Will you boycott KSP 2 if T2 throws it under the bus?

Will you boycott KSP 2 if T2 throws it under the bus?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Will you boycott KSP 2 if T2 throws it under the bus?

• Yes
    • No

7 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Please state your opinions on the matter.

with such a direct question a poll is probably most appropriate

As for my opinion, I'm not a fanboy, I just love the game. If the new one sucks why would I buy it?

EDIT: I responded no... I meant yes

Edited by mcwaffles2003

You mean will I buy a game that sucks?

No I will not. But not necessarily due to politics or shenanigans. I just have better things to buy than games I won't play.

Or are you thinking the game will be great but also under a bus?

1 minute ago, Superfluous J said:

You mean will I buy a game that sucks?

No I will not. But not necessarily due to politics or shenanigans. I just have better things to buy than games I won't play.

Or are you thinking the game will be great but also under a bus?

I mean if Take 2 breaks any promises that Star Theory held before, such as no microtransactions.

1 minute ago, Bej Kerman said:

I mean if Take 2 breaks any promises that Star Theory held before, such as no microtransactions.

I guess it depends on how much that makes it suck.

I'm not going to deny myself a truly great game because you can choose to buy Jeb a hat in it. But I'm not going to buy one where you have to pay for a season pass to get 5 meter parts.

Not sure where the line is, but it's between those somewhere.

My response on this thread is not in my capacity as a moderator or as an official spokesman for Take-Two or Squad...

They are not going to throw it under the bus. KSP2 will be a moneymaker when it comes out. And believe me, I do believe it will.

Edited by adsii1970

Two years later, when KSP-2 gets released, this poll should be re-polled because most of the nowadays users will forget about KSP, while most of those days users will have no idea what is this poll about.

7 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Two years later, when KSP-2 gets released, this poll should be re-polled because most of the nowadays users will forget about KSP, while most of those days users will have no idea what is this poll about.

You're exactly right. It's a game. It's not like it's life essential. :)

And to be honest, who really needs to lose sleep over this, anyway. It's not like any of this is going to diminish our fun playing the original KSP.

It's sad that as soon as something negative comes out about any software producing company, the "Chicken Little" noise begins. I've been playing PC games since 1992 and have seen a lot since then. I've seen companies bought out by larger competitors. Sometimes good titles are preserved by those kinds of moves and other times, the competing games are phased out (Chris Sawyer's Transport Tycoon). But here's the thing about the computer gaming industry: there will be more games made. So, let's quit with the panicky stuff, focus on what we do like about the original KSP, and not worry about KSP2 until it gets here.

My response on this thread is not in my capacity as a moderator or as an official spokesman for Take-Two or Squad...

48 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Pretty hard to do, given that "throws KSP 2 under the bus" is, 1. vague, and 2. a loaded term.

• If KSP 2 ends up looking like a fun game that I will enjoy playing, with enough freedom to mod it that I expect to be a long-term player, then I'll buy it.
  • If it doesn't, then I won't.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Seems pretty clear cut to me.

I think what would really kill it would be if T2 go full ham on mods like they try to do with GTA; banning them because of 'multiplayer concerns' (which you have to admit, would be a load of bulls***).
There's 4 ways they could go with mods:
1. Do what they do now, allow mods and mod creators own the rights.
2. Allow mods but T2 own the rights.
3. Ban mods all together.
4 Go Bethesda route and have paid mods.

If they do what EA has done to The Sims, locking what was already available behind another paywall would also be another really sh*tty move and completely alienate the dedicated fanbase altogether.

21 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Just curious how any microtransactions would ever even fit in this game

Nothing to add on top of that.

26 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Just curious how any microtransactions would ever even fit in this game

It's true and I'd be surprised given the obvious backlash if they tried. Not to give out bad ideas but I could see folks trying to charge for categories of parts and new planets and moons.

2 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

It's true and I'd be surprised given the obvious backlash if they tried. Not to give out bad ideas but I could see folks trying to charge for categories of parts and new planets and moons.

I feel you, but unless they banned modding those wouldn't matter and if they did no one would play the game to give them those micros

If make the game multiplayer and have multiple star systems, they could sell tickets to land or build at best places.

I'm not really aware of online games, but maybe something like Minecraft or Eve? What do they have there for money?

Edited by kerbiloid

Just now, kerbiloid said:

If make the game multiplayer and have multiple star systems, they could sell tickets to land or build at best places.

I'm not really aware of online games, maybe but something like Minecraft or Eve?

And then you loose like 99% of the player base.

Even Minecraft is for the most part single player or coop with friends, there is no way of turning KSP into an MMO without removing timewarp and realistic space travel but at that point the only KSP thing remaining would be Kerbals themselves and you would just have a Kerbal clone of either Space Engineers or Elite: Dangerous.

1 hour ago, Superfluous J said:

I guess it depends on how much that makes it suck.

I'm not going to deny myself a truly great game because you can choose to buy Jeb a hat in it. But I'm not going to buy one where you have to pay for a season pass to get 5 meter parts.

Not sure where the line is, but it's between those somewhere.

50 minutes ago, Snark said:

Pretty hard to do, given that "throws KSP 2 under the bus" is, 1. vague, and 2. a loaded term.

• If KSP 2 ends up looking like a fun game that I will enjoy playing, with enough freedom to mod it that I expect to be a long-term player, then I'll buy it.
  • If it doesn't, then I won't.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Seems pretty clear cut to me.

Well said on both of these.  Beyond what Snark & Superfluous J said, it's really too early to tell.  Some of the snippets that have come out look wonderful, others concern me a little.  But so far, its too little to make a decision yet - and even if I had full info right now, some things could change by release time.

3 hours ago, katateochi said:

Has there been some recent news that has brought up this concern?

4 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

<snip>

How about if, say, a big publisher negotiated in bad faith and then renegged on a deal in the making to buy Star Theory, poaching staff along the way?

I'm sick with rage as I type this.  I will not be buying KSP2.  I urge any of you with a shred of empathy for game devs to boycott this product.  Nothing changes if we go 'welp, that's just how it is'.  Or buy it, and then wait for macrotransactions (micro, HAH!) and slicing off of content to be resold as DLC and season passes.  It WILL happen.  These publishers know no boundaries.  They only know how much they can get away with and will always try to push that line further away from being good for the customer.

EDIT:  See Jim Sterling's video. <snip>

EDIT 2:  Here we go.  The ever-lovely Matt Lowne produced a video about the same news, but without the swearing.  <snip>

Edited by Snark
Redacted by moderator

9 minutes ago, Defenestrator47 said:

<snip>

Please use the actual article as a source and not a youtuber who's whole career is talking and arguing against publishers.

12 minutes ago, Defenestrator47 said:

I will not be buying KSP2.  I urge any of you with a shred of empathy for game devs to boycott this product.  Nothing changes if we go 'welp, that's just how it is'.  Or buy it, and then wait for macrotransactions (micro, HAH!) and slicing off of content to be resold as DLC and season passes.  It WILL happen.  These publishers know no boundaries. 

I'll make the decision based on the actual product when the actual product finally releases, I'll not make any leap of faith in any direction.

15 minutes ago, Master39 said:

Please use the actual article as a source and not a youtuber who's whole career is talking and arguing against publishers.

I'll make the decision based on the actual product when the actual product finally releases, I'll not make any leap of faith in any direction.

Except that he quite perfectly summarizes the article.  The argument he makes, and that I agree with, is that making this decision based on the game only ignores the unethical way this publisher behaves, and the way that all publishers behave.  With extremely rare exceptions, this is normative, and it shouldn't be.