[1.8.1/1.10.1] Katniss's Cape Canaveral - RSS

Katniss218

Do you like it?  

378 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like it?

"Turning KSP into Orbiter since May 2020"

So I'm posting this since some users thought it was really cool and wanted to play with it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Download:

https://github.com/Katniss218/KatnisssCapeCanaveral/releases/tag/1.2.2 (copy-paste everything into the game-data and replace existing files)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Da big list of disclaimers, info and trivia, etc:

KatnisssCapeCanaveral KatnisssCapeCanaveral KSP-1.8.1-green img%5D RSS-18.1.2+-green 

• Requires Module Manager
  • Requires Kerbal Konstructs for the LC39A/B launchpads.
  • RSS-Textures (RSS) should be installed beforehand otherwise it will override the modified heightmap (and make visual glitches!).
  • The mod (custom heightmap) ONLY compatible with the new textures (16bpp). RSS-Textures 18.2+ required!
  • Seems that having KSCSwitcher makes the camera go underground (makes the screen black) - zoom out (scroll wheel) for a temporary "fix".
  • This mod moves the KSC (and us_cape_canaveral in KSCSwitcher) and therefore might conflict with your other KK statics (I think it only affects ungrouped objects).
  • Contains an 8k color & normal maps for the main mesh and 4k color & normal maps for LC39.
  • Textures based off of Google satellite imagery (free for non-commercial use).
  • Install Omega's Stockalike Structures (OSSNTR) to get a real VAB.
  • This mod also contains Uranus rings (separate files, so if you don't want it, just delete it).
  • Shuttle Runway comes with a collider, the rest of the cape does not.
  • It's not 100% complete, and with me being me, it probably won't ever be, therefore it's a release already :D
  • Cape mesh contains about ~19k manually placed vertices (37k + 2*24k triangles in total).
  • I can't really verify compatibility with RP-0/RP-1 - LC39 should allow practically unlimited mass, size, etc, and cost $0, because balance!
  • I don't know what I'm doing. D:

Video featuring Katniss's Cape Canaveral:

Screenshots:

(Saturn parts and LUT not included, also featuring "EngineLightRelitKatnissified")

B7iQL1X.png

mYzKidV.png

M2UKizc.png

Ba74Tcl.png

ykFI6nw.png

CQomlxX.png

pmKbkzA.png

Thanks for stopping by and enjoy!

Edited by Katniss218

An obligatory update post, since there were some bugs with the heightmap and KSCSwitcher compatibility.

It all seems to be fixed now.

Also, keep looking at the repo from time to time, there might be "silent" changes in the future (not worth a full post).

Edited by Katniss218

Update 1.1 is out.

https://github.com/Katniss218/KatnisssCapeCanaveral/releases/tag/1.1

New version is only compatible with RSS 18.2 (or I guess with others too, but you'd need to frankenstein the old modified heightmap into the gamedata).

The shuttle runway should finally be physical (only the "island", anything around is still purely visual).

The old version can still be downloaded by cloning the repository (new version has a special release page)

Rest info in the updated main post.

h6dvdqu.png

5Opqude.png

CQomlxX.png

Edited by Katniss218

I have problem with placing Saturn Launch Base and other huge launch pads. Rocket just shaking and falling apart with crazy speed. I've tried to move vehicle in VAB, but it looks like pads just stacked in texture (colliders was disabled). Does it count like a Kraken Space Program? xd

UPD. Maybe the problem is in this spawn center? I dunno.

BYRfe2L.jpg

kF2Fi2b.jpg

Edited by NewRetroMan

19 hours ago, NewRetroMan said:

I have problem with placing Saturn Launch Base and other huge launch pads. Rocket just shaking and falling apart with crazy speed. I've tried to move vehicle in VAB, but it looks like pads just stacked in texture (colliders was disabled). Does it count like a Kraken Space Program? xd

UPD. Maybe the problem is in this spawn center? I dunno.

BYRfe2L.jpg

kF2Fi2b.jpg

Sounds like colliders of the LC39 and your launch base intersecting with each other.

Does the launch base have colliders in the legs? (can be checked by hovering over the leg (only over the leg) and if it highlights the part, then it does have colliders in the leg).

10 hours ago, cardboardman said:

Any plans to put this in CKAN? The installation was kind of rough.

What do you mean rough? It's literally 1 step (well, 2 if you want to be petty):

- copy-paste the contents into the GameData and accept to overwrite the existing heightmap.

Edited by Katniss218

1 hour ago, Katniss218 said:

Does the launch base have colliders in the legs? (can be checked by hovering over the leg (only over the leg) and if it highlights the part, then it does have colliders in the leg).

No. Legs doesn't glow. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? How did you place the sites in your screenshots?

1 hour ago, NewRetroMan said:

No. Legs doesn't glow. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? How did you place the sites in your screenshots?

Try moving the rocket (and the launch base) up in the VAB until it no longer intersects the LC39.

