What is Your Favorite Planet to Orbit/Land on

Little Kerbonaut!

Hello, what is your favorite planet to orbit/land on you can pick as many as you want. My favorite planet to orbit is Jool because it has a lot of moons that when they are in the right position you can see a few of them at the same time. My favorite planet to land on is Duna because of it’s cool atmosphere. And I get a chance to use the robotic scanning arm.

I really like Duna. Second is Minmus, third is Laythe.

Duna's atmosphere is, like Mars's IRL, just thin enough to not be useful for aerocapture but thick enough to be a problem (using 200% reentry heating). Besides, its terrain is surprisingly sloped in most places so its hard to set down a conventional vertical-style lander.

Minmus is fun because of the low gravity and presence of lots of water (makes life support for colonies so much easier), as well as its proximity to Kerbin, meaning there is no need to wait for transfer windows (with a little bit of plane change Dv).

Laythe is great for its atmosphere, great views of Jool, and usefulness for colony building.

Honorable mention: OPM's Tekto. It's this lovely shade of pale green, and in terms of difficulty its just a little less hard than Eve.

I like Kerbin because it's so pretty from orbit and easy to land on.

I like Mun for the dramatic slopes and procedural craters.

I like Minmus because you can fairly easily orbit below the mountaintops. For a while :D

I like Gilly because it's just so fun to jump into orbit.

I like Ike for the dramatic views of Duna from it's surface. Always land on a limb on Ike, so you can see Duna on the horizon.

I like Dres for its asteroids. I landed one on Dres once and tried to drive it around. Didn't work all that well.

I like Laythe because it's a reason to bring jet engines into space.

I like Tylo for the challenge of it, coupled with it's ability to save - or cost - you so much dV in a Jool mission.

I like Vall for Vallhenge. I wish there was some meaning to it. Or I was smart enough to figure it out.

I like Bop for the Kraken lying on its surface. I rarely land anywhere else even though I don't have its location memorized.

I think that's about it. You DID say I could pick as many as I want.

I like the mun, because of it’s easter eggs. 

Minmus, looks pretty good. I play on an outdated version....on console....Minmus looks great.

But for a small challenge and something fun, duna is the one. 

(I’ve only been Eve and Duna for places outside of kerbins soi) I’ll get around though.

1. Pol. I don’t visit it much but I really like the sights and the chance of double Joolrise (Laythe, Jool, and Tylo).

2. Gilly! It’s a super underrated moon (not an asteroid) that needs love. Plus ION TRANSPORTATION ACROSS THE SURFACE WHAT THE FRICK

14 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Vall, for the scenery. 

p5efD.png

WHEN WAS THIS TAKEN? I see the old Structural Pylon I think and Jool looks wrong. The frick?????

12 hours ago, Dirkidirk said:

Tylo

a. UGLY

b. Annoyingly hard to land on.

c. UGLY

Earth (I use RSS). Once you reach low Earth orbit, you are halfway to anywhere in the Solar System (at least delta v wise). Also because it looks beautiful from orbit. And when you land, it means you're back home.

Minmus. So pretty, yet completely alien and otherworldly.  It's the first place you're likely to head to that's not based on the familiar earth solar system. You get that great view of the mun and kerbin - Seeing them orbit and spin from the other-side drives home how far you've come. Plus the land sparkles, and the mountains are softly shaped and strange. It's so mysterious.  The combination of these builds the sense of it being the first step into the truly unknown.

12 hours ago, Xavven said:

Tylo because it's difficult and you will still crash even after you think you've practiced it enough and have it down.

I actually never been to Tylo but I am going to Jool today and I might send something to it on the way.

1 minute ago, Little Kerbonaut! said:

I actually never been to Tylo but I am going to Jool today and I might send something to it on the way.

Jool is fun because you can send a probe down inside, aerocapture conveniently, and get Tylo assists to capture/escape. tylo isn’t worth it tho because it’s so ugly and uninteresting 

16 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

I like Vall for Vallhenge. I wish there was some meaning to it. Or I was smart enough to figure it out.

Search up Green Harvest by Matt Lowne. It’s great and will solve all your problems :)

For sure Jool is the best to orbit, due to the many moons (and especially Jool's and Laythe's atmosphere with EVE installed). Duna is my favorite to also land on due to it being the easiest planet to land on and having a cool atmosphere w/ EVE instaled.

14 hours ago, Xavven said:

Tylo because it's difficult and you will still crash even after you think you've practiced it enough and have it down.

Yeah, that sounds really familiar.  I thought I still had an old screenshot of one of my early Tylo "successes" - half a probe, with a few pieces still intact and the rest strewn across the Tylo landscape because it ran out of fuel something like 80m above the surface.  But it still had a probe core & battery, low power antenna, and at least one science experiment, so it was still a success. 

My favorite planet is probably Duna but my favorite destination is definitely Laythe, the spaceplane paradise.   I've only ever used spaceplanes for manned Laythe missions.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.