Duplicate Tech Tree entries after moving a Part

So I'm wanting to move some parts around the Tech Tree in one of my mods, but this means that for existing save-games, those parts will end up in the tech tree multiple times (in the original position and in the new position). Not entirely sure why Squad decided to save the tech tree as part of the save game, but anyway...

Does anybody know of a way to "clean" an existing save game to reflect the updated tech tree (without manually editing it)?

36 minutes ago, micha said:

Does anybody know of a way to "clean" an existing save game to reflect the updated tech tree (without manually editing it)?

I was about to say that the save file needs to be changed.

What I did was to create a different save, cheat enough science and then research the same nodes, and finally just copied the tech tree from the new save and replaced the one in my main save. You just need to save the science value which is stored at the top of that section. It is a section called (I think) ResearchAndDevelopmentScenario

31 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

What I did was to create a different save, ...

Well, sure, that works for testing. But not for the users of the mod...  I either have to ask them to start a new save, or run a script to clean up their save after they upgrade.  Going to get a lot of support issues if I can't provide an automatic way of doing it.

Edited by micha

37 minutes ago, micha said:

Well, sure, that works for testing. But not for the users of the mod...  I either have to ask them to start a new save, or run a script to clean up their save after they upgrade.  Going to get a lot of support issues if I can't provide an automatic way of doing it.

For Linux I could write a simple script to do it very quickly, but not for most users of Windows

1 hour ago, micha said:

Not entirely sure why Squad decided to save the tech tree as part of the save game, but anyway...

Maybe to prevent parts from disappearing after they've been researched?

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

For Linux I could write a simple script to do it very quickly, but not for most users of Windows

That would run automatically as part of a CKAN update?  That's actually something which would be nice to have - pre/post scripts when installing/updating mods.

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Maybe to prevent parts from disappearing after they've been researched?

Possibly. Or parts moving from a researched node to an unresearched node. Could potentially cause all sorts of issues.  Hmm, I didn't Squad move some parts around at some point? I wonder how they handled this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.