ever encountered something small, kinda “ocd-inducing”? (NOTE: id you are like most people and these kind of things make you uncomfortable/drive you up the wall/ANGERY, look away!) for example I just noticed that the “according to all known laws of aviation...”(it’s on this thread, to see for yourself just click off this thread on mobile) tag makes it so on mobile, the tag goes slightly off the screen of the browser, making it so that I have to zoom out to not get an annoying side scroll bar. And, look at my pfp. Hanson’s there, all happy but there is one star... ONE STAR THERE. Just that one star makes me nope.

by the way there are ACTUALLY TWO! One is above me. The other is very faint and next to me (zooming in is [un]advised.) what other ocd-inducing things have you seen.

OK, this topic is triggering me. Here is a simple one:

People who are unable to properly store cutlery in a dishwasher, which means in their respective racks and in the right position. The vast majority of dishwashers (even entry-level) come with three compartments; one for each isn't that logic? Yet, there always has to be a fool to mix it all up. These racks are there to ensure that each category of silverware can be grabbed in one step; clear, fast, and efficient. However, there must always be a moron to mix everything up, because it's so much better to waste your time selecting silverware one by one once the cycle is over.

12 hours ago, XB-70A said:

OK, this topic is triggering me. Here is a simple one:

People who are unable to properly store cutlery in a dishwasher, which means in their respective racks and in the right position. The vast majority of dishwashers (even entry-level) come with three compartments; one for each isn't that logic? Yet, there always has to be a fool to mix it all up. These racks are there to ensure that each category of silverware can be grabbed in one step; clear, fast, and efficient. However, there must always be a moron to mix everything up, because it's so much better to waste your time selecting silverware one by one once the cycle is over.

Hmm, that never occured to me. But here's the thing: You can spend time sorting it into the dishwasher, or into the cutlery tray. It's all the same to me. All I care about is business end up for better cleaning (imo) except for steak knives and other super pointy stuff. Besides, only three compartment? You'll have to mix up the big and little spoons. Anyways, my dishwasher has six smaller cutlery slots, which we also use for small plastic lids...

This is going to be crazy levels of nitpicky, but CGI rocket exhaust plumes in film. They're nearly always depicted as the big, opaque, cloudy exhaust typical of solid motors, even when the rocket in question is very clearly liquid-fueled. I can let it slide if the film in question isn't depicting a real rocket for which good reference footage is available (e.g. the MAV from The Martian)... but if it's a historical film? No. Just NO. There is NO valid excuse for getting that wrong. All the reference footage you could ever want is available for free on the Internet, and it's trivial to look at that footage and observe what the plume & exhaust are supposed to look like. This is not something that's difficult to get right. And yet, movie after movie gets this wrong.

GAH. Drives me completely nuts.

On 5/30/2020 at 9:20 AM, XB-70A said:

People who are unable to properly store cutlery in a dishwasher, which means in their respective racks and in the right position. The vast majority of dishwashers (even entry-level) come with three compartments; one for each isn't that logic?

See in my experience the best way to get a whole load of unwashed spoons is to put them in the same tray. They stick together and cause all manner of problems. So, I do the exact opposite of what you find logical and so have clean spoons spread through the 5 slots, with other silverware between them.

3 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Teenage sons that deliberately break rules :mad:

I thought that's what they were for? Teenage sons break the rules, teenage daughters throw tantrums and give you sass. The root purpose of both is to keep Jim Beam and Hair Club for Men in business. 

Ooooh, where to stop? Hahaha. Here's a few that are related to online-forums:

• Writing words that are not an acronym or abbreviation in ALL CAPS. ("I prefer saving my camera images in RAW format")
  • While on the subject, calling each abbreviation an acronym. It doesn't trigger me anymore, just annoys me. NASA is an acronym. PDF is not.
  • Unnecessary use of some form of mathematical representation when not necessary, ie. writing 6.67×10-11 as 6.67*10^-11 or Isp as ISP. This forum supports the proper formatting, is it really that hard to use it?

1 hour ago, Superfluous J said:

See in my experience the best way to get a whole load of unwashed spoons is to put them in the same tray. They stick together and cause all manner of problems. So, I do the exact opposite of what you find logical and so have clean spoons spread through the 5 slots, with other silverware between them.

I don't have them sticking together. Potentially because I put forks and spoons bottom first, so they tend to disperse. Knives are going head first, however. It's just safer to grab them this way.

3 hours ago, IncongruousGoat said:

This is going to be crazy levels of nitpicky, but CGI rocket exhaust plumes in film. They're nearly always depicted as the big, opaque, cloudy exhaust typical of solid motors, even when the rocket in question is very clearly liquid-fueled. I can let it slide if the film in question isn't depicting a real rocket for which good reference footage is available (e.g. the MAV from The Martian)... but if it's a historical film? No. Just NO. There is NO valid excuse for getting that wrong. All the reference footage you could ever want is available for free on the Internet, and it's trivial to look at that footage and observe what the plume & exhaust are supposed to look like. This is not something that's difficult to get right. And yet, movie after movie gets this wrong.

GAH. Drives me completely nuts.

Pretty nit picky but now I think about it it’s so true. Listen: (I’m not the most educated of people but to my knowledge):

liquid fuel: generally not as much *boooom omg FIRE FARTS*. And in space, it’s just some flame swirling around the bell. It’s easy to find footage. Do historical films not do that? Never watched one. But if they don’t:

seriously.

bruh.

get it right.

When people split the rocket using a TVR adapter and then "join" it back together using another one.

AAAAAAAAAHHH!!  Only ONE of those nodes is actually connected, dude!

It's so terrible because it looks symmetrical but you know it's really not.

7 hours ago, Kerbart said:

NASA is an acronym. PDF is not.

Why pdf is not? "Portable Document Format"

12 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Whenever someone spells (or says) 'a lot' as 'alot' a small part of me dies inside.

So, afew of things brings to you alot of discomfort?

Edited by kerbiloid

3 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Both acronyms and initialisms are made up of the first letter or letters of the words in a phrase. The word acronym typically applies when the resulting thing can be read as a word; for example, radar comes from "radio detection and ranging" and scuba comes from "self-contained underwater breathing apparatus." The word initialism only applies when the resulting thing is read as an abbreviation; for example DIY, which comes from "do it yourself," is pronounced by saying the names of the letters. Note that the word acronym is also sometimes used to mean "initialism."

1 minute ago, StrandedonEarth said:

But you're just pronouncing the letters, pee-dee-eff, instead of pronouncing it as a word, like Nasa, radar, laser, lidar, scuba, etc.

No, I pronounced it "pdf!", like a gunshot.

4 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

An acronym is an abbreviation that is pronounced as a word, not as a series of letters. “Nah-Sah” versus “Pee Dee Eff.” I yet have to here someone pronounce PDF as “pah-duff.”

Edited by Kerbart

10 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

So, afew of things brings to you alot of discomfort?

That is worse than “alot”. You used two in the same sentence and even forgot how to have proper grammar. Like, jeez 

7 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

and asvta comes from "Aperture Science Vital Testing Apparatus”

it was too similar... I had to

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.