Cinema 4D good for model creation?

Zerxal

I'm planning on getting into modding soon (ish) since I have a background in software development and am currently studying it. I receive access to many paid programs for free since I'm a student, one of them being Cinema 4D. I know it quite well, and from my current understanding most modders use Blender for their models in their mod.

I'd prefer to not have to learn another program for this. Is Cinema 4D alright for modeling KSP mod models?

I know of a few good KSP mod devs that use C4D... they seem to do ok with it. IIRC, tho, at least one of them may need to use a seperate program for UV mapping, due to not so great functionality in C4D for that? vOv

And lots of KSP modders use Blender, only because it *IS* free, and modding for KSP is only a hobby for most... sooo... kind of a natural fit for those who dont have access to better paid software. Tho, Blender is *bad*... Just ... clunky... :P  Biggest issue peeps seem to have with the steep learning curve is the UI.

If you *do* find C4D doesnt do it for you, and youre worried about learning Blender, there's a Blender fork called BforArtists that *is* functionally, Blender, under-the-hood...But it has a very different UI philosophy and offers a very different UI, that beginners may find easier to work with... vOv
It seems to be going for a moar "industry standard" UI.... ie Maya, C4D, etc... vOv

I've been using it for a couple months, with Taniwha's Blender plugin , with no issues, and that plugin has pretty much allowed me to bypass having to use Unity/KSP PartTools in my workflow, except for IVA's.

Edited by Stone Blue

26 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

I know of a few good KSP mod devs that use C4D... they seem to do ok with it. IIRC, tho, at least one of them may need to use a seperate program for UV mapping, due to not so great functionality in C4D for that? vOv

And lots of KSP modders use Blender, only because it *IS* free, and modding for KSP is only a hobby for most... sooo... kind of a natural fit for those who dont have access to better paid software. Tho, Blender is *bad*... Just ... clunky... :P  Biggest issue peeps seem to have with the steep learning curve is the UI.

If you *do* find C4D doesnt do it for you, and youre worried about learning Blender, there's a Blender fork called BforArtists that *is* functionally, Blender, under-the-hood...But it has a very different UI philosophy and offers a very different UI, that beginners may find easier to work with... vOv
It seems to be going for a moar "industry standard" UI.... ie Maya, C4D, etc... vOv

I've been using it for a couple months, with Taniwha's Blender plugin , with no issues, and that plugin has pretty much allowed me to bypass having to use Unity/KSP PartTools in my workflow, except for IVA's.

Yeah, I also get all of the Autodesk programs free and Unity as well for me. 

Worst case maybe I use Maya, I just really don’t want to have to learn another program. C4D took me long enough for other things and if I have to learn another modeling program it will just burn me out and I won’t do modding.

I’ve been using C4D ever since I started modding and I still use it today. The only downside I have with it is that it doesn’t do so well with UV unwrapping. I only use Maya to unwrap things. Although I heard that Blender gets the job done as well with unwrapping things with the recent updates!

39 minutes ago, damonvv said:

I’ve been using C4D ever since I started modding and I still use it today. The only downside I have with it is that it doesn’t do so well with UV unwrapping. I only use Maya to unwrap things. Although I heard that Blender gets the job done as well with unwrapping things with the recent updates!

Any good place you would recommend to start/learn modelling?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.