Kerbal Space Program 3D animations [New release October 31st]

AnimatedK

• 4 weeks later...

So.... Here it is!

It is with great pleasure that I'm able to share this animation with the KSP community today.
After several setbacks, this pair of kerbals made it through millions of miles of space, animation, modelling, rendering and editing to finally get to Duna where, in order to kill some time until the rescue mission arrives, decided to have some fun playing Golf.
Duna's atmosphere is very thin... but not as thin as this kerbals thought it was. Hopefully, their green expertise in Golf can help them survive a dangerous planet in wich many more missions are set to happen as part of the KERBAL SPACE PROGRAM.

AnimatedK is a fan-art project and it is, in no way, funded or endorsed by SQUAD nor Provate Division. Huge shout out for the KSP developers, who continue encouraging the creation of this kind of fan-art around the globe. Thank you very much.

Edited by AnimatedK

On 1/25/2021 at 8:50 PM, AnimatedK said:

Hey Dash!

• I took a kerbal model that's available here, in the KSP forum. I used it mostly as reference, because I almost completely remeshed, retextured and re-rigged it from scratch. I've also imported some models from the game into Blender, but the workflow was kinda the same as the kerbal model... I pretty much made the parts from scratch.
  • I believe I've been playing KSP since 2018, but last time I played was june 2020. 
  • As of reference & inspiration... well, it depends on what we are focusing on. For kerbals animation, I'm taking lots of references from minions; for space stuff & aesthetics I use takes from the show "For all mankind". This is just scratching the surface in the matter of reference, but I hope you get some idea.
  • I'm trying to finish, or get this animation nearly done, in order to open a Patreon page. I'm betting on community support for the making of future chapters, though if I can't achieve the goal, well... it was nice working with the kerbals.
  • Tips for Blender newcomers:
    1.  Beware of the steep learning curve. It's going to be difficult at the beggining. Things will become easier much later.
    2. Don't, and I mean it... DO NOT try to get ahead of yourself. Start with something low-poly, learn the modelling shortcuts, get the grasp of shading nodes, then move on to more complex models. From then on, you have to choose what you are going to use Blender for: sculpting, vfx edditing, hard surface modelling, animation, etc.
    3. Blender Guru's YouTube channel is what I used to learn Blender back in 2012. I suggest you pay a visit as well. Dude's got a whole new tutorial series from the last version of Blender.

Hope to see you around!

Juan Ignacio.

New brakedown!

Hey AnimatedK,

About three months ago I asked you more info on getting started in blender.

I thought it would be great to share the process I've made till this point onwards.

https://imgur.com/gallery/kAmAA9l

Thanks for the tips, as you suggested I started off with really small and simple projects, only really doing them to get the grips of the program.

Its been a blast to use and expanded my creative horizon enormously.

Many thanks and best wishes with your project,

- Dash

On 4/25/2021 at 11:24 AM, Dash8466 said:

Hey AnimatedK,

About three months ago I asked you more info on getting started in blender.

I thought it would be great to share the process I've made till this point onwards.

https://imgur.com/gallery/kAmAA9l

Thanks for the tips, as you suggested I started off with really small and simple projects, only really doing them to get the grips of the program.

Its been a blast to use and expanded my creative horizon enormously.

Many thanks and best wishes with your project,

- Dash

I'm very glad to hear from you and indeed you have achieved a nice progression with Blender. I'm also happy to be as any help for new Blender newcomers and I'm eager to keep hearing from you. Keep up the good work.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey AnimatedK. Your work looks so good! As ive commented in one of your vids, it looks super professional, and super kerbal at the same time!

Im wondering how did you do the plumes of both the engines and the RCS. I tried to copy them but ofc my silly cone with a z gradient alpha and a noise node with a driver wont look as good haha.

On 5/19/2021 at 12:29 PM, Dr. Kerbal said:

Your recent animation was great @AnimatedK!  But what will your next one come out? 

Next one is on production right now. Stay tuned.

On 5/19/2021 at 12:05 PM, OvalDreamX said:

Hey AnimatedK. Your work looks so good! As ive commented in one of your vids, it looks super professional, and super kerbal at the same time!

Im wondering how did you do the plumes of both the engines and the RCS. I tried to copy them but ofc my silly cone with a z gradient alpha and a noise node with a driver wont look as good haha.

JFD1Xo8.png

https://imgur.com/JFD1Xo8It's actually a cylinder mesh with one of the sides scaled down. Sorry if I said _cone_ in the YouTube comment.

All you need to know is in this image. You have to UV unwrap the cylinder in order to make it look like the gas is comming from the nozzle. That node arrange will give you a black & white image that you'll use as factor for a mix node, mixing between an emission and a transparent shader.

You can use a diffuse shader instead of emission, but I like how the plumes illuminate the fuselage

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2021 at 11:32 PM, PVA Glue said:

Is there any way I could help? I have some experience with 3D animations and modding KSP in Blender. 

Hey Glue!

If I could ask for something, it would be a music composer. I'm struggling really hard to deli ver a film with decent music, also I'm broke as love so I'm trying to earn some money in order to hire one.

I really appreciate your enthusiasm and, if I need anything related to modelling and animating, I'll consider giving you a call. If you like, send me a video or portfolio of your wokr so I can see what should I ask you for, given the case I need something.

Right now, all you can do is enjoy the videos and share them with your friends. I'm, relatively speaking, starting with this project and what I need the most is all the shares I can get.

Thank you very much.

58 minutes ago, AnimatedK said:

If I could ask for something, it would be a music composer. I'm struggling really hard to deli ver a film with decent music, also I'm broke as love so I'm trying to earn some money in order to hire one.

I know if you look around and peak around YouTube's copyright free music section you find find some pretty good ones. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/4/2020 at 4:18 PM, AnimatedK said:

A longer animation is on the way.

I am glad to see an animation that has a longer time on the way!

I also have a suggestion for an animation.

The kerbals from "staging" go on a mission to Moho, the animation starts out with them burning for moho in L.K.O. dramatic music plays or something and then it cuts to them landind on moho. You can honestly do whatever here, All I suggest is a kerbal looking at the sun being proud, then freaking out cause his Eyes got burned.

Honestly this is COMPLETELY up to you but.... Is it possible I could help with the storyboarding? I wouldn't say make the whole thing but I could just throw in a few ideas to help. Like I said, Up to.
(I really don't need any money or stuff like that, Just want to help and be a part of this stuff!)
(Discord : MultiCatRain#1969)

Edited by MultiCatRain

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.