Kerbal Space Program 2 to be released [at unspecified date in 2022]

UomoCapra

forumBanner (2).png
We want to share an update for all of our Kerbal Space Program fans: We will now be releasing Kerbal Space Program 2 in Fall 2021.

As you all know, we’ve been working hard to make the best and most authentic KSP sequel possible. This is an ambitious goal. We are making a big, expansive game loaded with new features, but doing so will take longer than we previously anticipated. With everything going on in the world today due to the COVID-19 outbreak, we’re facing many unique challenges that require more time to safely iterate, create, test, and make KSP2 as great as it can be. We understand this isn’t the news you were hoping to see, but ultimately we need to make the best decision for the development of Kerbal Space Program 2. That said, we will continue to keep you updated with more feature videos, developer blogs, and other content to share our progress from now up to launch.  

We appreciate everyone who has been on this journey with us, we really can’t wait to be flying alongside all of you, and we look forward to sharing more along the way. Safe launches to all the Kerbonauts out there and stay tuned!

Kerbal Space Program 2 Dev Team

While this is disheartening news, I am relieved to hear that the Kerbal Space Program 2 developers are taking the appropriate steps to make the game as great as possible. Thank you for the update, and stay safe!

I’m fine with this, just please give us moar dev blogs. Wait...that’s not really possible right now..nevermind. Just moar updates on the devs and ksp2 would be great.

6 minutes ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

Now if only time warp was real.

Too true.

Frankly, I think this is good news for everyone involved. The global Pandemic has caused major disruption I would be sure, especially seeing as the development studio is based in Seattle (where COVID-19 hit the US hard initially) so delaying the release will:

• Allow the development team to take their time and avoid as much deadline rush
  • Provide more time to develop the game with more polish and completeness which is what all players want

Its a win-win situation for the developers and consumers, the only people I see here that are losing out are investors as they won't be making their cash money as soon. :D 

At least with over an extra year added to the development process, the decs can really fine tune the game and add moar features. It’s a shame it won’t be released  on the initial date, but the dev’s safty and health is more important(same goes to squad, we hope y’a are staying safe!) then releasing on the initial date. It’s going to be    Quite painful to wait over another year for it to be released, but it’s going to be prettying dang great. Once again, I hope the devs(Star theory and Squad) are staying safe out there.

Considering the shaky state of the footage so far, combined with the Coronavirus, I wholeheartedly applaud this decision.

It would be so easy for them to just take what they've got and churn out a shoddy product this summer or in the fall, now it looks like it'll get the love and attention it deserves.

Thumbs up here.

I want my money back! Every penny that I paid for KSP 2! Oh, I haven't paid you anything yet. So I guess you are free to do as you like. :D

O.K. Jokes aside. (And, yes, that was supposed to be a joke!) Take the all time that you need to make a good product. I would be very unhappy if KSP 2 would get delayed and delayed like other games that we won't mention, but considering that Take-Two has yet to see a single penny from us I'm not actually worried about that.

Seeing as we're going to be stuck with the original KSP for a while, could Squad at least fix the longstanding bug that stops Linux users from loading the hi-res part textures?

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/24306

We're getting screwed badly enough with the KSP2 team not bothering to release on our OS and current game looks kinda dated as is, it'd be nice to at least have the proper textures until the next one comes out.

Edited by Liquid
*added link to bugtracker

This is exactly what I was expecting, something ending that "it may release any time between 2 months ago and 3 years in the future"

Okay.  So the END of next year?  That's when Fall is?  If I'm wrong please tell me as I have a hot summer Christmas here in NZ.

Good release date actually when it is cold in the northern hemisphere and everyone is indoors anyway to focus on this.

Stay safe all you devs - and thank you for the upcoming updates to KSP 1 from @SQUAD

Peace.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Honestly, with the original release date seeming so soon, I was slightly concerned on the state of the game at release. This reaffirms my confidence that a solid product will be released when it is ready.  Of course, that was all my own internal speculation, but we appreciate the update.

21 minutes ago, Lewie said:

I expected it to be delayed again but by a year and a half....oof. I can wait, as long as consoles are up to date. If they don’t get updated by the scheduled time...urgh

but by then they’ll switch it to the series x and ps5

Take the time to make it the best it can be

I mean, don't Duke Nukem your timeline

But do make the game you're proud to have your name on

..also please inject the next KSP2 dev video straight into my veins, the last one has almost worn off

oh thank goodness...I am planning on getting the ps5, and I do like the ps4, but once you hit a hundred parts...urgh. But that problem is going to be fixed...but hey, stunning graphics though!

1 minute ago, NoMrBond said:

Take the time to make it the best it can be

I mean, don't Duke Nukem your timeline

But do make the game you're proud to have your name on

..also please inject the next KSP2 dev video straight into my veins, the last one has almost worn off

We're all getting the shakes my dude

43 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

The one question I have for you:Will we get a public beta before launch?

Hopefully, the game is probably in beta or solid enough to actually play already, we can try to write a petition

I know it sounds like a paradox but it is good news. (I am usually negative on everything, mind you) Private Division acknowledged that Kerbal Space Program has become more than the sum of its parts and a real cultural phenomenon that goes far beyond the niche game it was originally. They take it seriously and don't want to screw it up (and devs seem to have a very ambitious plan which is not surprising given how the first game has evolved since its first release and that the lead dev is actually a big fan of it). I hope that Private Division is concious of the mistakes they must avoid for it to be a success. Following nowadays trends is not a good receipe for success.

As a famous dev studio used to say when it was actually good 'The game will be out when it's done'.

Good thing. Obviously the current situation is sad but it is better to be safe than sorry.

We wouldn't want the rocket to suffer a catastrophic failure on its launch. (Yeah I'm talking to you Ariane 5) because of a stupid software oversight.