Has anyone had an accidental orbital collision between two vessels that were not supposed to be on rendezvous trajectories?

5 hours ago, Earthbound Spartan said:

Cause of mechjeb...

Yup, Me too.    Launch to rendezvous, and I had a Unplanned Extreme Docking attempt.    I was so impressed with the accuracy I wasn't even mad, revert to launch and all. 

Yes, and unfortunately, MechJeb was not the cause of it. I simply forgot the altitude of my space station and tossed up a communications satellite at the exact same altitude but perpendicular to the equatorial orbiting space station. That was back in .18 though. Only happened once.

6 hours ago, Fraktal said:

How the heck did you pull that off by accident?! :o That's, like, trillion to one chance! Scott Manley even did a video on it.

It's just the laws of nature at work. You can't make it happen, no matter how hard you try. But accidental... that's where Nature goes like "hold my beer and watch this"

Just now, adsii1970 said:

Yes, and unfortunately, MechJeb was not the cause of it. I simply forgot the altitude of my space station and tossed up a communications satellite at the exact same altitude but perpendicular to the equatorial orbiting space station. That was back in .18 though. Only happened once.

Exactly the same thing happened to me. It turned out that back then I was launching everything at 150 km altitude (just like now, but I´m not parking anything there), which surprisingly and ironically was the height of my orbital station.

I had a discarded rocket stage collide with a space station under construction once. I used to be careless with staging and would leave debris wherever. This one had settled into a mostly circular and equatorial LKO - you know, only the busiest space lane. These days I try to make sure that debris will burn up in atmo or collide with the surface. If I can't do that and it's not a throwaway save, I'll delete it from the tracking station (I know, I know).

Yes.

I was orbiting Kerbin while taking care of my own business when that piece of rock that calls itself Mün, completly drunk, crossed my way came from nowhere and blowed everything.

And it ran away as nothing had happened.

Humpf. :/

Edited by Lisias
tyops. as usulla.

6 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

Over 7 years of playing and this has never happened to me once. I've not even had a close call.

Granted, I'm a stickler for ditching debris so that probably helps - or hurts depending on your goal :D

It's also likely due to you having one altitude for initial LKO and different ones for persistent LKO objects.

13 hours ago, RoninFrog said:

I got within 260 m of another craft while burning for an Eeloo transfer.  I've never actually had a collision, though.

that’s still close my bruh. Like, you could do a rendezvous in like 5 minutes if you did the burn

On 6/12/2020 at 5:09 PM, Earthbound Spartan said:

During warp time, it collided with an LKO orbital station.

Are you sure? I don't think anything will collide during time warp....

In fact I know separate craft will pass through each other during even 5x time warp, and have strategically used this in the past for deploying payloads.

Edited by KerikBalm

I do have issues from time to time of craft, after undocking from a station in LKO then setting a manouver node in map view, throttling up and then the navball goes crazy.  Switch back to flight and find that I collided with the station.  

Lesson: even though parking orbit for everything in LKO is 80km, I should drop periapsis to 75km and place nodes for leaving LKO at the perapsis.  Then I'd always be ahead.  

Peace.

6 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

I do have issues from time to time of craft, after undocking from a station in LKO then setting a manouver node in map view, throttling up and then the navball goes crazy.  Switch back to flight and find that I collided with the station.

I like to orient my station docking ports on the normal or antinormal sides. It helps avoid this problem, and also reduces the relative motion while docking. If that's not possible, you need to be careful to move well away from the station before performing an orbital maneuver.

I agree.  However the other day I left a station in low Mün orbit from a south docking port.  Over the course of the orbit through to the manouver node I time wrapped in map view then cancelled time warp.   The ship had orbited inside the station off rails, then came on rails...

Hilarity ensued.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.