Thank you squad and other developers!

Small video game developers today have tuff competition. I would like to post this to commemorate all who developed Kerbal Space Program.It is truly a miracle that a single idea gave rise to one of the most beloved simulators of our time. And none of that would of been possible if it were not for a small, talented, and supportive gaming studio. Few developers are authentic enough to listen to their community and support the game every step of the way. Their efforts have now created a new gaming genre. And it will continue to become a completely new gaming experience. PC and console players alike love this game and are going nuts for what will come after Kerbal space program. When KSP 2 releases, the gaming nerds including myself are going to go ballistic. 

Thank you for making the best simulation game of the decade !

Some content has been removed for bickering over how a word is spelled.  No need to nitpick here, especially with our international group of users.

Welcome aboard, @9.8 m/s^s!  I completely agree.  KSP has changed so much for me.

2 minutes ago, Oneiros said:

If only the KSP2 devs felt the same way about the original creator, instead of shutting both him and the community out of the entire process.

Huh?  You do realize that the original creator left several years ago on his own volition?

and it is still early days yet.

Are you also aware that last year they flew 12 of us to Seattle to talk about exactly that reason?

21 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

and it is still early days yet.

Are you also aware that last year they flew 12 of us to Seattle to talk about exactly that reason?

Do they still contact you guys? Also, confused by what you mean by "early days" since they started working on this well before the 1.6 release in 2018 and originally were hoping to launch around now

2 hours ago, Oneiros said:

when the original creator only finds out about a sequel to his game at the same time as the general public, after 2 years of development in secret, it looks kinda like a betrayal to me. at the very least it's disrespectful.

Or, more likely, contractual

4 hours ago, Oneiros said:

this community is a bit bigger than 12 people.

They invited twelve of the most prolific modders to go and see what they were doing. I'm fairly sure @linuxgurugamer is maintaining a solid 40% of all KSP mods ever released by this point and IIRC Galileo and Nertea were there too, among others.

The problem with asking people what they want is that you'll get buried under half-formed ideas and poorly thought out opinions that are far more of a hindrance than a help when it comes to actually developing a piece of software. Scope creep is a killer and we've already got a year of delays as it is. I for one am quite happy to leave the dev-pestering to those who are the most qualified to do so.

4 hours ago, Oneiros said:

this community is a bit bigger than 12 people

Do you have any idea what its like to develop a large project?  The fact that they asked us to come and talk was a big thing.  If you start to add in Everybody else, it won’t  ever get done.  Heck, just look at the Hopes and Dreams for KSP2 thread to get an idea.

They asked people who were, in their opinion, the best to talk to.  Your opinion may vary. 

5 hours ago, Oneiros said:

when the original creator only finds out about a sequel to his game at the same time as the general public, after 2 years of development in secret, it looks kinda like a betrayal to me. at the very least it's disrespectful.

also, why even develop it in secret? this place would be overjoyed to have even the most minute level of involvement in the development process, even just to feel like the devs are listening to their feedback and ideas instead of shutting down all communication. the way the community has been treated so far has not been good, these superfans are just too nice to admit it.

I agree that HarvesteR should perhaps have been given a heads-up before finding out about it along with the rest of us. However, keeping things a secret early in development is just standard procedure. Game development is inherently difficult, in many ways more than other types of software. Features can change many times before there's anything remotely ready to show to the public, and gamers are rather notoriously loud and unforgiving. Announcing too early can end up derailing a project.

9 hours ago, Oneiros said:

this community is a bit bigger than 12 people.

"Designed by committee" is a bad thing for a reason.  KSP suffered a lot from this over the years.

9 hours ago, Oneiros said:

when the original creator only finds out about a sequel to his game at the same time as the general public... it looks kinda like a betrayal to me.

Betrayal of what, exactly?  It's none of his business what happens to KSP.  Boeing and Airbus don't have to contact the Wright brothers every time they build a new airliner.

[snip]

Unlike most people here, I have actually worked in the game industry. Getting player input is not as straightforward as you think. People have a tendency to think they want one thing, say they want another thing, and then be disappointed because it turned out they really wanted something else entirely. That's not to say that developers shouldn't listen to their fans at all, but it's not a straight path from A to B either.

Edited by Vanamonde
Redacted by moderator

[snip]

Ooo this thread ended up being far more feisty than I intended.

Player feedback is crucial to the success of any game that intends on having a long lifespan. Yes I do not know much about how games are made. But take a look at some of the most disliked video game trailers of last decade. The most notorious of which was call of duty infinite. Their fans clearly felt betrayed and did not want another sci-fi shooter. Players want developers that can support and listen to their fans.

Some content has been removed from this thread.

Personal attacks are never helpful to any discussion and are disallowed under the Community Guidelines.

Feel free to discuss the merits of various ideas, but keep the personal remarks out of posts.

Thank You for Your Understanding,
KSP Moderation Team

Personally, I don't feel like the amount that Squad listens to the community has waned over the years.  The process by which they collect feedback, and their manner of communication to the community has evolved over time, but our feedback hasn't exactly fallen on deaf ears.  Early on, like REALLY early on in the alpha days of KSP 1, the community was small and the dev team indeed had more direct interaction.  But as the game grew in scope and depth, so did the KSP community, which led to community managers, less talking directly to the devs as the staff itself grew, etc.  But if the last several years of updates are any indication, they ARE in fact listening to our feedback (not necessarily implementing everything we want obviously).

For those of us that have been around KSP long enough, I can't tell you how many mods are no longer in use because of features or gameplay aspects Squad has added to just the base game for free; I'm not even talking about DLC's.  On occasion, they even reversed plans when the community waved their hands in protest (a la the great "ROUND8" revolt of 2015).  And let's not confuse "development disagreement" with "ignoring the community".  A development team, even when faced with overwhelming support for the addition of a potential feature, may still disagree with what or how something will be implemented based on a variety of reasons, such as coding/engine/hardware performance limitations, development time/budget, priority over other features, bug fixes, or simply long-term direction for development of the game, etc.

As for the interaction that Star Theory has or has not had with the KSP community, that's sort of open to interpretation.  However, (again my opinion) I don't think we know enough about what, where, or how in regards to the state of KSP 2 development to make a determination on whether Star Theory is "involved enough" with the community.  The fact they apparently talk to Squad on a regular basis, and their creative producer is a diehard KSP fan, along with other members of their staff, I'm not too worried.  When it is permissible to talk to the community about KSP 2, I'm sure they will.  I think it is quite unlikely that the value of that communication would be lost on them.

I do have to share my appreciation for Squad. They have continued working on KSP long after they had to. With the upcoming update, they still showing their devotion for making KSP the best game possible.

For PD, keep working on KSP2.

10 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

Personally, I don't feel like the amount that Squad listens to the community has waned over the years.

I can attest to this myself. Remember a few months ago when 1.8 was coming out and after hearing our feedback (basically all the loud noises about how bad the new engines were), they changed it to something more desirable.

Keep working Star Theory/Private Division/Whoever's working on KSP2 right now, we're all cheering you on!