• 100 - 500
    • 501 - 1000
    • 1001 - 1500
    • 1501 - 2000
    • 2001 - 2500
    • 2501 - 5000
    • 5001 - 7500
    • >10k

Running the game directly from the folder or through CKAN doesn’t record times, so my numbers are vastly lower in Steam than in reality. Which is a good thing, as I don’t want to be reminded exactly how much time I’ve spent in the game :blush:

Steam reports 562 hours.  But for years, I've not launched KSP via Steam.  I've just downloaded the new versions on Steam, copied them elsewhere, then copied them again to be modded, then wiped the Steam install so the next download will be pristine.  Like @jimmymcgoochie and @Superfluous J, I either launch KSP directly or through CKAN.

What are my actual hours?  Probably over 1000, likely under 3000.  Beyond those vague boundaries, I have no idea.

Edited by Jacke

I would say <100, but probably more. I don't play on steam. Anyway, it largely depends on what you are doing. For example, if you've just been messing around and haven't really done anything, then yeah, those would be noob numbers. But I highly doubt that.

I have 800-ish hours on my steam install. The other 3, which I play a lot more, don't record time, but I'm sure its at least 800 more for each of them.

Half of that must be waiting for it to load. 200 mods takes 10 minutes even on a very fast ssd, as well as 2 minute VAB load times.

Edited by Clamp-o-Tron

23 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

'nuff said.

ksp-11h.jpg

Hide contents

Okay maybe more needs said. I have no idea how many hours I have in KSP as I almost never run it from Steam. So I guessed 2.5-5k. Could easily be more, could theoretically be less but I doubt it.

I was about to post the same thing. My Steam account says 1564 hours, but I stopped launching from Steam in April 2015, so 1564 would be for my first 10 months of almost 6 years playing KSP, so definitely over 2500 by now, probably between 3 and 4k.

1 hour ago, JcoolTheShipbuilder said:

How do i easily run ksp from non steam btw? do i make a shortcut to run it?

• Make a destination folder outside of tight Windows control.  I suggest for the latest KSP version
    C:/Prog/KSP/v1.9.1/
    if you don't have any of the expansion DLC, and if you do, then
    C:/Prog/KSP/v1.9.1E/
  • To that folder, copy the contents of the folder containing KSP under Steam, located at
    <Steam dir>/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program/
  • In the new folder, copy the executable
    KSP_x64.exe
    and in a convenient location, paste a shortcut.  Use it to launch KSP
  • Alternate to the last, install CKAN and tell it about that copy of KSP.  CKAN won't touch any mods you've installed manually, but is an easier way to manage mods.

This can be made more detailed.  I normally leave KSP uninstalled and its Steam directory empty.  When a new version comes out, I install it first without expansion DLCs, then with.  Each of them I copy as a prinstine template to a new directory, then copy again to a location to mod with CKAN and manually if needed.  This way I can have multiple installs; example for KSP 1.7.3, I had a copy for testing, a copy for unspecific play, and a third for the Caveman challenge.

Edited by Jacke

Honestly, there's been a few weekends where I sank almost 30 hours into the game in 2 days (I'm not ashamed) but I take a few months off sometimes to play something else. I always come back though, until a mod breaks my game and I don't feel like fixing it. I'd say around 1500 hours to be honest, I'm doing an interstellar play through right now and there's things on the Tech Tree that are over 10,000 science so this should be fun....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.