KSP Loading... Preview: Ariane 5 coming to KSP 1.10 Shared Horizons...

UomoCapra

So, from what I'm getting at from this clip is that not only will we be getting a (IMO) long deserved reskin of those long SRBs, and yet another reskin for the 2.5 m tanks, but we can add decals onto them at our leisure as well? Or at least I have to assume at our leisure, given the lack of any more info at this time, but it's an exciting prospect in my eyes!

5 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

It looks like decals on stock parts to me.

Don't see why we'd need new lifter stage parts anyway. The important stuff is in the payload.

Yeah, those SRBs look a lot like revamped Kickbacks with decals on them.

14 minutes ago, ndiver said:

Disappointed, that looks like stock parts with decals and not a real new set of parts :/
I hope to get wrong, but the hype train has left and I was not on-board.

Why is that a problem? If stock already has parts that can make a passable Ariane V lookalike, why bother adding new parts? Just making new variants for those parts to make them look more realistic will do. For example, look at the fuel tank on the first stage - it looks rather realistic, but it's also just about the right size to be a alternate Jumbo-64 skin. And the Mainsail was already remodelled in the last update to look like the Vulcain engine - why not use that?

Sure, it may look a little bit disproportionate because the parts weren't originally designed to be Ariane V parts (apart from the engine), but you can still look at it and confidently say that it's meant to be an Ariane V. Doing it this way fits in more with the modular, LEGO-like style of KSP, rather than just making replica parts that are only meant to be put together in one way :wink:

Please if that possible... we still have the time to fix those proportion, this shape... that not an Ariane 5 :(

i'm sorry to said that, but what the point of adding new parts/variant if that not to match the concept you try to reproduce ?

Even Kerbal X with actual stock parts make it better! 

https://kerbalx.com/Exhonor/Ariane-5-OLD

EOGDmbV.jpg

Decals and new fairing are definitevely interesting, but the launcher... for US player maybe this look fine, but for an european those new parts/variant don't look like an Ariane 5. i could understand you have choose 2.5 m scale, but nothing match Ariane 5. The Engine is actually for Ariane 6, booster of Shuttle/STS/SLS, and most important everything is way way too long! the lenght don't match anything.

Proportions are one of the most important things to reproduce Ariane 5. Booster in particular! And with this hight, good luck if someone want to reproduce the Hermes Shuttle. Flip garanted.

I generally don't complain, and i'm sorry for my bad english. But i'm european and i feel really disapointed by this.

i hope the team could understand. I know KSP is just a game, and i'm fine with that. i don't even need an Ariane 5 because i've made one for my mod, but at this point is just a respect feeling for this rocket and european people.

Don't delay the release, pls. :D

Just be happy that you mod doesn't become irrelevent. You Knes mod still looks 1000% better and will still be a must have.

And Kerbal scale is messed up since day 1 so a perfect replica won't have the same purpose in Kerbal scale as your Ariane 5 is way too powerful for stock scale, therefore it is not surprising that they chose 2.5 m parts for s Kerbal stock scale Ariane 5.

Edited by Quoniam Kerman

19 minutes ago, Quoniam Kerman said:

And Kerbal scale is messed up since day 1 so a perfect replica won't have the same purpose in Kerbal scale as your Ariane 5 is way too powerful for stock scale, therefore it is not surprising that they chose 2.5 m parts for s Kerbal stock scale Ariane 5.

I don't ask for perfect replica, i'm a really "Kerbal" player, i'm fine with a 2.5 launcher, i just ask some "love" for this game.

i mean....   It's just look like the promo picture have take more time than those "parts" i think Kerbals (this game) just need more love. :(

EYTP_k7XkAE0dLO?format=jpg&name=small

Yeah, that doesn't look like Ariane 5. That looks like a rather simplistic rocket made with reskinned stock parts. An all-white variant for stock tanks would be nice, but if that's all it's gonna be, I'd be disappointed, and probably the ESA guys too.

It really shouldn't be 2.5m, either. 3.75m is a very good fit for a Kerbal-scale replica. We need a high-detail Ariane 5 with sharp textures and a separate engine mount for both stages. 

2 minutes ago, DunaManiac said:

Do we need *another* set of real life parts? Besides the fact that the parts don't even look very much like and Ariane V. 

I'm pretty sure the Ariane V shown above is mostly stock parts with new variants.

I think the parts look fairly realistic, but the proportions are a bit weird.

Yeah normally not negative on these, but I have made many better Ariane V rockets with stock parts before. Decals are neat I guess. It's one of my favourite rocket designs visually IRL, so it's a shame the proportions are so off with this.

4 hours ago, Well said:

Please if that possible... we still have the time to fix those proportion, this shape... that not an Ariane 5 :(

i'm sorry to said that, but what the point of adding new parts/variant if that not to match the concept you try to reproduce ?

Even Kerbal X with actual stock parts make it better! 

https://kerbalx.com/Exhonor/Ariane-5-OLD

EOGDmbV.jpg

Decals and new fairing are definitevely interesting, but the launcher... for US player maybe this look fine, but for an european those new parts/variant don't look like an Ariane 5. i could understand you have choose 2.5 m scale, but nothing match Ariane 5. The Engine is actually for Ariane 6, booster of Shuttle/STS/SLS, and most important everything is way way too long! the lenght don't match anything.

Proportions are one of the most important things to reproduce Ariane 5. Booster in particular! And with this hight, good luck if someone want to reproduce the Hermes Shuttle. Flip garanted.

I generally don't complain, and i'm sorry for my bad english. But i'm european and i feel really disapointed by this.

i hope the team could understand. I know KSP is just a game, and i'm fine with that. i don't even need an Ariane 5 because i've made one for my mod, but at this point is just a respect feeling for this rocket and european people.

Hi, I'm the person who made this particular craft on KerbalX. Thanks for sharing it.
I have an updated version that's 3.75m and is a lot more accurate, would you like for me to upload it?

Edited by T1mo98

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.