]

UomoCapra

1 minute ago, HansonKerman said:
4 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Then what is a """""true successor"""""?

We won't know unless KSP2 is one. You probably don't understand, but what I mean is thaty if KSP2 is a true successor, we will know. If it isn't, we willknow. It's definitely not either of them tho.

So you don't know what you're talking about?

1 minute ago, Bej Kerman said:

Exactly. None of us do until we figure it out. Maybe people don't agree, but I don't know what I want. If I get what I want, I will know. I don't want just Spectra, Restock and all of the Near Future Technologies to be integrated into stock and be paywalled, which seems like what you want. I don't know what I want, but if I get it, I will know. So, yes. I don't know what I'm talking about. Do I care? No. Can we end this conversation?

56 minutes ago, HansonKerman said:
1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

Exactly. None of us do until we figure it out.

Well I know that KSP 2 will be a good sequel if it delivers on its promises. Please refrain from talking about things when you don't even know what said things are all about.

Just now, Bej Kerman said:

Well I know that KSP 2 will be a good sequel if it delivers on its promises. Please refrain from talking about things when you don't even know what said things are all about.

Why? When you travel, you don't wonder what is going to happen there? You never talk about food you haven't eaten? I too, hope KSP2 delivers. You don't understand what I'm talking about is what I gather from this. Please stop arguing

13 minutes ago, EchoLima said:

Why, was Squad thinking of removing them? :P

lmao

A bag if mixed emotions from me here. Love that we got some news about the game, sad that the news is a delay, but I'm happy that the devs are passionate about the project and want to do a good job, and yet disappointed that a big reason for the pushback was something out of everyone's control. Nevertheless, it's still coming and I'm still excited for it!

We've seen multiple disruptions to the Star.Theory staff and facilities, and i don't even know if they're still the ones developing ATM or if they've just been absorbed into Private Division. And with the current chaos the world is undergoing; it's little surprise that the ambitious timeline fell apart. Especially given that they already delayed, and whoever you are, wherever you are have my sympathies. I'm just beginning my adventure into Software Development (Academically; not working), and learning the hard way that sometimes you can't make it work by just throwing people at it, you can't just brute-force your way past the issue, that there's no trick or magic wand to make it work.

You just have to put on your pants and wade right into the swamp of suck, and wrestle whatever issue you're having down to the muddy bottom until the solution shakes loose from it's jaws. So to all of you developers, i want to say one thing above all. For every person that's loudly asking you to slap something together, to release early or otherwise deliver a sub-standard product. There's a number more like me; who just want what's best for the game.

In short; Thank you for delaying KSP2.

^
I agree with my esteemed colleague just above. This news is unsurprising coming on the heels of Private Division taking over development and kicking Star Theory out, with a pandemic on top of that. I do hope they've put a good and highly motivated team together and are giving them all the resources they need to make this the KSP we're all dreaming of. And yes, getting it right is infinitely preferable to getting it quick – especially as this is the quintessential "long tail" game.

In the meantime, here's to looking forward to 1.10, fewer bugs, and prettier planets all around in KSP1 -- if they get the bugs squashed and the visual refresh done, with the performance improvements since 1.8 it will be a really hard act to beat!

19 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

^
I agree with my esteemed colleague just above. This news is unsurprising coming on the heels of Private Division taking over development and kicking Star Theory out, with a pandemic on top of that. I do hope they've put a good and highly motivated team together and are giving them all the resources they need to make this the KSP we're all dreaming of. And yes, getting it right is infinitely preferable to getting it quick – especially as this is the quintessential "long tail" game.

In the meantime, here's to looking forward to 1.10, fewer bugs, and prettier planets all around in KSP1 -- if they get the bugs squashed and the visual refresh done, with the performance improvements since 1.8 it will be a really hard act to beat!

Honestly at this point if KSP just had wheels and landing legs that acted in a predictable manner it would be perfect for me. And yes, that's my biggest gripe about KSP.

13 hours ago, HansonKerman said:
14 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Why? When you travel, you don't wonder what is going to happen there? You never talk about food you haven't eaten? I too, hope KSP2 delivers. You don't understand what I'm talking about is what I gather from this. Please stop arguing

KSP 2 will have much better performance and allow the construction of much larger structures than KSP 1, expanding possibilities. If that alone doesn't make KSP 2 a true sequel to you, I don't know what will. It looks quite difficult to make a sequel to a sandbox game since there's no story to expand on, so in KSP's case, all Star Theory can do is improve the explosions, add dynamic textures, add multiplayer and add interstellar travel, something we've been waiting for, for years. Can you just tell me what you expect KSP 2 to be? This conversation started because someone became paranoid that KSP 2 would become victim to feature creep even though there's nothing else planned other than expanding horizons, and they said that they didn't want colonies and interstellar travel, and I'm just trying to say, there'd be 0 point in KSP 2 if it didn't expand on KSP 1.

Well, I have been holding off playing a bit, due to not being inspired to do too much while 'waiting for 2'.  I guess I can just get on with it now I have about 18 months until the launch window.

Well this is the worse possible news.  They canceled a show I liked.  Ugh.

Anyway, glad to hear you guys are keeping safe.  I had a feeling Covid-19 would affect things.  Glad you guys are giving yourselves plenty of time!

Now to inspire certain mod makers to come back...

Edited by MashAndBangers

1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

KSP 2 will have much better performance and allow the construction of much larger structures than KSP 1, expanding possibilities. If that alone doesn't make KSP 2 a true sequel to you, I don't know what will. It looks quite difficult to make a sequel to a sandbox game since there's no story to expand on, so in KSP's case, all Star Theory can do is improve the explosions, add dynamic textures, add multiplayer and add interstellar travel, something we've been waiting for, for years. Can you just tell me what you expect KSP 2 to be? This conversation started because someone became paranoid that KSP 2 would become victim to feature creep even though there's nothing else planned other than expanding horizons, and they said that they didn't want colonies and interstellar travel, and I'm just trying to say, there'd be 0 point in KSP 2 if it didn't expand on KSP 1.

