Kerbal Space Program 2 to be released [at unspecified date in 2022]

UomoCapra

On 5/20/2020 at 6:00 PM, SpaceFace545 said:

Hopefully, the game is probably in beta or solid enough to actually play already, we can try to write a petition

Based off dev footage, it is

26 minutes ago, Bernadegas said:

Where can i see the minimum requirements to run the game?

I dont think we know that yet

We don't need a beta. We need to be patient.

Bear with me.

If we get a beta, then sure we get to play it early, but the surprise of "Wow! This game is SO COOL!" will be a lot less as it's missing 50% of the features promised as well as having tons of bugs, glitches, and game ruining exploitable problems in the code. We won't be able to do that and just have that level of excitement accumulate over time because now, every time they add a feature, it's just an update. If I told you Minecraft was getting a 1.17 Cave update, and then a 1.18 End update, would you be excited? Sure, but not nearly as much as if I told you there was going to be a Minecraft 2 with all those and several other updates they were eventually going to add into Minecraft, and it was going to be released in a few years. Sure, having it upgrade progressively is one cool thing, but playing an entirely new game with amazingly large possibilities and an excessive amount of features is absolutely fricking amazing. If you get it as beta and have it update over time you miss out on that, forever. No do overs.

You might think I'm being unfair comparing KSP2's beta (which is teh beta of a sequel) to the update of an original game (which isn't a sequel), but if there's a beta, that's how I'll feel about it. If there's just that much stuff missing, then it'll feel like KSP 1.11 or 1.12 as it upgrades and might not even be worthy of the title of KSP2 in its beta stage. Perhaps as it updates it won't ever be worthy as it'll just keep getting updated and updated, with no big huge release that KSP2 would get without it. There's no real "kick" that comes with KSP2's full release, just "woah! The beta's out! oh wow this is buggy. Hey look they updated it. Hey look they updated it. Hey look they..." forever. There won't ever really be a feeling like KSP2 is really the thing we've all been hoping for, UNLESS we release it WITHOUT a beta. This is of course my own opinion and you can think about it what you will, but I'm not wavering in my point where KSP2 will be less of 2 and more of 1 if they release a beta and update the beta as they go along.

I'd happily wait for Fall of 2021. Well, I mean, not happily, as it was promised to us for a few seasons ago according to the trailer, but I'd MUCH rather have a well cooked well seasoned game come out in a year than a Pittsburgh rare game given to me now and progressively getting more cooked and seasoned as I play it. And if you think otherwise, then alright, think what you must, but I repeat: I do not want a beta to be released, ever. If it does release then I'm going to have to spend energy and morale barricading myself from it so I can actually play it, but even spending all that may also ruin some of the fun for me. I'm hoping someone who has some say in the deal over at Star Theory reads this and understands where I'm coming from, and compares it to virtually everyone else's opinions, and acts accordingly. Maybe it'll get a beta, in which I'll feel KSP2 will be less enjoyable, whether I play the beta or not, and maybe it won't get a beta and we'll all get that "kick" when it comes out.

I've spent too much time writing this so i'll go chill out doing other things now

3 hours ago, LittleBitMore said:

We don't need a beta. We need to be patient.

Bear with me.

If we get a beta, then sure we get to play it early, but the surprise of "Wow! This game is SO COOL!" will be a lot less as it's missing 50% of the features promised as well as having tons of bugs, glitches, and game ruining exploitable problems in the code.

Yada yada, KSP 1's development was more interesting than most games because, like Minecraft, we stayed so we could watch and play the developing game, and not because corporations were trying to overhype us by drip feeding occasional dev diaries. The last thing I expect the KSP 1 fandom to do is break down in tears because the beta game is in beta.

2 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Yada yada, KSP 1's development was more interesting than most games because, like Minecraft, we stayed so we could watch and play the developing game, and not because corporations were trying to overhype us by drip feeding occasional dev diaries. The last thing I expect the KSP 1 fandom to do is break down in tears because the beta game is in beta.

So true I think the beta would honestly help sales as the game has lost a lot of hype as it’s last delay is pretty major but I don’t expect ksp2 to actually update the game and add features because it isn’t an indie game anymore

1 hour ago, SpaceFace545 said:

So true I think the beta would honestly help sales as the game has lost a lot of hype as it’s last delay is pretty major but I don’t expect ksp2 to actually update the game and add features because it isn’t an indie game anymore

4 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

I get where you guys are coming from, but I respectfully disagree. It might be a cool experience to watch a game go through the beta stages, but I feel as if it's different for things like sequels. The transition will be so smooth from KSP1 to KSP2 it won't feel like a new game, just an upgrade with a beta mode when you go back to KSP1.

And I for one like the way they're doing dev videos, but I do think they could have been a touch more frequent and informative in the past. In addition i think the hype lost with the 1.5 year long delay will all come rushing back when the game releases and a Steam Wishlist notification appears. Then I'll be hyperventilating and shoving money into my computer.

So, while I do know your perspective, and I do understand why you are in that position, I'm gonna say I disagree.

I can’t wait for KSP2. I have been looking forward to it since I got the news. Just waiting. And what if. What if what? I don’t know. But more rockets, booster, things are just going to get more Kerbal after KSP2!

27 minutes ago, Gojira said:

I have to agree with LBM here - it'll only end up causing frustration on the user end, as features that were promised aren't yet implemented. Besides, we're all hyped for it anyways.

Yes. After KSP2, rockets wil get more Kerbal!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, sh1pman said:

So, it it still 2021 or 2022?

It's actually still 2020 ;) but KSP2is still scheduled to release in Fall of 2021 unless someone posts information to the contrary.

That's not to say it'll actually RELEASE in Fall of 2021. There's just no concrete news otherwise.