KSP2 should be rebranded

Just a thought I've had for a while, I wanted to share with you guys...I think the name "Kerbal Space Program" should be slightly modified into "Kerbal Space Simulation", "Kerbal Space Simulation Program", something similar, so that a wider range of audience can understand what the game actually entails. I remember the last time I told a random person about KSP, they took one look at the name and the little green kerbals and immediately assumed it was just some dumb kiddie game. But KSP is obviously much much more than that, as it's meant to be a true simulation of orbital mechanics and atmospheric conditions (even if the planets are made up), etc. So I feel like KSP2 should be renamed to KSSP, KSS2, or something similar before the release. Just a thought.

What do you guys think?

Naaw if they prejudge based on the Kerbals in a picture, they'll see the word "simulator" and assume it's like Goat Simulator.

You can't win with some people. Best to just let those ones go and concentrate on the ones who will give your game a chance.

3 hours ago, Tortoise said:

I think the name "Kerbal Space Program" should be slightly modified into "Kerbal Space Simulation", "Kerbal Space Simulation Program"

Kerbal Program for Space Simulation, abbr. KPSS.

And community members - into members of KPSS, abbr. communists.

Edited by kerbiloid

The problem is, "Kerbal Space Simulation" is incorrect English for the description.

The game is titled Program because you are taking control of Kerbals, who have a space program, deriving from the Space Program NASA had.

The title is describing what the Kerbals are doing - and they aren't simulating anything. It is a Space Program run by Kerbals - hence Kerbal Space Program.

And no amount of title description altering will change your friend looking at a game, seeing cartoon aliens, and assuming it is for kids. That was his visual takeaway from looking at them, not the title. The original devs chose Kerbals to try and get kids involved in the first place.

Edited by Stevie_D

7 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

Naaw if they prejudge based on the Kerbals in a picture, they'll see the word "simulator" and assume it's like Goat Simulator.

Goat sim is one of my all time favorites

8 hours ago, Tortoise said:

Just a thought I've had for a while, I wanted to share with you guys...I think the name "Kerbal Space Program" should be slightly modified into "Kerbal Space Simulation", "Kerbal Space Simulation Program", something similar, so that a wider range of audience can understand what the game actually entails. I remember the last time I told a random person about KSP, they took one look at the name and the little green kerbals and immediately assumed it was just some dumb kiddie game. But KSP is obviously much much more than that, as it's meant to be a true simulation of orbital mechanics and atmospheric conditions (even if the planets are made up), etc. So I feel like KSP2 should be renamed to KSSP, KSS2, or something similar before the release. Just a thought.

What do you guys think?

Nope

9 hours ago, Tortoise said:

What do you guys think?

What is the point? Kerbal Space Program is much catchier than a cliche [insert word] [insert word] [simulator] name.

It would be a very bad rebranding. If you check out the scum traps in the sewers of Steam you will find it littered with (*blank*) Simulator "games" in it.  While there are certainly a few actual games, some of them being pretty good, most are just trashy asset flips that barely qualify as "games".

If the "person" does not know about KSP and thinks that it is for children - he has nothing to do in this game. So the problems disappear by themselves.

Edited by OOM

KSP is a game for a space agency

You can make KCP for Kerbal Colony Program?

Either way KSP 2 will probably stay