help with my joystick please

hi i recently bought a joystick for the KSP v 1.2.9.1727 pre release and it doesnt work properly. i have no mods installed and whenever i try to use the joystick it doesn't work properly eg: the pitch axis is always down even when the joystick is perfectly centered, the roll axis always starts on the left and if i move the stick to the right it follows untill it reaches half way at which point it moves back to the left. the yaw axis is the only one that works and that is attached to a  knob at the top of the stick. btw i use a Thrustmaster USB Joystick (PC).

Hello @Dr.bright welcome to the KSP forums, and sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your joystick.

It's difficult to say what the problem might be without a little more information about your system. What operating system are you using (Windows, Mac, Linux?) Are the software drivers for your joystick installed and up to date? Did your joystick come with any control software to configure it?

My first thought is that it sounds like your joystick hasn't been calibrated. This is usually an option in the control panel settings in Windows and I think available in other operating systems which will tell the computer where the "center" is on your joystick and sets up the movement boundaries. Just do a Google search for "calibrating joystick" for your operating system and follow the relevant instructions. It's important to start the calibration with all of the axes in the center of their travel and then follow the steps that the calibration program tells you to do. Keep in mind that this is a configuration that is run by your operating system, or the programming that comes with your joystick, KSP doesn't do this itself.

You might find it helpful to try installing a mod called "Advanced Fly-by-wire" which changes the way KSP reads joysticks and it has its own calibration system added to it. There are different versions for Window, OSX, and Linux. If you need help installing mods, just ask, but this is the forum thread for Advanced Fly-by-wire which might get you started.

I haven't used that particular joystick, so I can't say exactly if it works with the game or not, but I hope you find this information somewhat helpful.

P.S. After a quick search it seems that others have had similar problems, and it might be possible to install a program which intercepts the joystick inputs and passes them on to KSP to use. Here is the link to the reddit thread where I found some information on the topic. It's two years old so I don't know if they are still current, and I have not tried these programs myself so use at your own risk.

Edited by HvP
added external link

@HvP hi i use the windows operating system and the joystick didn't say it needed any software just in case it does i will check. in regards to it not being calibrated i don't think that that is the problem as it works fine for games such as GeoFS and Flightgear. thanks for the help though and i will look into fly by wire and the reddit thread. again thanks for the help have a good day.

@Harry Rhodan no there isn't any particular reason that i play the 1.2.9.1727 pre release. its just the version that my mother got for me. i don't know how or were she downloaded it from but i will ask if you want. g'day

6 hours ago, Dr.bright said:

@Harry Rhodan no there isn't any particular reason that i play the 1.2.9.1727 pre release. its just the version that my mother got for me. i don't know how or were she downloaded it from but i will ask if you want. g'day

I don't know exactly what was or wasn't fixed in that version, as finding the patch notes for that build is a little sketchy.   I would recommend asking her to return to the online store she bought it from (Steam, KSP Store, GoG, etc), and downloading the latest version.   This might resolve some of the issues you are having. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.