KSP Loading... Preview: New ESA Parts

St4rdust

How about an actual EAP, as opposed to a rather basic Kickback reskin? Really, I could replicate that one with ten mikes in GIMP, and the only things I can do are applying filters and copypasting stuff. Whatever happened to "never enough boosters"? Actual new stuff looks reasonably nice, so it's not like it can't be done...

At least the tank variants won't give ReStock people too much grief, they already have a metal one.

Flag decals are cool, magnetometer is cool, new textures are cool for those not using ReStock, MTM is meh, but I would really like some new SRBs, as the Kickbacks are not really correctly proportioned. I really hope that the mainsail revamp isn't going to be our version of the Vulcain.

1 hour ago, Jebediah Kerman Jr. said:

While this is cool and all, I simply don't see the point in adding the "MTM" stage. KSP is about designing things yourself, not snapping a few parts together in the correct way to create a predetermined craft.

I don’t think it’s quite as limited as that. Sure you can use it that way, but I can easily see people getting a little more creative than that - after all, some thought the new Mk3 space plane parts were a cookie-cutter way to make a space shuttle and nothing else when they first showed up. There will probably be a few good uses other than “stand-alone probe bus.”

Also decals are awesome, metal tanks are neat, but I’m still not sure I’m a fan of using the kickback SRBs to approximate the Ariane 5 boosters. I’m definitely not a fan of the Mainsail as Vulcain thing, but we’ve had a thread about that already (KSP loading preview of the Mainsail revamp.)

Edited by RyanRising
Added actual discussion of the OP

2 hours ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

Flag decals are cool, magnetometer is cool, new textures are cool for those not using ReStock, MTM is meh, but I would really like some new SRBs, as the Kickbacks are not really correctly proportioned. I really hope that the mainsail revamp isn't going to be our version of the Vulcain.

For those that missed it, here's an explanation by Maxsimal on why the proportions aren't quite right:

First - we choose the 2.5m size because we didn't want to make the Bepi/Rosetta spacecraft too small relative to this craft and had in mind what sizes we wanted for those.  Also, 2:1 on the diameter for the real craft vs the KSP version lines up well with some of our other Kerbalized craft.  For instance, the Acapello, our Saturn V-like craft, is a 5m diameter core while the real one is a 10.1m core.

With that chosen, the SRBs we'd use was pretty obvious, so we chosen the Kickbacks for those - though yes, they're slimmer than the real Ariane 5's SRBs in relation, they'd have to be 1.4m to match perfectly - but we  don't want to create odd-diameter parts.  And as you already noted, we had updated the mainsail to be more like a Vulcain, both as a cool visual update and with this in mind - who doesn't like dual exhaust pipes after all?

3 hours ago, Jebediah Kerman Jr. said:

While this is cool and all, I simply don't see the point in adding the "MTM" stage. KSP is about designing things yourself, not snapping a few parts together in the correct way to create a predetermined craft.

I second the old school LEGO approach. Though I’m a crappy builder, I’ve been longing for not-round parts to snap together, set contents (fuel/mono prop/guidance/storage/experiment cubby), and send off. The Making History help a lot, but the angled ones don’t mirror properly, and they feel like a sin when I’m trying to optimize mass. 

(For example. Think Rovemate, but only a structural shell like a PC case, where you slot in what you want)

On another note: please don’t listen to me. I mainly just need someone to kick me out of the SPH and VAB onto the launchpad. :D 

I really wished we would have new panels. Deployable panels now are not very equally spaced in size :(. And Rosetta and Bepicolombo have interesting panels not similar to stock.

Its good that we don't get new engines and tanks, there are a lot already. New command module is too specific, but okay. New and realistic experiment is cool. But maybe there is still time to add panels? Or at least add them as fix a bit later?

BOOMS! PROBE CORES! DECALS! DECALSDECALSDECALSYES!

2 minutes ago, desert said:

I really wished we would have new panels. Deployable panels now are not very equally spaced in size :(. And Rosetta and Bepicolombo have interesting panels not similar to stock.

Its good that we don't get new engines and tanks, there are a lot already. New command module is too specific, but okay. New and realistic experiment is cool. But maybe there is still time to add panels? Or at least add them as fix a bit later?

Yes I am disappointed abt the panels and specific probe. That’s exactly what I didn’t want.

COMETS THO!!! I am happy that it’s still a “Kerbalized” approach but...

cmon. Those probes are the opposite of what I wanted. Add some modular parts. For the cultured people, it feels like Aperture suddenly added a wall attached to the mine walls as part of a test chamber. Like cmon. CMON!

4 hours ago, Jebediah Kerman Jr. said:

exactly. That’s gonna be a nightmare to incorporate into original craft. I might make a mission idea in Challenges and Mission Ideas just to challenge someone to do that.

again, opposite of what I wanted

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.