Delta Engineering & Rocket Production Co. (DERP Co) Parts Pack 0.1

j516mt

Alright guys, here is the first release from DERP Co. I really intend this first release to be a beta as I haven't been able to test everything as much as I'd like. The textures are the best I can do for now, though I would certainly like to improve them in the near future. Please provide any feedback guys, thanks! Also big thanks to NovaSilisko for the KSP logo!

DERP Co. Parts Pack 0.1

First up we have the Substandard Orbital Station (S.O.S.) Space Station which is divided into 4 parts: Orbital Thruster (Engine), Support Module (Fuel Tank), Habitation Module (S.A.S. Module) & Transfer Decoupler (Decoupler). Thanks to sirscott for the idea of a single module space station

screenshot20110914at840.png

Next up is the side-mount parachute. Basically just recoded the original parachute to mount on the side of ships. I also slightly retextured it. I imagine this could help in designing ships intended for making more than one landing.

screenshot20110911at122.png

Finally I have the Reverse Tricoupler. Designed to go from 3 back to 1. I saw someone request this and decided to give it a shot, though it is very limited at this time. It seems that it can't actually go back from 3 fuel tanks to a single engine as it only actually attaches to a single tank. At this point it's more or less for aesthetic purposes.

Sure it has SAS capability. Where did you think constellation Urion (reference to Apollo 13) came from? :))

Although the 'fuel' has some pretty low exhaust velocity ;)

I'd love to make a 2.5 meter diameter 'Tuna can' style habitation module, such as one you might see in concepts for mars missions (just barely large enough to fit into a 3 meter diameter shroud). Damn I wish i had the patience to learn how to model/skin :(

• 2 weeks later...

Does the fuel in all three tanks get used by the engine below the reverse tricoupler? Since you can only have one object attached to the top, you're really only connected to one of those tanks. The other two should be dead weight unless there is something allowing the transfer of fuel horizontally.

Arrr!

Capt'n Skunky

Does the fuel in all three tanks get used by the engine below the reverse tricoupler? Since you can only have one object attached to the top, you're really only connected to one of those tanks. The other two should be dead weight unless there is something allowing the transfer of fuel horizontally.

Arrr!

Capt'n Skunky

Unless he placed the fuel tanks on top of the reverse tricoupler, as opposed to placing the tricoupler under the fuel tanks.

Supurb work on the Mini-station MN! Its nice to know that making well-thought out requests actually gets things done :D

Now , The models look about the right size for the station we are thinking of and I can see you are moving on to textures. If I may be so bold I would suggest that you re-skin the habitation module at the same time to make it look less like a fuel tank , perhaps instead spreading the portholes longitudinally and giving it an all over sheet metal skin. The only thing I can see that might be missing is the solar panels , which are a bit tricky I know. Perhaps you could texture circular ones onto the outside of the Support module? A ring of panels around the thickest part of the station would look about right I think.

@Warringer: It does look a bit like the MOL doesnt it? When I was doing the research for my thread in the request thread I came across a few early space station concepts on both sides of the Iron curtain. I eventually pumped for the early Salyut models because they were actually launched , but truth be told there are several possible prototypes. As well as the helpfully tube-like MOL , Big Gemini (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Gemini) was considered , as was the Russian TKS FB (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TKS_spacecraft). Both of these have advantages from our perspective in as much that they were intended to be launched with their crews already aboard and with the return capsules secured in a nose-first position. On the downside , they were not intended as long-duration space-stations in their own right , look less like a 'Space Station' , and were never launched in real life. Of course , this doesn't stop us from looking for inspiration here. ;D

Arrr!

Capt'n Skunky

I've just been playing around with it and it seems that you're right. As of now I guess you'll be limited to solid rocket boosters unless I can figure out how to allow the cross-feed as you said. When I was initially testing it, I saw that only 1 tank was using fuel, but I had assumed that it was using them 1 at a time. I suppose I'll turn off cross feed totally for now so that people don't have this issue.

Alright guys. After my first full-scale attempt to put the S.O.S. into orbit, I accidently ended up slingshotting the crew around the planet and they are currently hurling into space. My resolution to this problem: the next release of my pack will include a self-destruct mechanism. I've got some ideas on how it'll work. At least we'll be able to end the suffering of the crew quickly if we so choose.

Finally I have the Reverse Tricoupler. Designed to go from 3 back to 1. I saw someone request this and decided to give it a shot, though it is very limited at this time. It seems that it can't actually go back from 3 fuel tanks to a single engine as it only actually attaches to a single tank. At this point it's more or less for aesthetic purposes.

I used it under a triple stack of LFRs to attach a 3m tank and motor.

Needed to be heavily braced w struts though.

Could you make a version that works as a decoupler?

self destruct system=

module = solidRocket

thrust = 0
fuelconsumption = 0
heatproduction = 10000000000
fullexplosivepotential = 10000000

That was my initial thought as well. However, in actual practice while it detonates itself it doesn't destroy the command pod. What I've been playing around with is a SRB that'll tear right through the rest of the ship, including the command pod.