I placed them the same way they are placed in the mod, via KK menu (Ctrl+K)

Edited by Katniss218

36 minutes ago, Katniss218 said:

Try moving the rocket (and the launch base)

Still nothing. But it looks fine if I move the rocket to the edge and building becoming hard. Moving up not help too.

kmUIuzO.jpg

nL2aOrm.jpg

I'll keep trying to fix it. But what about spawn on this height? Can it be cause? Look, one smol command pod fit here without any problem. Of course i'm not a modder and these are just my guesses.

8aMmC1X.jpg

32 minutes ago, NewRetroMan said:

Still nothing. But it looks fine if I move the rocket to the edge and building becoming hard. Moving up not help too.

kmUIuzO.jpg

nL2aOrm.jpg

I'll keep trying to fix it. But what about spawn on this height? Can it be cause? Look, one smol command pod fit here without any problem. Of course i'm not a modder and these are just my guesses.

8aMmC1X.jpg

I have another idea. Try attaching a launch clamp to the rocket, the launch base might not be a launch clamp and thus KSP tries to put it at the lowermost point on the pad regardless where it's positioned in the VAB.

And yes, I added a custom position to the VAB, the rocket should spawn above the flame trench, not inside it, don't know why it spawns this way, it's something with KK I assume.

Maybe it tries raycasting downwards to find the correct spot for spawning, but doesn't take rocket's dimensions into account. (but it's just me guessing how it might work, idk how it works in reality)

Edited by Katniss218

*flex tape style*  Well. I cant repaired it, but i placed an additional pad just on top of LC-39 and rescale this pad to 0.01 (almost imperceptibly). Then I changed the spawn point to this one. It seems like it work. 

Edited by NewRetroMan

58 minutes ago, Elon Musk the god said:

When Download the mod as stated the Cape spawns underneath the terrain. Any fix?

Pics?

Also, make sure you're using correct (compatible) RSS and KSP versions.

I keep getting the error

[Kopernicus]: Only DXT1, DXT5, A8, RGB24, RGBA32, RGB565, ARGB4444, RGBA4444, 4bpp palette and 8bpp palette are supported
[Kopernicus]: failed to load {KSP-DIR}/GameData/RSS-Textures/PluginData/EarthHeight.dds

I think it might be incompatible with VaNnadin's 16K RSS which I also have installed. I did overwrite the one included with the Textures with the one in your mod, so it might also be an incompatibility with your mod. Do you think its just a corrupted download?

15 hours ago, _Falcon said:

I keep getting the error

[Kopernicus]: Only DXT1, DXT5, A8, RGB24, RGBA32, RGB565, ARGB4444, RGBA4444, 4bpp palette and 8bpp palette are supported
[Kopernicus]: failed to load {KSP-DIR}/GameData/RSS-Textures/PluginData/EarthHeight.dds

I think it might be incompatible with VaNnadin's 16K RSS which I also have installed. I did overwrite the one included with the Textures with the one in your mod, so it might also be an incompatibility with your mod. Do you think its just a corrupted download?

(It also says it in the main post, but) you need either to download the release (compatible with RSS 18.1.2+ and RSS-Textures 18.2), in case you really want to use older RSS, there's an old 8k heightmap in the repo if you clone it, compatible with older RSS, before they started using 16bpp heightmaps.

8 hours ago, Katniss218 said:

(It also says it in the main post, but) you need either to download the release (compatible with RSS 18.1.2+ and RSS-Textures 18.2), in case you really want to use older RSS, there's an old 8k heightmap in the repo if you clone it, compatible with older RSS, before they started using 16bpp heightmaps.

So the 16k isn't the new heightmaps?

Edit: I fixed it, the ckan version for RSS is 1.8.0 and the new one appears to the on the RSS github. I'm going to see if it works

Edit 2: Appears to still crash, but its due to another error with kopernicus. I think installing the official 16k RSS-Textures should fix it.

Edit 3: Appears it works. Is the original KSC still supposed to be visible?

Edit 4: Appears I can't use Kerbal Konstructs to change my launchpad. Thanks for the help anyway

Edited by _Falcon

1 hour ago, _Falcon said:

So the 16k isn't the new heightmaps?

Edit: I fixed it, the ckan version for RSS is 1.8.0 and the new one appears to the on the RSS github. I'm going to see if it works

Edit 2: Appears to still crash, but its due to another error with kopernicus. I think installing the official 16k RSS-Textures should fix it.

Edit 3: Appears it works. Is the original KSC still supposed to be visible?

Edit 4: Appears I can't use Kerbal Konstructs to change my launchpad. Thanks for the help anyway

3. Yes, it is supposed to be there. Without it your camera position would be probably even more messed up than what it is currently.

4. Try the new kLC-39-instances.cfg from the repo (merged it like 15 mins ago).

14 minutes ago, Katniss218 said:

3. Yes, it is supposed to be there. Without it your camera position would be probably even more messed up than what it is currently.

4. Try the new kLC-39-instances.cfg from the repo (merged it like 15 mins ago).

I installed the master version from github and it works perfectly. Thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.