Attempts to make a 64k solar system a reality

Hello, 

I am looking for help from anyone with the necessary knowledge of software to help me make cubemaps out of files equal to or in excess of 65,536 x 32,768  resolution. I would like to find a program that would allow me to distort the geometry of an equirectangular scan (2:1 resolution similar to what stock ksp uses) into a cubemap. I have found software that can do the later, but not at the resolutions present.

DdmbbPA.png

Currently my plan is to export textures as separate color channels as seen above. This means that instead of 5-6GB exports I can get away with 1-2GB ones. From here I would like to convert their geometry, then recombine them and export them as DDS cube-faces. If anyone knows of any software capable of handling this task, please let me know. I believe my pc can handle it, but my knowledge is simply too limited with these sorts of things. But that is why I am reaching out to you people, as I expect there is a lot I do not know yet.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

-Luci

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.