On 6/4/2020 at 1:21 PM, Nate Simpson said:

Nate Simpson here -- I'm the creative director for KSP2, and I've been following the passionate discussion taking place on this forum. There have been a couple of emerging narratives that I'd like to address here.

As some of you may know, I came into this role primarily because of my love for the original Kerbal Space Program. I go back to the .15 days, before EVA was even a thing. I remember when Jool was born, and I remember the first time I used the (all-new) NERV engines to get there. This was a game that scratched a creative itch that no other game ever had. For me, it started a life-long love affair with space technology, and enlarged my understanding of the real world. One of the many joys of this job is that I've gotten to meet, hang out with, and even work alongside the people at Squad who are making sure that KSP continues to be the greatest game of all time.

From the very first day that my co-developers and I got a chance to put together a proposal for this game, my main purpose has been to imagine and define what KSP2 could be. It's real kid-in-a-candy-store stuff, and I have no illusions that to get to all of it will take at least as long as the original game has been around.

But there were a few things that we had to get right from day one. Of course that included the big new features - colonies, interstellar, and multiplayer. Equally important was the need to enhance the first-time user experience, tutorials, and user interface to make the game easier to get into as a newcomer.

But as important as all the new stuff is, it's equally important for us to preserve the magic of the original game. Its sense of humor, its commitment to physical realism, its stealthy teaching of rocket science. Also, its flexibility to different styles of play, and its ability to appeal to players across a wide spectrum of interests and abilities. I hope that I'm doing a good job of advocating for all of these perspectives -- though it has often been helpful to get feedback from the community when we're exploring what does and doesn't work (yes, we know how you feel about the navball).

I say all this now because it sounds like some people are concerned that this project has changed -- either it's canceled (it's not) or it's going to be a freemium game with microtransactions (it's not), or it'll be debased in some way (it won't be). I want to make super clear that nothing from our original vision for this game has been altered in any way. And I want to be extra, super clear that we've never once gotten any pressure from the publisher or anyone else to change, add, or remove any feature from KSP2. I especially want to call out Michael Cook, our executive producer at Private Division, as somebody who has been supportive of us from day one and who I've seen get visibly giddy during conversations about Z-pinch fusion devices. He's one of us.

We're still working hard on this game. As usual, we have more stuff we want to show off in the coming weeks and months as we continue to bring new systems online. For most of us on this team, this is a dream come true -- a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to work on something we truly love. That has not changed, and I hope it never changes.

Thanks for your patience and understanding. I look forward to playing this game with all of you.

This is nice to hear. That means @Nate Simpson understand how the KSP community feels and knows what makes KSP so good. 

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 6/4/2020 at 2:21 PM, Nate Simpson said:

I want to make super clear that nothing from our original vision for this game has been altered in any way.

Really? I paid for Kerbal Space Program with the promise that all future content would be included.

But it looks like, if I want to access the future content you are creating, I will have to pay for the game again. This is pretty dishonest behavior from a publisher. And it's not in line with your original vision for the game.  Early adopters of KSP should be given the content you are developing.

Not cool to just slap a "2" on your new expansions and pretend it's something different for money.

TaleWorlds Entertainment did the same thing with Mount&Blade. They promised all future content for early adopters...and then were acquired by a new publisher who scrapped that promise, added one word to the name of the game - the SAME game - and started charging for all new content again. Sad to see the same thing happen to KSP.

It's like selling someone unlimited sandwiches for life, and then a few years later saying "No, we don't make sandwiches anymore, we only make hoagies" just to get out of it.

At the very least it should be steeply discounted for the people who made all prior development possible.

"Employees not get paid" and "Parent company sees marginally reduced profits" are two very different things, my friend.

I think TakeTwo would be just fine if they did right by consumers.

Increased profit for them does not, in fact, mean increased wages for programmers...that should be the case, but it's not.

7 hours ago, metacognate said:

Really? I paid for Kerbal Space Program with the promise that all future content would be included.

But it looks like, if I want to access the future content you are creating, I will have to pay for the game again. This is pretty dishonest behavior from a publisher. And it's not in line with your original vision for the game.  Early adopters of KSP should be given the content you are developing.

Not cool to just slap a "2" on your new expansions and pretend it's something different for money.

But this isn't extra content for KSP, it's a new game?

Do none of the other games you play have sequels? Do you think you should get those for free as well??

Edited by WelshSteW

4 hours ago, metacognate said:

It's like selling someone unlimited sandwiches for life, and then a few years later saying "No, we don't make sandwiches anymore, we only make hoagies" just to get out of it.

If you promise free sandwiches forever for everyone your sandwich stand is going to fail.

The person buying the stand after your harebrained bankruptcy has made no promise and has no responsibility to follow you to a bankruptcy of their own.

The choice here isn't between paying for KSP2 or having it as a free update, but between paying for KSP2 or having no game at all.

Nobody would fund the development of a completely new game out of the remaining sales of a 10 years old game, not without some aggressive monetization scheme. The math simply doesn't work out.

8 hours ago, metacognate said:

Not cool to just slap a "2" on your new expansions and pretend it's something different for money

On top of the financial part (which is really the important part, this game would never exist if it couldn’t monetize itself fully), calling KSP 2 an “expansion” is beyond silly. Take ten minutes to look at the amount of work being put in, and maybe look at the fact that the devs aren’t building off of old code but making core systems from scratch, and you’ll see that KSP 2 is genuinely a different game. It would be like calling Simplerockets (the original 2D one) and KSP 1 the same game. The feature sets are so much larger for KSP 1 that the comparison fails. 

10 hours ago, metacognate said:

TaleWorlds Entertainment did the same thing with Mount&Blade. They promised all future content for early adopters...and then were acquired by a new publisher who scrapped that promise, added one word to the name of the game - the SAME game - and started charging for all new content again. Sad to see the same thing happen to KSP.

At the very least it should be steeply discounted for the people who made all prior development possible.

Free access to all future contents of KSP 1. But we are talking of KSP 2. It's a different game, not an update.

• 4 months later...
On 12/20/2022 at 5:09 PM, CytauriKerbal said:

I wonder If KSP 2 will have burn marks on re-entry. It would be cool!

That’s technically possible in KSP1 right now, the textures just aren’t set up for it. 

(talking stock heat shield, which can be masked)

20 hours ago, Starwaster said:

That’s technically possible in KSP1 right now, the textures just aren’t set up for it. 

(talking stock heat shield, which can be masked)

Hmm… that is interesting. Wonder if it could be done

22 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Yeah. It's also automatic IIRC, but you can manually set the soot level if you want to launch a "Reused" rocket.

Oh, so you can manually make it look like it’s burnt. That could maybe be used as textures for if a mod for re entry would be made. Cool!

On 8/4/2022 at 11:52 PM, metacognate said:

You paid for KSP 1 and got a decade of updates. Now you have to pay in order to play an entirely different game that isn't built on spaghetti code, with many times more content, new gameplay loops, and polish??

Buying KSP 1 wasn't a free pass to get everything else on Steam.

On 8/5/2022 at 1:52 AM, metacognate said:

Game publishers make money from them, and they unfortunately have to do so. After all, it depends on how well they will make updates. Fans are waiting for quality updates.