KSP Loading... Preview: Ariane 5 coming to KSP 1.10 Shared Horizons...

UomoCapra

25 minutes ago, HansonKerman said:

I thought of that too. I can’t multiply but I thought about 1.875 boosters. Like... wouldn’t that be fine...?

Actually, since this update is for everyone, we didn't want to use 1.875m parts from Making History, and we didn't want to add a one-off diameter parts to stock or move parts out of Making History into the stock game.

Also - those would look too wide in comparison to the core.  Scaling down 5.4m to 2.5m is a 1 to 0.463.   Scaling down the 3.06m boosters by the same amount yields a diameter of 1.41m.  Using the 1.25m kickbacks is closer than using 1.875m solids.

1 hour ago, Maxsimal said:

Also - those would look too wide in comparison to the core.  Scaling down 5.4m to 2.5m is a 1 to 0.463.   Scaling down the 3.06m boosters by the same amount yields a diameter of 1.41m.  Using the 1.25m kickbacks is closer than using 1.875m solids.

But scaling down the 5.4m core diameter by 0.625x is 3.4m (close enough to the 3.75m Size 3 diameter profile) and the 3m EAP P### SRBs by 0.625x is 1.875m (exactly the 1.875m Size 1p5 profile).

It feels like there are long standing conventions that have been knowingly put aside for this (the same thing with the MH Saturn core parts) which seems weird; the community (ex devs and mod makers) zig one way so why is this now zagging? 

You say, "we didn't want to add a one-off diameter parts to stock or move parts out of Making History into the stock game" which is fair enough and I understand that but when it looks like a new upper stage vacuum oriented engine is being added to the game (seeing as we don't currently have a 2.5m diameter engine that fits the length of the one shown in the screenshot) it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to expect  a model of 1 more 1.875m SRB to replicate the EAP booster to go along with this update. SRBs are a lot simpler, geometry wise, compared to a decent engine model.

I'm sure as a lead designer you have to balance: Effort put in * Effectiveness of result = Constant end product ... so if as a collective within the dev team that its felt that this end result is effective enough for the community then thats your call. As part of the development team thats your prerogative, not ours as consumers. 

TL;DR I'm just another person tossing my hat into the ring saying the sizing feels odd.

Edited by Poodmund
Typo

1 hour ago, Maxsimal said:

Actually, since this update is for everyone, we didn't want to use 1.875m parts from Making History, and we didn't want to add a one-off diameter parts to stock or move parts out of Making History into the stock game.

Do you have any thoughts to my post a few back, re: the .625m scaling in general? (I.e. not specifically in terms of Ariane) - any reason that would be avoided when developing parts?

2 hours ago, Maxsimal said:

fair enough. :)

13 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

@Maxsimal Is the Kickback actually getting a full revamp in this update, or is it just getting a new variant? The new variant minus the decals looks like it would be a great makeover for the booster, and it would be really odd if the better-looking version with the decals was just a variant added to the (rubbish-looking) existing part.

Yes, the kickback has been updated, and looks really good, in keeping with the other SRB updates. 

10 hours ago, Beale said:

Do you have any thoughts to my post a few back, re: the .625m scaling in general? (I.e. not specifically in terms of Ariane) - any reason that would be avoided when developing parts?

I second this

It would be nice for modders to actually understand the standards that squad is going with

Edited by DylanSemrau

On 6/10/2020 at 1:21 PM, Maxsimal said:

Spoiler

vwHWiwv.png

Is that a re-revamped decoupler atop the long 1st stage tank?  Perhaps a switchable variant?  It looks like its got a texture or variant that matches the revamped fairing base on top.

11 hours ago, DylanSemrau said:

I second this

It would be nice for modders to actually understand the standards that squad is going with

There's a competing standard here then, I suppose.  Not sure there's more to comment on that than I have already - we made the Ariane 5 the most reasonable possible given the competing concerns - but we're not asking modders to follow our lead on this.  Mods I play use the actual real world part sizes for historical recreations, for instance and if you want to keep using .625:1, go for it, and I think you'll be able to rescale the parts pretty easily.

2 hours ago, klesh said:

Is that a re-revamped decoupler atop the long 1st stage tank?  Perhaps a switchable variant?  It looks like its got a texture or variant that matches the revamped fairing base on top.

Yeah all the decouplers have a new variant that's white and yellow to match those fairings, well spotted.

2 hours ago, Maxsimal said:

Yeah all the decouplers have a new variant that's white and yellow to match those fairings, well spotted.

Very cool, thank you folks for including it in the update!  One of the best things that happened to KSP was the inclusion of the variant system; it's great to see it making it's way into parts that never had options.  Well done!  

On 5/30/2020 at 5:18 PM, T1mo98 said:

Hi, I'm the person who made this particular craft on KerbalX. Thanks for sharing it.
I have an updated version that's 3.75m and is a lot more accurate, would you like for me to upload it?

Dude, this https://kerbalx.com/Exhonor/Ariane-5-OLD is an absolute banger, nice one. 

If I'm understanding the content of the update correctly, I'm just going to apply the new 2.5 skins and stick some decals on the boosters and fairing and I'll be looking at an Ariane 5.....

I've just tested it with a skipper (Just so I can use it earlier in a carer) and with the new skin it looks accurate enough not to ruin the look and it still floats 10t to orbit nicely.....  

Really looking forward to the update in general,  new science, new ESA suits, new skin on Jool I think....  lots to look forward to if you ask me.  Perfect excuse to launch an ESA career mode 

Edited by SiWalder

17 hours ago, SiWalder said:

Dude, this https://kerbalx.com/Exhonor/Ariane-5-OLD is an absolute banger, nice one. 

Thanks! 

Here's the link to my new 3.75m version, it's a lot more detailed and accurate although probably out of scale with my other replicas https://kerbalx.com/Exhonor/Arianespace-Ariane-5-XL

I'm still hoping that we'll get either a new upper stage engine or a texture variant of the Cheetah without the orange/brown ablative nozzle design. That's one thing I've really been missing in terms of engines.

2 hours ago, T1mo98 said:

I'm still hoping that we'll get either a new upper stage engine or a texture variant of the Cheetah without the orange/brown ablative nozzle design. That's one thing I've really been missing in terms of engines.

Good shout.  I've got my fingers crossed that the Thumpers get the same new skin variant as the kickbacks too, either that or the ability to use multiple different flags for stickers in the same model so I can tart it up myself with a load of imported ones.

I got a notification for the 3.75 version,  look's good I'll check it out.

Just seen there's a new Laythe texture too.... 

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Pawelk198604 said:

What parts Ariane 5 is  using if want re create it myself for my career save file 

Its a stock craft, you can find it in the VAB for copying & reverse engineering.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.