[1.7.1][1.8.1][1.9.1][1.10.1] Persistent Thrust Extended 1.7.5 (now with background persistent thrust)

FreeThinker

32 minutes ago, nubeees said:

I'm getting a bug where its triggering the 'propellant depleted' dropout when propellant is most certainly not depleted. Still trying to track down the exact cause but it seems to be related to having multiple persistent engines active during high time warp.

Could you be more specific. Were you using electric engines? How high was your trust, where and when did it happen?

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

Could you be more specific. Were you using electric engines? How high was your trust, where and when did it happen?

I was three of the near future propulsion plasma engines (takes electric charge and argon, I had a constant supply of electric using a fission reactor from near future electric), not certain if its modded engine-specific, but I don't think it is. As far as where it was, I hadn't left kerbin orbit yet.

After reducing the three engines down to one, I didn't seem to have any issues other than the one where dropping out of high timewarps instantaneously causes the ship to detonate gloriously.

Edited by nubeees

Version 1.2.2 for Kerbal Space Program 1.8.1-1.9.1

Released on 2020-06-16

• Added drop out of warp after pressing Z,X, Shift and Ctrl
  • Fixed issue where an underpowered electric engine would reduce fuel consumption during timewarp
Edited by FreeThinker

20 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

I'm having the same issue, it's something to do with electric engines having electricity as a propellant. Maybe because the electricity resource gets refilled while also being drained by the engines? If you use the Infinite Electricity option then everything behaves normally.

4 hours ago, frencrs said:

I'm having the same issue, it's something to do with electric engines having electricity as a propellant. Maybe because the electricity resource gets refilled while also being drained by the engines? If you use the Infinite Electricity option then everything behaves normally.

If you are using, multiple engines, you need to lower the throtle untill all engine recieve sufficient amount of energy

On 6/16/2020 at 7:27 AM, nubeees said:

I was three of the near future propulsion plasma engines (takes electric charge and argon, I had a constant supply of electric using a fission reactor from near future electric), not certain if its modded engine-specific, but I don't think it is. As far as where it was, I hadn't left kerbin orbit yet.

After reducing the three engines down to one, I didn't seem to have any issues other than the one where dropping out of high timewarps instantaneously causes the ship to detonate gloriously.

Could you retry with PT 1.3?

Thanks for continuing this mod!  FYI, updating via ckan to v1.2.1 (1.2.2 and 1.3.0 are not available in ckan yet) yields the following error:

CKAN.InvalidModuleFileKraken: PersistentThrust 1:1.2.1: C:\Users\...\tmp20B0.tmp has length 68700, should be 68703  [ellipses added]

So I'm stuck at 1.2.0 for the time being.  I imagine you'll get it all sorted at some point, no rush.  Meanwhile, keep up the good work!  This mod makes ion engines truly useful.  Thanks!

EDIT:  Nevermind!  v1.3.0 just showed up in ckan and installed just fine.

Edited by wreckreation

3 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Could you retry with PT 1.3?

Seems a lot more stable now with 1.3! I recreated the setup I was using before with the three plasma engines and it seemed to work just fine. :) 

One other bug- I've yet to figure out a way to make it reliably replicatable- which seems worthy of mentioning is an odd one which causes every part on a ship to suddenly overheat and usually explode. It seems to tend to happen either when switching spheres of influence, or when persistent rotation gets too aggressive and tears the ship away from the direction vector PT has it locked to. There's another one, where sometimes PT decides to not function entirely if your SAS is locked on target retrograde (it locks the ship correctly, but no acceleration is applied) but again, its really inconsistent.

I hope this is at least slightly helpful!

Edited by nubeees

18 hours ago, nubeees said:

One other bug- I've yet to figure out a way to make it reliably replicatable- which seems worthy of mentioning is an odd one which causes every part on a ship to suddenly overheat and usually explode. It seems to tend to happen either when switching spheres of influence, or when persistent rotation gets too aggressive and tears the ship away from the direction vector PT has it locked to. There's another one, where sometimes PT decides to not function entirely if your SAS is locked on target retrograde (it locks the ship correctly, but no acceleration is applied) but again, its really inconsistent.

PT doesn't do anything heat related, it only changes orbit, change ship heading when SAS locked and show exhaust effects durring timewarp. Everything which should have been in KSP to start with but isn't. Probably we see it in KSP 2.

On 6/13/2020 at 4:55 PM, hypervelocity said:

OK so after 5+ years playing KSP I'm now able to try out Ion engines! thank you @FreeThinker!

This mod functionality was part of KSPIE for several years but it didn't get the attention it deserves so I decided to create a stand alone version, compatible with SolverEngine/RO and in the proces  improve KSPIE implementation of persistent thrust

Edited by FreeThinker

thank you @FreeThinker, I know - I have had your mod installed in my KSP builds for years now - the thing is, being an RO player focused on realism, I never got far enough into the future to really use your mod, which BTW I believe it to be one of the most amazing, most complete and fantastic mods available for KSP - I believe I did thank you years ago in your thread, but let me do it again: congratulations on a job well done, I very much appreciate it!!!.

I believe the RO devs are talking about something coded "ROFuture" and I really don't understand what's standing in the way of integrating KSPIE to RO's/RP-1's future technologies' tech tree nodes. I sure would love to have a realistic playthrough with current technologies and evolve into futuristic but yet still science-based speculative technologies. 

Edited by hypervelocity

amazing mod! though it appears to have an issue with engines that have multiple modes, where one mode works fine with PT, but the other mode just doesnt work and just stops accelerating the ship.

this is the engine on epstein mode. persistent thrust doesnt work for it, it just stops accelerating the craft.

CX7c8RA.png

ECIb4fb.png

Persistent thrust does work with afterburn mode though

W5DGhm2.png

Edited by JcoolTheShipbuilder

36 minutes ago, 某事不过三兄 said:

Good, but my English is not good.

I need Chinese......

Then, how does it work? It sound like...I should use a specific engine ?

Well I already added english localization. If someone could provide chinese translation I will add it

On 6/20/2020 at 6:06 AM, JcoolTheShipbuilder said:

amazing mod! though it appears to have an issue with engines that have multiple modes, where one mode works fine with PT, but the other mode just doesnt work and just stops accelerating the ship.

yeah, MultiModeEngine support is missing atm. I have a WIP version with it, but I don't have the time to finish it and release an update for the moment. Just know that it's eventually coming, a few weeks at most. 
Before anyone asks, I'm co-authoring this mod with FreeThinker. He's done most of the work up to this point though, since I'm the middle of an exam session.

Version 1.4.2 for Kerbal Space Program 1.8.1-1.9.1

Released on 2020-06-24

• Compatible against KSP 1.8.1
  • Added separate processing of massless propellants( like ElectricCharge) during physics processing (while maintaining maximum isp)
  • Added support for Kerbalsim during physics processing

HRez4VD.png

Edited by FreeThinker