[WIP] Jade's Dev Thread

JadeOfMaar

On 1/31/2021 at 1:57 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

My attention has been stolen away from Sterling Engines. With Angel-125 picking up pace in BlueShift, I found myself drafting something that I know I and a few would really like to have and enjoy using with BlueShift, and so, I've decided to change priorities for now.

Impulse Party

A very small suite of handwavium engines and scoops that FTL users will delight in having. Planned parts:

• Sublight "Impulse Drives" (already done but unfinished textures: 1.25m, Mk2, 2.5m). They will grant great dV and will work very well in both vac ant atmo. You've seen Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen.
  • One custom modular warp nacelle. Bulkhead profile is 2.5m (head) 3.1m (body), Mk2 (tail).
  • Trek style bussard scoops for eco exo harvesting whatever you like. In 1.25m, Mk2, 2.5m, 3.75m.
  • Warp Cores (Fusion reactors in the absence of warp mods). Available in Mk2, 2.5m, 3.75m, and 1.25m sphere.

Those Impulse drives could fit really well for an ED-Style ship... I need to try those out on my Type-10 Defender recreation!

• 1 month later...
On 10/22/2021 at 9:10 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

Choose what you want and just place each config into GameData (anywhere is fine, just remember where you put them).

Thanks, this worked!

Btw, I've found another way to update the warp drive and warp coil stats: Re-root the ship to your cockpit, then pick up the entire ship from its neck, and put it back down again. This seems to make the upgraded stats (warp capacity, lower minimum warp altitude) take effect without having to save and reload the entire vessel.

Edited by Uncommonality

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good in the SPH but in flight, under atmosphere... I'm really not feeling it. (Using the stock shiny shader. I could swear there were parameters that would allow for what I want: crisp yet very faint reflections... not this blurry super-gloss look. Maybe they're not where I think I remember them to be.)

unknown.pngunknown.png

unknown.pngunknown.png

Spoiler

screenshot206.png

screenshot207.png

9 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Looking good in the SPH but in flight, under atmosphere... I'm really not feeling it. (Using the stock shiny shader. I could swear there were parameters that would allow for what I want: crisp yet very faint reflections... not this blurry super-gloss look. Maybe they're not where I think I remember them to be.)

unknown.pngunknown.png

unknown.pngunknown.png

Hide contents

screenshot206.png

screenshot207.png

I like the finish on the exterior of the jets… it doesn’t look as good on the nozzle. 

Also: KARE is Kerbal Atomic Rocketry Expansion, right?

• 2 weeks later...

I really love the idea of having parts for building small warpships. DS Priax warp necelles save the day when such things happen:

Spoiler

CTFDLXf.png

dy9LtdZ.png

When a "wealthy" space agency that crashes "reusable" heavy lifters for over 1 million funds with no serious budget impact suddenly discovers that it can't afford warp technology... the only (or the most fun) option is to strap a warp core and some coils to missile hardpoints of the lightest aerospace fighter we have and send a volunteer pilot for an adventure  over the Kerbol system to make some money on Dres/Jool/Moho/Eeloo survey contracts.
tDrvoU3.png
cHtPjn3.png

Handles like hell with this huge egg under the fuselage but still fun to fly.  And to crash this fragile equipment into the wall of Dres canyon... or Mohole... or Jool's athosphere... had to send several rescue missions to replace destroyed nacelles and warp core.

P.S. A 3000m facetumble is not exactly what we are paid for but look at her happy face

Spoiler

deYYlma.png

b6uO7nE.png

Actually the S1 core with S0 nacelles can FTL something heavier like this
kJE7lZ5.png

Or even this

Spoiler

q1bCZOv.png

X698sgV.png

• 1 month later...

I shall burst into this new year with... science parts!

Spoiler

It's already morning on the 1st. It's too late to burst in.

These experiment parts don't run on the stock module but on Wild Blue Tools. (Anyone who has used Station Science or WBI MOLE/LDEF parts will understand.)

The models won't be fancy, but the intention, experiment functions and the direction I'm going with this will very much make up for it.

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I shall burst into this new year with... science parts!

The models won't be fancy, but the intention, experiment functions and the direction I'm going with this will very much make up for it.

Somehow, I am sure this is gonna be *EPIC*!! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I must confess that my motivation for Sterling Engines has been fading. I've been quite saturated for the last few months in the themes of Colonization; Power Generation; Interstellar/Otherwise grand ship design, so my interest has been moving away. Sorry to all who have been expecting it and who have advised me on it. I may still produce some of the many engines within this plan, but please don't hold your breath...I'm much more likely to produce exotic late-game engines.

