Kerbal Space Program 2 to be released [at unspecified date in 2022]

UomoCapra

1 hour ago, Jimbodiah said:

In light of the news that just hit, chances of ever seeing a KSP2 have just dropped to zero.

Speaking as  regular community member, I think this is just the opposite. Uber/ST has a track record of under performing and failed deliveries IIRC.  Take Two specifically went for the KSP2 IP, which included some key personnel from within ST program.  I think this is more of a sign that TT is hell bent on publishing KSP2, on time (well, the new time), and up to standard.   I'm actually quite encouraged by this.  Time will tell though.

Now speaking as a Moderator, the discussion seems to be going full force over in this thread, so just to keep things simple, let's move the conversation over there.   @Jimbodiah, I will also quote your post there.

On 5/20/2020 at 2:30 PM, UomoCapra said:

forumBanner (2).png
We want to share an update for all of our Kerbal Space Program fans: We will now be releasing Kerbal Space Program 2 in Fall 2021.

As you all know, we’ve been working hard to make the best and most authentic KSP sequel possible. This is an ambitious goal. We are making a big, expansive game loaded with new features, but doing so will take longer than we previously anticipated. With everything going on in the world today due to the COVID-19 outbreak, we’re facing many unique challenges that require more time to safely iterate, create, test, and make KSP2 as great as it can be. We understand this isn’t the news you were hoping to see, but ultimately we need to make the best decision for the development of Kerbal Space Program 2. That said, we will continue to keep you updated with more feature videos, developer blogs, and other content to share our progress from now up to launch.  

We appreciate everyone who has been on this journey with us, we really can’t wait to be flying alongside all of you, and we look forward to sharing more along the way. Safe launches to all the Kerbonauts out there and stay tuned!

Kerbal Space Program 2 Dev Team

what does COVID have to do with coding and testing? You guys cant code from home? You code, commit changes to repository, download and test. You can do this from home. You can teleconference any meetings. Yeah im not buying this excuse at all. There is absolutely no reason they cant develop this game from anywhere in the world with the devs in separate locations. Please dont treat us like kids like squad did. Just tell us the truth! Come on man whats the REAL reason? I bet I know! github-mark.png

Edited by Redneck

it's a shame what happens for the studio trying to develop ksp2 ... it becomes difficult to dream of this game :( .

I would have dreamed a lot more if this project was a @SQUAD project.

because the results are there.

@SQUADmade me dream on ksp, like no other game.

I know that if @SQUAD had decided to develop ksp 2, it would be a monument. something completely incredible.

because of their experience on ksp1.

but this is a dream.

thank you @SQUAD for working so well on ksp1.

:cool:

Applaud the announcement. Concerned that Fall 2021 is not enough time though. Would rather see a more polished and bug squashed version in late 2022-2023. 

Fall 2021 smells like early access releaese.

Edited by fragtzack

16 hours ago, Redneck said:

what does COVID have to do with coding and testing? You guys cant code from home? You code, commit changes to repository, download and test. You can do this from home. You can teleconference any meetings. Yeah im not buying this excuse at all. There is absolutely no reason they cant develop this game from anywhere in the world with the devs in separate locations. Please dont treat us like kids like squad did. Just tell us the truth! Come on man whats the REAL reason? I bet I know! github-mark.png

Good luck coding when you have a family that could get infected to take care of.

21 hours ago, Gargamel said:
22 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

In light of the news that just hit, chances of ever seeing a KSP2 have just dropped to zero.

Speaking as  regular community member, I think this is just the opposite. Uber/ST has a track record of under performing and failed deliveries IIRC.  Take Two specifically went for the KSP2 IP, which included some key personnel from within ST program.  I think this is more of a sign that TT is hell bent on publishing KSP2, on time (well, the new time), and up to standard.   I'm actually quite encouraged by this.  Time will tell though.

Now speaking as a Moderator, the discussion seems to be going full force over in this thread, so just to keep things simple, let's move the conversation over there.   @Jimbodiah, I will also quote your post there.

You know, this (somewhat) gives me hope for a good KSP 2 release.

*Sigh* If they do ever make K.S.P 2, they will prob say "If you buy it you might get KSP 3!!!". DONT, the guys at TT are gonna try and mulipuate you. Besides, what company who would want to realise a game on time WOULD STEAL EMPLOYEES  AND MORE!!!  ;.;

I think we all buy KSP 2 no matter when it comes out. Regardless of the number of bugs. Regardless of whether it will be brought to the form that it was in the trailer for another five years. Squad taught us to enjoy the little things, not to pay attention to the sea of bugs and quickly forget unplayable patches

On 6/5/2020 at 4:39 AM, Cheif Operations Director said:

I will wait for the reviews on KSP 2

From KSP players, as nobody else would make a review?

