[1.8.1/1.10.1] Katniss's Cape Canaveral - RSS

Katniss218

Do you like it?  

378 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like it?

On 3/10/2021 at 10:55 PM, Rocketry101 said:

Only problem, Terrain is not solid and is a ocean?

Gzt1fWk.png

as you can see its underground, seems the same thing happen to camera at space center view even thought I dont have ksc switcher. I have the edited height map as well and installed it correct so is this bug or is it part of the mod (not making game unplayable but its annoying for landing starships and falcon boosters.)

I currently don't have a way to make a collider that conforms to the shape of the terrain, unfortunately.

The only tool I found for convex decomposition was pretty sheit.

2 hours ago, certifiedkerbal said:

hey! My KSP 1.8.1 save will always get the message: Kopernicus failed to load this system, This doesn't happen when this mod is not installed, though. Should I be posting this on Kopernicus's forum, or yours? Thanks. I can provide my ksp.log after a failed load.

My best guess would be that you have an older version of RSS that tries to load the heightmap in a different manner (real issue with RSS). In retrospect, I shouldnt've modified the heightmap and just used the PQS decal. That will be dealt with in the future. Probably when I finish Baikonur.

1 hour ago, Katniss218 said:

My best guess would be that you have an older version of RSS that tries to load the heightmap in a different manner (real issue with RSS). In retrospect, I shouldnt've modified the heightmap and just used the PQS decal. That will be dealt with in the future. Probably when I finish Baikonur.

:cool: thanks for letting me know

On 5/24/2020 at 3:43 AM, Katniss218 said:

"Turning KSP into Orbiter since May 2020"

So I'm posting this since some users thought it was really cool and wanted to play with it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Download:

https://github.com/Katniss218/KatnisssCapeCanaveral/releases/tag/1.2.2 (copy-paste everything into the game-data and replace existing files)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Da big list of disclaimers, info and trivia, etc:

KatnisssCapeCanaveral KatnisssCapeCanaveral KSP-1.8.1-green RSS-18.1.2+-green 

• Requires Module Manager
  • Requires Kerbal Konstructs for the LC39A/B launchpads.
  • RSS-Textures (RSS) should be installed beforehand otherwise it will override the modified heightmap (and make visual glitches!).
  • The mod (custom heightmap) ONLY compatible with the new textures (16bpp). RSS-Textures 18.2+ required!
  • Seems that having KSCSwitcher makes the camera go underground (makes the screen black) - zoom out (scroll wheel) for a temporary "fix".
  • This mod moves the KSC (and us_cape_canaveral in KSCSwitcher) and therefore might conflict with your other KK statics (I think it only affects ungrouped objects).
  • Contains an 8k color & normal maps for the main mesh and 4k color & normal maps for LC39.
  • Textures based off of Google satellite imagery (free for non-commercial use).
  • Install Omega's Stockalike Structures (OSSNTR) to get a real VAB.
  • This mod also contains Uranus rings (separate files, so if you don't want it, just delete it).
  • Shuttle Runway comes with a collider, the rest of the cape does not.
  • It's not 100% complete, and with me being me, it probably won't ever be, therefore it's a release already :D
  • Cape mesh contains about ~19k manually placed vertices (37k + 2*24k triangles in total).
  • I can't really verify compatibility with RP-0/RP-1 - LC39 should allow practically unlimited mass, size, etc, and cost $0, because balance!
  • I don't know what I'm doing. D:

Video featuring Katniss's Cape Canaveral:

Screenshots:

(Saturn parts and LUT not included, also featuring "EngineLightRelitKatnissified")

B7iQL1X.png

Hide contents

mYzKidV.png

M2UKizc.png

Ba74Tcl.png

ykFI6nw.png

CQomlxX.png

pmKbkzA.png

Thanks for stopping by and enjoy!

The mod will have the other launch pads (LC 40, 41, Historic pads, etc)?

On 3/20/2021 at 2:41 AM, Lokesh_Mars_Gen said:

hi I'm curious if tundra space center and astronomers visual pack are compatible with this mod?

This mod only works with RSS.

On 3/21/2021 at 4:19 PM, JEBEDIAH KERBAL PLAYER said:

The mod will have the other launch pads (LC 40, 41, Historic pads, etc)?

Tbh, I'd love to, but I'm already past these with my timeline and I'd rather work on making videos than launchpads I'd never use.

I struggle with finding time to work on things already.

On 4/1/2021 at 3:50 AM, Salsa said:

@Katniss218Hey Katniss, quick question. If I use kscswitcher to switch my launch site to another one in the US, will it just use the default ksc? Or will it paste the cape to lets say, wallops island?

Nope, the cape only exists at Cape Canaveral, any other launchsite is unaffected.

• 1 month later...

hey @Katniss218, I'm try to get KSCSwitcher working correctly and with the default launchsitespatch in your configs, the screen is black and no amount of back scrolling brings it back in view. Now, i've looked at the configs and you have  "@Site[us_cape_canaveral]". In KSCSwitcher, Site name = ksc. Once i set the @Site to "@Site[ksc]" in your configs, there's no longer a black screen, however for some reason the position of KSC is placed somewhere around the position of your LC-39 pad and raised slightly above the rest of the terrain. I have been using your cape mod for some time now with no issues, up until KSCSwitcher is installed and the positioning for some reason is altered.

would it be possible for you to see if you can replicate this and see if you know what is conflicting with the KSC positioning? Thank you

21 hours ago, si2504 said:

hey @Katniss218, I'm try to get KSCSwitcher working correctly and with the default launchsitespatch in your configs, the screen is black and no amount of back scrolling brings it back in view. Now, i've looked at the configs and you have  "@Site[us_cape_canaveral]". In KSCSwitcher, Site name = ksc. Once i set the @Site to "@Site[ksc]" in your configs, there's no longer a black screen, however for some reason the position of KSC is placed somewhere around the position of your LC-39 pad and raised slightly above the rest of the terrain. I have been using your cape mod for some time now with no issues, up until KSCSwitcher is installed and the positioning for some reason is altered.

would it be possible for you to see if you can replicate this and see if you know what is conflicting with the KSC positioning? Thank you

By default, RSS's "KSC" is placed very close to the LC-39A.

Because of that, I had to move the KSC out of the way in the config. You changing this config told KSCSwitcher to stop modifying the position for us_cape_canaveral, and it reverted to the usual "at LC-39" position.

As to why you can't scroll out far enough, I unfortunately have no idea, whenever I, or any other person I talked to used KSCSwitcher, we were always able to scroll out and see.

Edited by Katniss218

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/25/2020 at 8:59 PM, pingopete said:

OK..  so holy Moley.. This is honestly something else, I rigged this up inmy RVE64k - ksp 1.9.1 test build and got it all working. With a sprinkle of ocean tweaking and TUFX postProcessing this is honestly hard to believe it's from KSP.. LET ALONE KSP RSS.. I flew around the area a few times in a simple test plane and omfg, I can't get enough, this screens do not do the ingame visuals justice. 

Obligatory screen spam inbound:

nX706s2.png

OEm015P.png

1qhnzVN.png

uRQh6zn.png

1i3Byx0.png

qbI8wR4.png

full Album: https://imgur.com/a/JMuaGt5 

OK.. now to catch my breath

Sorry if I'm a-little bit late but can you share your tufx config? it looks amazing!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2022 at 9:04 PM, Sparklingtube said:

Hi! After i installed this mod ingame i see the whole new part of the map but i cant select the launch site from kk, it doesnt appear.

Have you "opened" it in the KK menu? KK launch sites need to be opened before you can launch from them

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.