I believe the developers' intentions are good, but 1.5 years is a long time.
And the publisher decides what will or won't be in the released product, not the developers (and if it will be released at all).
If the developers are not agreed with the publisher, they can be replaced, like we can see right now.
So, the publisher's opinion may not always coincide with the promises of the development team.

And as they say here, no pix - no clix.

You didn't really address any of the people who got shafted by T2 playing hardball, which is a much bigger issue than worrying about the game itself. Ya'll really just let it all blow over because videogameman says no microtransactions, but move on from a publisher destroying another indie game company. 

Jebus.

I can only really say what everyone else has already said. Thank you for the reassurance, Nate - it's good to know that you and the rest of the KSP2 team still has the best interests of the game and the community at heart. The article really got everyone worried, and you've at least alleviated those fears. But knowing what Take 2 has done in the past, and the extra degree of control it now has over KSP2, still makes a part of me worried - worried mostly about its questionably ethical actions.

It's so easy to hate a faceless corporation like Take 2. But knowing that there are actually people behind the development of this game who actually care about making KSP2 a true successor to the original helps a lot. Thanks so much for your input - it's lessened my skepticism quite a bit. Let's hope KSP2 can truly live up to the hype.

I'll weigh in here myself.  While I do hope that KSP2 is great and unaffected by this, my fear is that corporate decision makers will start meddling.  If this does happen I will not hesitate to move the game from it's current position of might buy to the definitely not list.  It had previously been in my definite buy list but now it's not.

Hope KSP2 will be able to use multicore.  That's the only feature I actually miss in the old good KSP 1.  

Having 4 FPS  during complex vechicle launch, when only one core of 6 is actually loaded is pain.

2 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

It's so easy to hate a faceless corporation like Take 2. But knowing that there are actually people behind the development of this game who actually care about making KSP2 a true successor to the original helps a lot. Thanks so much for your input - it's lessened my skepticism quite a bit. Let's hope KSP2 can truly live up to the hype.

That really the crux of it, they are hoping that by putting a face on it, and by focusing on the game, that they can head off any negative feeling about what they've done.

1 minute ago, Tweeker said:

That really the crux of it, they are hoping that by putting a face on it, and by focusing on the game, that they can head off any negative feeling about what they've done.

For me at least, the negative feelings towards Take 2 - particularly the way I feel about their questionably ethical actions - are not gone at all. I still feel like this was a huge injustice towards Star Theory, and I doubt that its former employees, especially those who were left without a job, feel very good about it either. Probably the only reason why Nate and the other core members of the dev team moved to Intercept immediately was because they are certainly the most enthusiastic about it and they felt that this was the only way they could continue working on their brainchild.

At least, this reassures me that Take 2's takeover and mistreatment of Star Theory's employees has not affected the direction and spirit of the game - at least for now. While it may be small next to Take 2's evisceration of Star Theory, at least we - the potential customers - know that we (probably) won't be getting a product marred by the messy office politics that happened during its development. Nate's input doesn't immediately sweep away what Take 2 has done - far from it - but it does help, a little.

While this is encouraging to hear...I am curious what HAS changed...maybe not directly with the game and it's planned 1.0 release. I have no reason to believe they would deviate from the marketing and plans laid out. But what about the future? What about the vision after the game hits 1.0? What about the team that decides these sorts of things?

If none of that has changed then why did Take Two feel it was so vital to eviscerate a studio and demolish the dev team of a game so close to release? Who says anyone on the current dev team is safe at all? You watched the lion eat your last company and now you are sleeping with said lion hoping it won't hurt you.

Like I said...what you said is encouraging and all...but it's just lots of fluffy words...none of which actually explained what happened. You say nothing is changing but I find that to be impossible given the giant shakeup that happened.

I had faith in Star Theory and what you were doing but I am not so naive to think that literally nothing has changed. Hopefully all the changes are purely business/money changes but KSP2 is totally on my wait and see list now which really really sucks.

Thanks for your time and message.

I apologize for being cynical, but my stance on this matter is "I believe it when I see it". I'm sure your heart is in the right place, but that only gets us so far. Ultimately, it's the end product that matters, and the world of game development is, like any other endeavour, littered with broken promises. Hopefully, you can stay the course and deliver the game we're all waiting for, but until then, I'll remain sceptical.

16 hours ago, Nate Simpson said:

I say all this now because it sounds like some people are concerned that this project has changed -- either it's canceled (it's not) or it's going to be a freemium game with microtransactions (it's not), or it'll be debased in some way (it won't be). I want to make super clear that nothing from our original vision for this game has been altered in any way.

My concern is not for the game, but for the actions of the company that I would be giving money if I bought the game.

though it has often been helpful to get feedback from the community when we're exploring what does and doesn't work (yes, we know how you feel about the navball)

Do you have any second thoughts about (from what I've seen) the stronger criticism of the metallichydrogen engines? Will there be techs of comparable performance based on sound science, such as pebble bed/liquid core/gas core NTRs?

