The directions to move are messed up

So I made a missile launcher car thing but when I launch the missile, all the directions are messed up. A and D are pitch, W and S are yaw, and Q and E are roll. They are all backwards also I think. I have it set up with stages. So first I start the main SRB and then second I detach and start the side SRBs. I control from the probe in the missile and have SAS on. During the launch sequence the main SRB destroys the heat shield on the beam often, so I switch to the launcher and detach then switch back. I try to be quick so the missile detaches before the heat shield gets destroyed. When it's still attached the Navball acts normal. And then it's detached the Navball is sideways. I've tried rotating the probe and it does nothing.

Here is the craft file

Q and E are always roll in all craft.  the difference between A/D and W/S can be as simple as the direction the probe was when you assembled it in the VAB.  If they are backwards then RMB click on the probe and invert the control.  Not sure if that requires advanced tweakables to be activated in settings.

10 hours ago, MeepTicoMeep said:

During the launch sequence the main SRB destroys the heat shield on the beam often [...]

In KSP the rocket engines start generating thrust immediately after starting (in contrast to jet engines which need to spool up), and there is a mandatory delay between two staging events (in order to reduce the number of accidental multi-staging incidents). So in a setup like yours it is most convenient to just stage all rocket engines and the decoupler(s) in the same stage.

10 hours ago, MeepTicoMeep said:

So I made a missile launcher car thing but when I launch the missile, all the directions are messed up. A and D are pitch, W and S are yaw, and Q and E are roll.

Well, how the pitch, yaw, and roll directions map onto your craft depends on the orientation of the probe core(*). If you mount the probe core backwards into your missile then pitch, yaw, and roll can still map onto the same axes that the design of the missile suggests but the probe core will believe that the missile is flying backwards and the directions are all inverted. If you then also rotate the probe core 90 degrees, then the probe core not only thinks the missile is flying backwards but also that it is flying on its side. So when the probe core pitches up or down then the missile will move in the horizontal direction.

You can check the orientation that the probe core is in by looking at the navball. If the center of the navball points to the ground while your missile is going up and the retrograde marker is in the center of the navball, then the probe core is built in back to front. Similar for having a rotated probe core.

(*) Well, to be more precise: the control point which can be a command pod, cockpit, probe core, or docking port. But if you only have a probe core on your missile then that probe core it is.

O.K. While my explanations in the other post are correct they don't really address the actual issue: which is that when a section of a craft is staged away that doesn't contain a crewed command point, then the "control point" of the discarded part is not set to the probe core controlling the part but to the new root part of the detached section of the craft. (what?:/(*)) So for your vehicle you need to explicitly select control from the probe core after switching to the missile by activating "control from here" on the probe core. My suggestion is to put "control from here" of the probe core on an action group and hit the corresponding button after switching to the missile. (That's faster than messing around with the mouse.)

I would also suggest to add a vertical stabilizer to the missile. It makes it a lot more stable in flight.

[Edit:] (*) What the <well, you probably know what>? Even a IMHO fairly harmless three-letter-acronym gets censored by the forum software? :/

Edited by AHHans

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.