How to unlink my STEAM and Xbox? (My 12 y.o. did something)

JoeSchmuckatelli

Edit: problem...

... Understood 

- even if it can't be resolved.  (MicroSquish issue, not STEAM after all) - see my post below if interested 

I have no idea what my kid did, but somehow my KSP gaming through STEAM is showing up on the Xbox. 

I found this out when I overhead him chatting with his friends and they kept asking him what KSP is and why I have so many hours played. 

So clearly he's somehow changed something on his Xbox (the Xbox account is also in my name) or my STEAM account so he can keep up with his friends. I'm not one of those people who enjoys sharing my entire life online, much less any of my activities with a bunch of 12 year olds, so I want to shut this down. 

I thought I had it figured out by changing some settings in STEAM but apparently not.  So if anyone knows how to unlink my STEAM from my Xbox I'd appreciate it 

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

Sounds like a friend notification. You are simply on his friends list so he is getting a popup letting him know you are online and playing.
I think you can turn that off in the settings, you dont have to inform your friends when you are online.

Edited by Toucan

2 hours ago, Toucan said:

Sounds like a friend notification. You are simply on his friends list so he is getting a popup letting him know you are online and playing.
I think you can turn that off in the settings, you dont have to inform your friends when you are online.

Actually - I wouldn't mind if it was just him; it is his friends getting notified that bugs me.

Do you think it's a STEAM setting or an XBOX one?

6 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Do you think it's a STEAM setting or an XBOX one?

Well, its the Steam info you would like to make private so I would look in Steam. You can set yourself to invisible under the Friends menu.
Nobody will see when you are online or when you are playing.

This might sound a little Rube Goldberg-ish way of going about this, but did you try asking him?

Jokes aside, I'm guessing he is unavailable right now, or he doesn't know how he did it, just that its like that now. I'd say just get him his own account. He's getting to the age where his friends will make fun of him for playing "Daddy's" account/getting to the age where it will be absolutely hilarious to mess with your saves. I have a mental image of the mods for the original GTA that made certain vehicles instantly launch across the map and explode as soon as you touched any controls, or changing all your Kerbal's names to "ButtFart Kerman"

• 1 month later...

Unlinking an Xbox Live account

This action can be completed when at either the 'Start Game' screen or Main Menu. Simply clicking 'Sign Out' from these screens (or pressing the X key in the main menu) will prompt you whether you wish to sign out of Xbox Live. Clicking Yes will complete the unlinking process and return you to the 'Start Game' screen where you can sign in to another account.

• 2 weeks later...

So... In case anyone is interested or has a similar problem... 

Mine can't be resolved.  At least not the way I want it to be. 

The problem is that MS links Xbox live with windows live and anything that you do while signed in to a given profile is subject to the privacy controls that you set, globally, for your profile.  So despite the fact that I've had a Hotmail account for 25 years and enjoyed anonymity in my pc gaming and thought of Xbox as a separate universe... Win 10 changed that. 

Once I 'upgraded to' and linked my email to Win 10, my previous linking of the Xbox to the same email resulted in entangling what I thought was separate into a permanent 'profile'.  MS will NOT untangle this. 

So when I went to 'my' Xbox profile (I've never played Xbox - but I have my email there to assist and assert control over my kid's gaming) and let him let his friends see that he's online and what games he's playing... That choice had the unintended result of letting them see what I'm doing on Win 10.

The only option is to create a new profile for him... But doing that erases any progress (read purchased skins, saves etc) that he's achieved while on my account. 

I honestly hate living in a universe where profile data is a commodity. 

I miss virtual anonymity 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.