What is Your Favorite Thing of KSP 1

Personally, I loved how ksp was developed by a small, unknown indie studio, and it would rise to have the following it has to say. The ksp community is one of the best out there.

Also, I feel that the ksc doesn''t get enough credit for looking so good. There is an incredible amount of detail that was put into the buildings.

Oh wow... I cant say just one thing. I love the freedom and space (pun i know) sandbox gives me to write and play out my own story, and to breath a creative breath into the void and bring that wondrous story alive. I also love how as @Lewie said: 

5 hours ago, Lewie said:

how ksp was developed by a small, unknown indie studio, and it would rise to have the following it has to say. The ksp community is one of the best out there.

Dont think I could say it better. 

I liked that it was developed ,and funded entirely base off word of mouth.

They made a good game, and sold it  for a price that match the features in the game at the time.  It was constantly updated and evolving. There was no DLC/micro transactions, no spy ware, no DRM, Just a good game.

Hard to say just one.

1. Probably the union of modability + awesome community. That's hard to beat. Lots of games have one or the other. Sure the base game would still be damn great, but it wouldn't be as great for just as long. Not to say the amount of mods that had ideas plucked into the base game, so there's also the fact of continuing development.

2. High up there for me is the fact that it's not "canned", i.e. it allows for immense doses of creativity. There's no "one way" of doing anything.

3. Then the fact that there's at least some realism. That is, one can learn something about the world by playing it.

So that should be my "top three". Kind of in order, but those three are kind of a must for my enjoyment. If a game drops one of them I lose interest very quickly.

The size of Kerbin and therefore required skill level to reach orbit is the fact I really admire most about KSP 1.

And the decision to publish the API and embrace plugins was probably key to it's long running success. Without it would have been a great game, but never received the community and long term motivation of all players here.

Edited by CBase

For me, it's the intuitive grasp on real-world rocket science and orbital mechanics it's given me.

The manoeuvre planner is the unsung hero in that regard. Being able to see instantly the effect of any burn and the effect of burning more/less... Early space programs would have LOVED that sort of tool.

Watching space missions with an understanding of what they're doing, how, and why, is something I really doubt I would have had without KSP.

My favorite thing in KSP 1 is that there are some very tough challenges in the game. It took me a lot of design iterations and failures before I could get a manned Eve return or any kind of Tylo landing. You really have to think your missions through and come up with your own designs and strategies to get a rover safely to the ground on Duna, or build a substantial space station, or put a spaceplane on Laythe.

2 hours ago, Jimmidii said:

For me, it's the intuitive grasp on real-world rocket science and orbital mechanics it's given me.

The manoeuvre planner is the unsung hero in that regard. Being able to see instantly the effect of any burn and the effect of burning more/less... Early space programs would have LOVED that sort of tool.

Watching space missions with an understanding of what they're doing, how, and why, is something I really doubt I would have had without KSP.

I can see where you were you are coming from. When I first bought the game I knew I wasn’t getting to space easily. But when I bought it on steam (I played on xbox first) I had some experience, but didn’t know the key-binds until I started looking it up and going through trainings.   And now I know a lot more about rockets then I did before.

Edited by Little Kerbonaut!
Had to add more information.

Versatility.

The base game itself gives you a load of parts that you can assemble in (almost) any way you like, so there are a near infinite number of ways to get to space or create gigantic explosions while trying to get to space. Difficulty can be adjusted in many ways and each game mode has a different emphasis even though they are all basically doing the same thing in slightly different ways.

Both DLCs add a lot to the game- Making History’s additional parts are both functional and look very like their real world counterparts, and the mission system adds a whole new set of challenges to overcome; Breaking Ground has the robotics parts and adds a lot of new things to do after planting a flag. Both add new spacesuits as well and the BG future suit is particularly good looking with the adjustable light patterns.

Mods add so much more on top of that- new planets and even solar systems, new looks, new visual effects, more parts, autopilots and tools and so much more. Hyper light ships, colony ships, space stations, ground bases, terrain mapping and imagery, aircraft, submarines, life support and so much more in various flavours and various levels of realism is available for you to add to the game, for free!

Want to pretend you’re NASA or ROSCOSMOS sending the first (Ker)man to the real Moon with real rockets and real life support? You can do that, just add some mods.

Want to build your rockets out of garden furniture and kitchen appliances, make all your Kerbals have purple hair and paint all your rockets the same shade of green as a Kerbal? You can do that too, just add some different mods

Want to host a full scale war, on Eve, with twenty people building the tanks/planes/ships and then watching the battle unfold across land, sea and air, before someone decides to nuke them all from orbit? Yep, you can do that too!

It’s a fun game, but just playing it I’ve learnt a huge amount about space, space travel and how difficult it actually is to get there in the first place.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.