1. I wholly agree

2. you now understand, thank you. I also hope that KSP2 will be good.

can we stop and all have a hug now

To be honest I expected this, and I (along with many other posters in this thread) applaud the decision to take the time you need, be safe, and put out the best product you can.

If I can get in a request, can you please make a feature presentation about what, if anything, you're going to do with 'airplane' parts in the sequel, and supporting atmo flight?  I think a lot of us would love to see if you're going to adopt a new model of drag and lift, maybe something akin to the FAR mod that is so popular.

That's all.  Keep calm and keep exploding.  (...now I want a poster of that)

7 hours ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

Honestly at this point if KSP just had wheels and landing legs that acted in a predictable manner it would be perfect for me. And yes, that's my biggest gripe about KSP.

The behavior of the ground interface devices has made me ragequit more missions...

17 hours ago, EchoLima said:

Why, was Squad thinking of removing them?

Because this is Kerbal Space Program, not the Surface one.

The same about all wheel whinings. It's not GTA. We even have no oncoming traffic. Even a kerb.
In the Kerbal Space Program we don't have a kerb...

3 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

KSP 2 will have much better performance and allow the construction of much larger structures than KSP 1, expanding possibilities

"will" → "potentially can"

We know nothing about its actual performance except several scripted animations run on unknown hardware, afaik.

I was waiting for the new Elite for ~20 years. Why not wait a couple of years more.

Edited by kerbiloid

I've never had a game I enjoyed and was worth playing, be released along it's original time line. 

I've never participated in a shipyard that launched on schedule, when I worked on boats. 

I never had a program that left the dock on time.  

I never had a job bid that executed on the originally scheduled date.  

And I've never been disappointed these things were delayed for the result.

This bodes well, actually.

Stay safe!

Edited by Bosun

14 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Because this is Kerbal Space Program, not the Surface one.

The same about all wheel whinings. It's not GTA. We even have no oncoming traffic. Even a kerb.
In the Kerbal Space Program we don't have a kerb...

"will" → "potentially can"

We know nothing about its actual performance except several scripted animations run on unknown hardware, afaik.

I was waiting for the new Elite for ~20 years. Why not wait a couple of years more.

In fact, I hope that the opportunities of 2020 will be used to really optimize the game and use all PC resources (including multi-threaded cores). I can’t even take to create a base on the moon. Because all the necessary things lead to 400-500 parts

Of course, I have graphical modifications that additionally cause brakes. But hell, I have an i7-8700, 32 GB of RAM and Vega 64, and the game itself is installed on an SSD. But the game will still slow down with more delatel because it was made in FORGOTTEN 2013.

One 50 MW nuclear reactor with all equipment contains about 100 parts. But this is only a reactor, and add here more plants for the production of hydrogen, various all-terrain vehicles for mining, a transport landing module, and in the end the residential bases themselves. The computer will explode.
7de1cd0829bc946508e2f08e0e6433ff.png

Edited by OOM

Take all the time you need!We will be patiently waiting!

My personal opinion is that even in Fall 2021 the game will be in a very alpha state, especially from optimization standpoint.

Most games lately are having that oh we released but we still gonna have a long fix it period.

Even triple A, its not like i am blaming indie devs.

Its like a new standard that even with full release there is a one or two year grace period to do some important fixes...

So Fall 2021, i guess maybe, hopefully Fall 2022 we could actually fly those humongous creations with 60+ fps.

Edited by Boyster

On 5/20/2020 at 8:28 PM, Kerbart said:

I just hope we get frequent updates on development, even if it's simple things like "this is how a planet looks from the surface" or "here's the new Epstein drive engine." We've had radio silence for a while now and bad news like a delayed release date is easier to digest if it's sandwiched in between stories about progress, regardless how little that is. I guess I got spoiled by System Era who did a really good job on keeping us updated on the development of Astroneer.

This!

I am happy to hear the team is keeping it safe and they have more time to develop and I'm happy to wait as long as it takes. It would just be nice to get little updates on progress here and there. The large 10-20 min unveilings are cool but a consistent biweekly snapshot here or there of small developments would be nicer in my opinion. I understand wanting to play it a bit close to the chest and surprise us with a whole universe but giving some info/stats/quirks wouldn't ruin that.

1 hour ago, Boyster said:

Take all the time you need!We will be patiently waiting!

My personal opinion is that even in Fall 2021 the game will be in a very alpha state, especially from optimization standpoint.

Most games lately are having that oh we released but we still gonna have a long fix it period.

Even triple A, its not like i am blaming indie devs.

Its like a new standard that even with full release there is a one or two year grace period to do some important fixes...

So Fall 2021, i guess maybe, hopefully Fall 2022 we could actually fly those humongous creations with 60+ fps.

Yes, there is not only no optimization, but also many types of rocket engines. We were shown ICF Daedalus, Orion, solid hydrogen rocket engines, magnetic nozzles. But damn ... where's the Z-Pinch? Bassard's engine? VASIMIR engines? Zubrin’s nuclear engine? and this is only a small part of the types of rocket engines. Plus, they didn’t show us a single nuclear \ fusion reactor, which cannot be done without. They are not going to power interstellar ships through solar panels)))

On 5/21/2020 at 6:04 AM, Dirkidirk said:

welp, the best way to make something come closer is to forget it exists. then you'll get thae big supris when is does come out.

Yes, that's true, I think...