Part Snapping broken

Hi, Has anyone come across this before...?

49992542098_e447dd0c7d_k.jpgKSP by James Price, on Flickr

(hopefully that link works)

Its happened on a few of my vehicles on load up they appear fine and then when it sort of jumps into life (assuming when the physics load) they stagger like this, or a fuel tank will go off kilter or even worse an engine will which completely ruins missions.

Any Ideas?

Edited by Jaff

I also had this bug in KSP 1.7
This small fuel space station with lots of docked craft often bugged out during rendez-vous. It even seemed to be shifted worse when it loaded in at higher relative velocity to my current craft.
Eventually I fixed it by launching the station again, cheat it into orbit the same orbit as the station that bugges out on loading (alt - f12 for debug/ cheat menu). The new craft didn't have the bug. In my head-canon the kerbals needed to do a software update to the station.

R5fRGm6.png

Edited by kedrednael

5 minutes ago, kedrednael said:

I also had this bug in KSP 1.7
This small fuel space station with lots of docked craft often bugged out during rendez-vous. It even seemed to be shifted worse when it loaded in at higher relative velocity to my current craft.
Eventually I fixed it by launching the station again, cheat it into orbit the same orbit as the station that bugges out on loading (alt - f12 for debug/ cheat menu). The new craft didn't have the bug. In my head-canon the kerbals needed to do a software update to the station.

WOW! i thought i had it bad lol.

this is 1.8.1 so not fixed if its a core game issue.

I really cant be dealing with the hassle of adding and removing crafts when they bug out like this, its a lot of software updates lol

There are some NullReferenceExceptions in the log that might point to a problem with autostruts:

Spoiler

[EXC 19:49:30.155] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	PartJoint.SetupJoint (UnityEngine.Vector3 jointPos, UnityEngine.Vector3 jointOrt, UnityEngine.Vector3 jointOrt2, System.Int32 size, AttachNode nodeToParent, AttachNode nodeFromParent) (at <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0)
	PartJoint.create (Part child, Part parent, UnityEngine.Transform nodeSpace, UnityEngine.Vector3 nodePos, UnityEngine.Vector3 nodeOrt, UnityEngine.Vector3 nodeOrt2, System.Int32 nodeSize, AttachModes mode, System.Boolean rigid, AttachNode nodeToParent, AttachNode nodeFromParent) (at <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0)
	PartJoint.Create (Part owner, Part parent, AttachNode nodeToParent, AttachNode nodeFromParent, AttachModes mode) (at <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0)
	Part.SecureAutoStrut (Part anchor, AttachNode nodeToParent, AttachNode nodeFromParent, System.Boolean srfAttached) (at <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0)
	Part+<SecureAutoStruts>d__786.MoveNext () (at <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0)
	UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at <5aeafee3fea24f37abd1315553f2cfa6>:0)
	UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

I don't see any obviously suspicious mods in the list. The reliability features of some mods should probably not result in this error.

I'd try removing autostruts (editing the save file, not loading the craft), first.

Edited by HansAcker

On 6/24/2020 at 6:20 PM, HansAcker said:

There are some NullReferenceExceptions in the log that might point to a problem with autostruts:

Hide contents

[EXC 19:49:30.155] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	PartJoint.SetupJoint (UnityEngine.Vector3 jointPos, UnityEngine.Vector3 jointOrt, UnityEngine.Vector3 jointOrt2, System.Int32 size, AttachNode nodeToParent, AttachNode nodeFromParent) (at <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0)
	PartJoint.create (Part child, Part parent, UnityEngine.Transform nodeSpace, UnityEngine.Vector3 nodePos, UnityEngine.Vector3 nodeOrt, UnityEngine.Vector3 nodeOrt2, System.Int32 nodeSize, AttachModes mode, System.Boolean rigid, AttachNode nodeToParent, AttachNode nodeFromParent) (at <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0)
	PartJoint.Create (Part owner, Part parent, AttachNode nodeToParent, AttachNode nodeFromParent, AttachModes mode) (at <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0)
	Part.SecureAutoStrut (Part anchor, AttachNode nodeToParent, AttachNode nodeFromParent, System.Boolean srfAttached) (at <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0)
	Part+<SecureAutoStruts>d__786.MoveNext () (at <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0)
	UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at <5aeafee3fea24f37abd1315553f2cfa6>:0)
	UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

I don't see any obviously suspicious mods in the list. The reliability features of some mods should probably not result in this error.

I'd try removing autostruts (editing the save file, not loading the craft), first.

ok thats a great start thanks,

when you say removing autostruts, do you mean turning them off in the crafts in the save file?

come to think of it the only other craft ive had an issue with has been autostrutted too. this one was a shuttle type so was autostrutted initially too

That worked a treat thank you HansAcker!!

went into the persistant game file and changed the words "forcedheavy" on anything related to the craft and autostrut to "Off" and it has fixed it.

Thanks again :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.