Will KSP 2 succeed?

Do you think KSP 2 will succeed?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Will KSP 2 be successful?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know

The Lead developers attitude to the game as expressed in the tidbits we have seen to date suggests...

Yes - this could be the sort of game a very diverse and expanding group of players, who play for years and years. Maybe on and off but enough that each DLC bring revenue. Right time, right level of abstraction, right level of fun  Lots of ways to load in new adventures over time.

Edited by mattinoz

• 4 weeks later...

It probably will succeed.  That said, I don't currently intend to buy it because of what I've read about how Take Two treated Star Theory.  I've been in IT for nearly 40 years now and have seen far too many shenanigans in the corporate world for my liking.  I'm going to do everything I can to not participate in that.  Of course, we haven't heard the whole story yet, so maybe some news will come out to change my mind, but as of right now, it sounds like Take Two decided they didn't want to pay the royalties in their contract with Star Theory, so they pulled the project and then tried to recruit Star Theory's entire staff in one day.  Covid-19 came along and removed Star Theory's prospects of pitching another game, forcing the staff who hadn't already gone to Take Two to go or seek other opportunities.

I'm not going to materially participate in Take Two's destruction of an indie studio.

Danny

Good question... 

57 minutes ago, CrashTestDanny said:

It probably will succeed.  That said, I don't currently intend to buy it because of what I've read about how Take Two treated Star Theory.  I've been in IT for nearly 40 years now and have seen far too many shenanigans in the corporate world for my liking.  I'm going to do everything I can to not participate in that.  Of course, we haven't heard the whole story yet, so maybe some news will come out to change my mind, but as of right now, it sounds like Take Two decided they didn't want to pay the royalties in their contract with Star Theory, so they pulled the project and then tried to recruit Star Theory's entire staff in one day.  Covid-19 came along and removed Star Theory's prospects of pitching another game, forcing the staff who hadn't already gone to Take Two to go or seek other opportunities.

I'm not going to materially participate in Take Two's destruction of an indie studio.

Danny

But we don't really know what happened, just rumours and a one sided story.  I won't buy it if it turns out to be a dud, bud I won't base my decision on what I read in the rumour mill.

2 hours ago, CrashTestDanny said:

Danny

We don't know who's at fault here. For all we know, Star Theory could have been planning to never release KSP 2, just keep delaying the game by a year every year.

26 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

We don't know who's at fault here. For all we know, Star Theory could have been planning to never release KSP 2, just keep delaying the game by a year every year.

But why would they do that? Financially speaking, it doesn't make sense for a company to indefinitely postpone the release of a product they're spending money to develop. If Star Theory had planned to continuously delay KSP 2 and never release it, they would spend money for every day they continued to work on it but never make a return on their investment by actually selling the game. 

Though we might view big corporations as soulless machines that exploit their customers, their ultimate goal is still to make a profit. And working on an expensive product like a game but never making money off it goes entirely against that goal.

Perhaps not. Take Two has lost my trust as a consumer. I am still not convinced that KSP 2 will not be a microtransaction-riddled heartless cash grab wearing the skin of one of my favorite games. Until it is released and proven not to be that, I will remain skeptical. I believe many people looking to buy the game will do something similar, so opening day sales and preorders will probably be lower than expected. Regardless, I am going to wait for a Steam sale to pick it up.

It is sad, really. This was the only thing I was looking forward to this year, and the first game in seven years I considered preordering.

As a commercial success? Will they hit all the design goals they set for themselves? As a good game? 

There are many ways KSP2 can succeed or fail. Which aspect are you looking for?

4 hours ago, kmMango said:

Perhaps not. Take Two has lost my trust as a consumer. I am still not convinced that KSP 2 will not be a microtransaction-riddled heartless cash grab wearing the skin of one of my favorite games. Until it is released and proven not to be that, I will remain skeptical. I believe many people looking to buy the game will do something similar, so opening day sales and preorders will probably be lower than expected. Regardless, I am going to wait for a Steam sale to pick it up.

It is sad, really. This was the only thing I was looking forward to this year, and the first game in seven years I considered preordering.

I highly doubt I'll be that. This isn't EA or Microsoft we're talking about, the worst we'll get is a few cosmetic reskins for multiplayer.

Why do people think they'll add microtransactions, what will it add? Extra fuel for $5? It wouldn't make any sense, maybe cosmetic skins or something but other then that it wouldn't really make sense for this type of game.

As for more parts they'll probably just put out a DLC like KSP 1.