My interest is now mainly in electrics and base building, and I assure you, you will see equally amazing things coming from this direction as I promised with the Sterling Engines plan.

Revisiting Impulse Party, I've finally settled the look for, and begun working on the nav dishes. These are Deus Ex Machina. They are much-needed interstellar class antenna, and a branch evolution to my old mod Thor Tech's "Shieldnir." As thermal control devices, they will produce a generously large spherical (or hemispherical) translucent solid which should greatly add to the life expectancy of Sun-diving ships, but will punish your power supply during transmit, shield charge-up and while under thermal stress. They will not share their ablative power with most parts (whereas Thor Tech patches an ablator module into every part).

Spoiler

Unfortunately, it would seem that these shields will be useless against shock heating for trans-atmospheric vehicles as my own earlier testing reveals that KSP's heatshield mechanics really don't work as expected-- heatshields rely entirely on their stopping power via drag, and it should be well known that occlusion of parts behind parts for sheat shielding is finnicky and unreliable.

Q4kOaBI.png

The odd bulkhead profile is nearly Mk1 size but also a downscaled B9 HX profile (HX0) and influenced by Pathfinder class (Star Trek Online) nav deflector. Its purpose for building Intrepid class (Star Trek Voyager) impulse assemblies. With these and other undersized-HX0 parts to complete the Intrepid class profile I'd like to call Impulse Party fully release ready.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

34 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I must confess that my motivation for Sterling Engines has been fading...

Thanks for letting us know. It's better to know that it won't be showing up, than falsely hope for something that isn't being worked on.

As for base building, that's a fun part of KSP, too. Looking forward to it. I wonder whether it will be a complete set of standalone parts, interchangeable with SSPX or KPBS, or something else entirely. Surprises are nice.

The nav dishes are basically done. They still need some tuning and troubleshooting.

Shields_pre0005.png

screenshot225.pngscreenshot226.pngscreenshot230.png

Testing the heatshield capacity. (50m hemisphere projection) Currently, I have no good news about this...only that the shared ablation feature works and that protects the cockpit and nose cone.

• 3 weeks later...

Showroom pic. 2.5m racks; 0.8m boxes.

Upper row boxes are supplemental, lower row are the experiments. The boxes will be stackable on all sides (for more convenience) except the front. Some boxes will carry multiple of their experiment, and each instance will only work in a given altitude range (up to 5 ranges) making for a lot more opportunities to gain science. These experiments will also only work while landed or moving... underwater!

This is Sea Quest Science! Adding purpose to ocean biomes and submersibles!

JQVwjCP.png

Edited by JadeOfMaar

3 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Showroom pic. 2.5m racks; 0.8m boxes.

Upper row boxes are supplemental, lower row are the experiments. The boxes will be stackable on all sides (for more convenience) except the front. Some boxes will carry multiple of their experiment, and each instance will only work in a given altitude range (up to 5 ranges) making for a lot more opportunities to gain science. These experiments will also only work while landed or moving... underwater!

This is Sea Quest Science! Adding purpose to ocean biomes and submersibles!

JQVwjCP.png

After the downloading your KARE PackageTM, I can't wait to see that this mod has to offer!

15 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Concept image: The boxes cannot fill a 1.875m profile, though. They overflow.

Large hydro-dynamic "doors" to cover them, such as you have on the lower portion next to the kkerbal? :P vOv

If doors would be too cumbersome to cover two boxes, maybe instead of 4x rack, rotate the node for the box 90°, and just go with a 2x rack? vOv

I'm gussing the box is 1m square?... have a 1.25m rack for 1x box, 1.875m rack for 2x boxes, and the 5x for 2.5m..?? Seems a little better balanced, than just one box difference between the 1.875 & 2.5?

Maybe have the 1.875m have a slightly larger/greater Lab Time/battery capacity/core functionality, than the 2.5m, to help balance the pros/cons of 1.875 vs 2.5m racks? vOv

Edited by Stone Blue

I don't think there really are any anymore, but I did just discover SunkWorks the other day and that kerbal diving suit is just amazing. 

I think Buffalo and Feline Utility Rovers both have some water engines and you can make some subs with them.  And there is always RoverDudes sub pack, which I think is rolled into one of his other mods now.