Do you still think Minmus is made of Ice?

These are the things that raised red flags for me about the game. This latest news raises red flags about the company.

Combine the two, and I may just keep playing KSP1 instead.

Oh, and to add to my earlier post....I have literally zero reason to believe you made this post out of your own volition (you didn't even have a presence on the forums...now you do for this one post) nor do I have any reason to believe your move to Intercept games and your allegiance to Take Two has is anything other than a mix of not wanting to lose your job (hope you got a raise) and wanting to continue working on KSP2. Neither of those are wrong or bad but it also means I have no reason to trust anything you say...you don't work for yourself. You do whatever it is you need to do and say whatever you need to say to keep your job.

I get it, I can't blame you and I am not even mad at you or any of the other devs, but don't expect me to trust you.

Thank you for taking the time to post this here.

The unfortunate truth for me atleast is that even if KSP2 comes out perfect, it's still tarnished by the actions of corporate greed surrounding it.
Even if the game is perfect, buying it means giving take two money, which means encouraging their behavior. This is something I will not do.

I'd also like to point out one small little thing:

17 hours ago, Nate Simpson said:

some people are concerned that this project has changed -- either it's canceled (it's not) or it's going to be a freemium game with microtransactions (it's not), or it'll be debased in some way (it won't be). I want to make super clear that nothing from our original vision for this game has been altered in any way. And I want to be extra, super clear that we've never once gotten any pressure from the publisher or anyone else to change, add, or remove any feature from KSP2. I especially want to call out Michael Cook, our executive producer at Private Division, as somebody who has been supportive of us from day one and who I've seen get visibly giddy during conversations about Z-pinch fusion devices. He's one of us.

I'm not worried about KSP2 becoming a freemium game with microtransactions. I'm worried about KSP2 becoming a premium game with microtransactions.

I've heard promises from studios and even publishers themselves over and over. And the biggest lesson I learned from that is that those promises mean very, very, little.

Good luck on your project. I will judge KSP2 on the delivered product, not the promised product.
I'll also try to not let my opinion of the publisher's actions muddle my judgement.*

* This promise is about as much value as a publisher saying "We'll be nice from now on!". We both know it's super unlikely.

Edited by Jognt

18 hours ago, Nate Simpson said:

I say all this now because it sounds like some people are concerned that this project has changed -- either it's canceled (it's not) or it's going to be a freemium game with microtransactions (it's not), or it'll be debased in some way (it won't be).

That just eased me, and probably hundreds of community members :) 

This is good to hear and, to some degree, calms some of my worries. Do you know if under this new studio the team is still protected from stuff like Crunch and stress casualties? I would very much hope so as that not being the case would unfortunately be a dealbreaker for me personally. 

Thanks Nate for the update. I guess we all are very expectant for KSP2 and this can create some anxiety when all we have is partial information. I'd say that , like in many things, communication is key. Keep us updated on the progress but also on setbacks.

23 hours ago, Nate Simpson said:

We're still working hard on this game. As usual, we have more stuff we want to show off in the coming weeks and months as we continue to bring new systems online. For most of us on this team, this is a dream come true -- a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to work on something we truly love. That has not changed, and I hope it never changes.

Is there a chance that now that the dust is settling that the progress updates to the community may become more regular?

20 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Also, I think I speak for most of us when I say that we prefer many small updates -- even if there's not a lot to tell -- over fancy big stories with videos and many screenshots. Because those small updates mean that the game we love and care about is getting closer to its release.

What this guy said!

23 hours ago, Nate Simpson said:

Thanks for your patience and understanding. I look forward to playing this game with all of you.

You gunna have time to play with ALL of us? That's a tall order and there's a lot of us :P

Edited by mcwaffles2003

9 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

For me at least, the negative feelings towards Take 2 - particularly the way I feel about their questionably ethical actions - are not gone at all. I still feel like this was a huge injustice towards Star Theory, and I doubt that its former employees, especially those who were left without a job, feel very good about it either. Probably the only reason why Nate and the other core members of the dev team moved to Intercept immediately was because they are certainly the most enthusiastic about it and they felt that this was the only way they could continue working on their brainchild.

At least, this reassures me that Take 2's takeover and mistreatment of Star Theory's employees has not affected the direction and spirit of the game - at least for now. While it may be small next to Take 2's evisceration of Star Theory, at least we - the potential customers - know that we (probably) won't be getting a product marred by the messy office politics that happened during its development. Nate's input doesn't immediately sweep away what Take 2 has done - far from it - but it does help, a little.

That is , as the saying goes, "The banality of evil", It wasn't personal, just business. 

and  by the way, Have you met this nice guy who is really passionate about #product. 

On 6/4/2020 at 9:21 PM, Nate Simpson said:

This was a game that scratched a creative itch that no other game ever had

How many hours do you have in this game may I ask? (steam stats pls)