Edited by Pogchampboy
Added words.

15 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:
16 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

But why would they do that? Financially speaking, it doesn't make sense for a company to indefinitely postpone the release of a product they're spending money to develop. If Star Theory had planned to continuously delay KSP 2 and never release it, they would spend money for every day they continued to work on it but never make a return on their investment by actually selling the game. 

Though we might view big corporations as soulless machines that exploit their customers, their ultimate goal is still to make a profit. And working on an expensive product like a game but never making money off it goes entirely against that goal.

My point still stands. The "big corp bad small studio good" logic doesn't work here.

12 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

My point still stands. The "big corp bad small studio good" logic doesn't work here.

That wasn't my point. Small companies can be unethical, sure, but there's being 'bad' and then there's 'doing things that make no financial sense'.

2 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:
20 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

That wasn't my point. Small companies can be unethical, sure, but there's being 'bad' and then there's 'doing things that make no financial sense'.

It was just a scenario. Of course it doesn't make financial sense.

1 minute ago, Bej Kerman said:

It was just a scenario. Of course it doesn't make financial sense.

It doesn't matter anyway. Star Theory is history now, and KSP 2 is continuing development (for better or worse). We still don't have the full story on what happened between T2 and Star Theory.

It's best to just wait and see what KSP 2 is like when it releases.

On 6/30/2020 at 9:25 PM, kmMango said:

Take Two has lost my trust as a consumer

Why? Gta and read dead online? Let's be honest for a second. If millions of idiots give you billions for basically nothing then you would be stupid not to just play along. Everyone complains about publishers but someone is buying their stuff. I think rockstar has more saying than take two anyway. The release when they want and what they want. That been said they are one anyway. 

Edited by dave1904

In my mind the microtransactions thing is fairly obvious. There will not be $0.99 to refuel magically. But they don't want to say "no microtransactions" because they are considering things like:

• having a built-in mod-manager including non-free community written mods.
  • $5 - $10 DLC like making history or breaking ground

Now, a sane person wouldn't consider these microtransactions. But it isn't a sane world out there folks. If they say no microtransactions and then offer DLC part packs with major new features people are going to go "but you lied!!!!" guaranteed. They don't want to agree not to do these things because they know KSP has a really long shelf life and users are going to expect continued development after release, and continued development will need to find some way to fund itself.

6 minutes ago, TheFrizz said:

But they don't want to say "no microtransactions"

Except they said it:

On 6/4/2020 at 10:21 PM, Nate Simpson said:

I say all this now because it sounds like some people are concerned that this project has changed -- either it's canceled (it's not) or it's going to be a freemium game with microtransactions (it's not)

8 minutes ago, TheFrizz said:

having a built-in mod-manager including non-free community written mods.

Why not? If a modder wants to sell his mod instead of giving it out for free it should be free to do so, if the platform used takes care of everything and the modder has only to upload the updates and pick the money then it's right that the platform holder has a cut on that money.

9 minutes ago, TheFrizz said:

$5 - $10 DLC like making history or breaking ground

Making History and Bracking Ground are not microtransaction under any definition, they're DLCs and they never said "No DLC".

Some content has been removed due to personal remarks.

Folks, it's perfectly fine to have debate and disagreement, as long as it's civil.  However, just a friendly reminder that it's never okay to make personal remarks.  Address the post, not the poster, please.

If someone is behaving in a way that you think is so egregious that it's actually breaking the forum rules, then by all means report it and the moderators will have a look.  However, if you merely find their style or attitude personally reprehensible (but not actually rule-breaking), then it's nobody's place to criticize anyone else.  Just address the content of what they said, and leave the person themselves (and your interpretation of their character) out of it.  It never ends well and has a tendency to make threads melt down.

Thank you.

13 hours ago, Master39 said:

Why not? If a modder wants to sell his mod instead of giving it out for free it should be free to do so, if the platform used takes care of everything and the modder has only to upload the updates and pick the money then it's right that the platform holder has a cut on that money.

Honestly, speaking as a modder, even if I had that option, I wouldn't take it.

Why not? Because this is a hobby. I have weeks, months even, where I just don't feel like doing anything with my mods. At the moment I can hide behind "yeah well I didn't make it for you, I made it for me, and I'm just nice enough to let you have a copy for free too"

Paying for mods comes with certain expectations of support, you've paid for a product, you are within your rights to expect it to be updated/fixed. I'd have to make *alot* of money (more than my current job currently pays) to even consider it.