"Well... Not that KSP1 we used to see, but hey!, this is KSP!!!"

On 6/5/2020 at 5:12 PM, HansonKerman said:
On 6/5/2020 at 1:37 AM, Alexoff said:

not to pay attention to the sea of bugs

<tries to forget that one time I made a rocket and it vaporized the planet>

I see what you did there...

Spoiler

Starship-Troopers_1.jpg

On 6/4/2020 at 12:51 AM, Redneck said:

You guys cant code from home?

Have you ever coded in the large?

You don't need to be present to write and register code, but coordinating code is often much harder without personal presence, especially when there are lots of other people and groups to coordinate with.

6 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Welp, I gotta move to Australia, that means I'm gonna get the game somewhere around April then,  bahahaha!

australia is gonna find a way to sue KSP2 over the release date like they did with fallout 76

8 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Welp, I gotta move to Australia, that means I'm gonna get the game somewhere around April then,  bahahaha!

What makes you be so optimistically sure that "fall" means "autumn" in their announcement?

https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/14/nasa-tracking-devastating-230-kilotonne-asteroid-hit-earth-may-2022-11124206/

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2020 at 12:56 PM, jojo5144 said:

I know that if @SQUAD had decided to develop ksp 2, it would be a monument. something completely incredible.

ummm.....right! PQS system, garbage collector and Multiplayer THATS what im talking about... go squad!!!! :thumbsup: :lol:

Edited by Redneck

Is that going to be early access release, stable with features still to be added release, or complete release?

I know the primary scope change of KSP 2 will be colonization.  I presume this takes a lot of balance.

1 hour ago, Ruedii said:

Is that going to be early access release, stable with features still to be added release, or complete release?

I know the primary scope change of KSP 2 will be colonization.  I presume this takes a lot of balance.

Complete release.

• 3 weeks later...

I feel like them removing career mode was a mistake, a serious one, as i want to be constrained by money, because if everything is free them why would you build colonies other than 1 construction dock in LKO and interstellar bases, otherwhise there is no real incentive to colonization unlike MKS or extraplanetary launchpads, where you would gain something useful from your colony such as funds or materials too expensive to launch, honestly if career is not a thing the game is less for it

1 hour ago, kspnerd122 said:

I feel like them removing career mode was a mistake, a serious one, as i want to be constrained by money, because if everything is free them why would you build colonies other than 1 construction dock in LKO and interstellar bases, otherwhise there is no real incentive to colonization unlike MKS or extraplanetary launchpads, where you would gain something useful from your colony such as funds or materials too expensive to launch, honestly if career is not a thing the game is less for it

Mods, dude. Modders will undoubtably add some form of monetary system.

2 hours ago, kspnerd122 said:

I feel like them removing career mode was a mistake, (...), honestly if career is not a thing the game is less for it

Without seeing the actual game that’s impossible to judge. Restraints are an essential element of game design, and surely the game will have something in place to make progression a challenge. The problem with career is that accumulating money easily becomes a grind, and the designers have been very clear they wanted to avoid that. That doesn’t mean building a colony on Eeloo is going to be trivial; you just have to work for it in a different way.

1 hour ago, kspnerd122 said:

I feel like them removing career mode was a mistake, a serious one

If you were a soldier a couple hundred years ago and heard that your army was going to stop using muskets, you'd probably think it was a serious mistake as well. I mean, what do you expect us to do run at 'em with swords?

Expecting KSP2 to just flat out remove career mode with no (better) alternative in mind is just as short sighted.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2020 at 1:47 AM, kspnerd122 said:

It's pretty clear that the primary game mode will be a lot like career, except richer. It will have tech progression and resource constraints. The difference is that instead of just one resource (Funds) there will be many (several different types of primary materials that you need to extract). 

When you think about it a bit, it's pretty clear that Funds-based constraints will break down as soon as you enter the colonial phase of the game. It just doesn't make sense that building rockets in your colonial VAB on Rusk would cost Funds, whereas it makes a lot of sense that they would cost metals, plastics, ceramics, or whatever other resources they've decided to implement.

I have my concerns about KSP2 (don't we all?) but I'm not worried about losing Career and Science modes as we know them. I almost exclusively play Career, yet I fully recognise that it's half-baked, a bare minimum to make things work, really. 

30 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

When you think about it a bit, it's pretty clear that Funds-based constraints will break down as soon as you enter the colonial phase of the game.

A quote from another tab I had open:

On 8/7/2020 at 10:26 PM, noname_hero said:

But I've (again) gotten to a point where money is not an issue. I have in effect an unlimited amount of money, all I have to do to gain more is fulfill contracts that offer no challenge and no fun. I'm (again) at a point where I have no new tech to discover. All that remains is having fun and getting better.

They break down as soon as you've got so much money, which is no fun really.

• 1 month later...