will KSP2 have its ground using soft-body physics?

Good luck storing information about such deformations. I imagine you could use something akin to an octtree, with non-uniform information density, but it still has drawbacks.

But would be cool of course.

2 hours ago, nukeboy76 said:

i understand what your saying, but what if it were a choice to have it for good computers

You've played KSP, yes?
This game eats "good" computers, is slight land deformation (a somewhat intensive task) really that high on the priority list when we are dealing with rigid body dynamics, aerodynamics, heating, patched conics, a million objects moving in the background, and millimeter to astronimical unit scale deviations simultaneously?

Especially if the effects only occur on contact with the surface your landing an unstable rocket on? (yay stuttering during sloped landings...)

Edited by mcwaffles2003

No, it'd take too much resources. KSP 1 is already quite CPU and memory intensive, adding terrain deformation would dramatically reduce the performance of the game while not really adding much in terms of gameplay.

If they stick with PhysX they might drop in the APEX Destruction extension (unless that's baked in now like APEX Cloth was?) Blast library, with the release date now being 2021 we should see at least PhysX 4.1 because Unity 2019.3 is out already with it.

Perhaps they'll go for DOTS + HAVOK and we'll get stateful physics (I hope it does), then using the Cloth module on-top for body deformation becomes a possibility

So maybe?

I could see instantaneous effects where different types of terrain have different amounts of give or bounce. Storing deformations long term, especially at any meaningful resolution? Definitely not.