I just lost 5+ hours of gameplay by shutting game with task manager, how to avoid possible losses like that?

Hello. So, I quicksaved game and used task manager to shut down game as it takes less time and I was in hurry. When today I came to play KSP again, I pressed "load saved" option and in red text it said that I can't open game. I know if you leave game "normaly" it says "are you sure? Game will be saved" or something like that.

Now, in rage I delited whole save, which I regret as there might be chance to save game via files.

But I won't do it again. But...

My PC doesn't run KSP well. It will "not respond", screen will go white literaly when I enter VAB. But game generaly does run well. I have decent FPS. So, what if one of those regular "not respondings" realy kills my game? How to avoid it killing my save? Is there way to save game (like quicksave but on main menu, like multiple, independent games?

Edited by Code-Beta1234

There is something you can do.  The game automatically backs up your game periodically.  Inside the save's folder, there's another folder called Backup, which saves the last 5 auto backups.  You can copy any of these to the parent folder, and then load that game from the Load Game function in the game.  Or, you can name it persistent.sfs and the game will load it automatically when you open that save in the game.

How did you delete it?  From inside the game or did you delete the folder manually?  If you did it manually, it may still be in your Trash.

4 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

There is something you can do.  The game automatically backs up your game periodically.  Inside the save's folder, there's another folder called Backup, which saves the last 5 auto backups.  You can copy any of these to the parent folder, and then load that game from the Load Game function in the game.  Or, you can name it persistent.sfs and the game will load it automatically when you open that save in the game.

How did you delete it?  From inside the game or did you delete the folder manually?  If you did it manually, it may still be in your Trash.

I did delite it ingame. And I am GOG player, so it might be diffirent form steam one, which most players use. Is there any video tutorials? And also, how to avoid doing that generaly. I don't want to mess up with files? Is it possible to make independent save (not quicksave). I saw someone talking about it on Reddit.

Edited by Code-Beta1234

1 hour ago, Code-Beta1234 said:

I did delite it ingame. And I am GOG player, so it might be diffirent form steam one, which most players use. Is there any video tutorials? And also, how to avoid doing that generaly. I don't want to mess up with files?

I am also a GoG player, but really there's no difference between the GoG / Steam / KSP store versions.  They all behave the same.

Messing with the files manually isn't difficult, but I understand how some people can be reluctant.  I don't remember where the GoG default directory is on Windows, but if you go in there, open the <Kerbal Space Program folder>, then <game>, then <saves>, you'll see a folder for each of your game saves.  If you open the folder for your save, you'll see a <Backup> folder, <Ships>, <Subassemblies>, and a mess of files that end in a .sfs file extension.  The sfs files are the saves themselves.  persistent.sfs is the auto save, which the game will load when you start it.  By hitting ESC in-game, and choosing Load Game, you can load any of these games and it'll put you back to the state you were in when you created the save.  Only persistent.sfs is auto-updated by KSP.  In <Backups> are the automatic backups.  The file names have a timestamp in them, so you can easily see when they were made.  Just move those out of the <Backup> folder and put them alongside the other .sfs files, and you can load them from in the game, too.

1 hour ago, Code-Beta1234 said:

Is it possible to make independent save (not quicksave). I saw someone talking about it on Reddit.

Yup.  Just hit ESC in game and click on Save Game.  It'll ask you to type in the name of the save. This will then go into the folder alongside the other .sfs files as whateveryounamedit.sfs.

A couple of extra tips: You can press Alt-F5 to make a named quicksave, which you can load with Alt-F9.

Even better, there's a modlet called "Dated Quicksaves" which creates a copy of the quicksave you just made (F5 to make a quicksave, hold F9 to load it BTW) and adds the game date to the name, so you can go back to older quicksaves (again, Alt-F9) if the need arises

In the case where you can't load your game at all because it was somehow corrupted, you should be able to rename any save to "persistent.sfs" and it should load

On 6/10/2020 at 7:49 PM, Geonovast said:

I am also a GoG player, but really there's no difference between the GoG / Steam / KSP store versions.  They all behave the same.

Messing with the files manually isn't difficult, but I understand how some people can be reluctant.  I don't remember where the GoG default directory is on Windows, but if you go in there, open the <Kerbal Space Program folder>, then <game>, then <saves>, you'll see a folder for each of your game saves.  If you open the folder for your save, you'll see a <Backup> folder, <Ships>, <Subassemblies>, and a mess of files that end in a .sfs file extension.  The sfs files are the saves themselves.  persistent.sfs is the auto save, which the game will load when you start it.  By hitting ESC in-game, and choosing Load Game, you can load any of these games and it'll put you back to the state you were in when you created the save.  Only persistent.sfs is auto-updated by KSP.  In <Backups> are the automatic backups.  The file names have a timestamp in them, so you can easily see when they were made.  Just move those out of the <Backup> folder and put them alongside the other .sfs files, and you can load them from in the game, too.

Yup.  Just hit ESC in game and click on Save Game.  It'll ask you to type in the name of the save. This will then go into the folder alongside the other .sfs files as whateveryounamedit.sfs.

There is no such file in my save folder

On a side note, the last time I had KSP installed before now (~3 years ago) I had a lot of the same performance issues you did.

I noticed that any time the game is loading and the cursor switches from arrow to the spinning loading icon, if you click the mouse at all, in any way, it will freeze & crash. DO NOT click your mouse while it's loading. Be patient and it will load. I got into the habit of taking my hand off my mouse altogether to avoid this as my fingers are heavy and would accidentally click just by resting them on the mouse and poof, game go boom.
Having a lotta mods also will cause this huge slowdown too, for what it's worth.

As far as your main issue goes, I can't be of assistance in getting ur game back but it's very likely you killed the game while it was writing the save file which could have easily corrupted it, which is why you shouldn't force kill the game but quit. At least to the main menu so your save it properly written.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.