[1.7.1][1.8.1][1.9.1][1.10.1] Persistent Thrust Extended 1.7.5 (now with background persistent thrust)

FreeThinker

Version 1.7.0 for Kerbal Space Program 1.8.1 - 1.10.0

Released on 2020-07-15

• Compatible with KSP 1.8.1 - 1.10
  • Added offscreen background persistent thrust processing for basic autopilot modes (requires Kerbalsim)
  • Added configuration Persistent Thrust through KSP setting menu
Edited by FreeThinker

Version 1.7.2.1 for Kerbal Space Program 1.8.1 - 1.10.0

Released on 2020-07-21

• Added support for Target Mode during Kerbalism background processing
  • Added maneuverTolerance setting
  • Fixed potential issue with infinite burn projection when it shouldn't
  • Fixed issue of double fuel usage during realtime burns
  • Fixed MJ and other Δv readouts seeing 0 thrust
  • Fixed various errors that were thrown in the editor, sometimes preventing launch
Edited by FreeThinker

Version 1.7.3 for Kerbal Space Program 1.8.1 -1.10.0

Released on 2020-07-23

• Compatible with KSP 1.8.1 - 1.10
  • Added Configuration for default Persistent behavior setting
  • Improved CPU performance
  • Fixed throttle control during while unpacked
  • Fixed issue where maneuver node might cause it to travel in a random direction during background processing

The latest version of this mod seems to have issues with specific engines when running on 1.9.1 (it didn't happen in the previous version 1.7.2.1). Tested with engines from different mods and even stock, and it seems the issue is with engines that use ModuleEngines instead of ModuleEnginesFX. The issue manifests in two different ways, so I'll add two reports:

Spoiler

KSP: 1.9.1 Linux 64bit

Problem: When crafts with certain engines are built and launched from VAB or SPH, there is ArgumentOutOfRangeException log spam and severe game performance degradation. This only stops when the game is paused or the vessel carrying the affected parts is not loaded.

Mods installed:

ModuleManager v4.1.4.0

PersistentThrust v1.7.3.0

Reproduction steps:

Build a simple craft with a Mk1 pod and one of the affected engines, for example the stock Sepratron SRB, then launch. The issue is evident immediately on the launchpad.

Log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/exn8tvwze4bwlsg/Bug Report PersistentThrust Stock - Player.log?dl=0

Spoiler

KSP: 1.9.1 Linux 64bit

Problem: When crafts with certain engines are loaded from the KSC screen by clicking on the launchpad, there is "System.InvalidOperationException: Sequence contains no elements" log spam.

Mods installed:

ModuleManager v4.1.4.0

PersistentThrust v1.7.3.0

Reproduction steps:

From the KSC screen, click on the Launchpad and load a pre-built craft using the affected engines, for example the Kerbal X, then launch.

Log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/btr4tu55hxus51x/Bug Report PersistentThrust Stock Load - Player.log?dl=0

Here is a list of the affected engines from tested mods:

Spoiler

Mods that cause PersistentThrust to have issues
	Streamline Engines and Tanks: All but the DTE S-12
	Karbonite: all but KFD-100, KFD-200, KFD-300, KFD-500, KLF-125, KLF-250,
	BahaSP Retractable Engines: ILX-40, MJ-88, Critter Crawler, TRR-1, VTx-202
	RLA_Reborn: Aphid, Mist, Fog
	Kurrikane: Both engines.
	USI Sounding Rockets: All of it, aerospike and SRBs
	SpaceY: Ejectatron and all the separatron nose cones. And the two radial decouplers.
	USI Exploration Pack: Both DERP engines. The submarine engines are fine.
	Stock: Sepratron-1, Thumper, Shrimp, Mite, Terrier, Nerv, Reliant, Swivel, Thud, Skipper, Poodle, Mainsail, Hammer, Flea, Thoroughbred, Clydesdale, Toroidal Aerospike

Mods that don't
	Cryo Engines
	Kerbal Atomics
	Feline Utility Rovers
	Kerbal Planetary Base Systems
	Kerbal Reusability Expansion
	Mk2 Stockalike Expansion
	NearFuture Propulsion
	Stockalike Mining Extension

I hope I have included all the information needed!

hi @FreeThinker!

afraid i have a bug to report for KSP v1.10.1:

when installing from CKAN, no engines can produce thrust, because they think their fuel requirement isn't being met.

on windows 10, no other mods, fresh install, game files verified through steam.

steps to reproduce: install persistent thrust from CKAN (including the module manager as a dependency), launch a game, launch a vessel, crash into the ground.

i can send you logs, if you need them, but i didn't actually get an error in-game. please tell me which logs you need. i'm not used to reporting bugs for ksp!

cheers!

32 minutes ago, 9bananas said:

hi @FreeThinker!

afraid i have a bug to report for KSP v1.10.1:

when installing from CKAN, no engines can produce thrust, because they think their fuel requirement isn't being met.

on windows 10, no other mods, fresh install, game files verified through steam.

steps to reproduce: install persistent thrust from CKAN (including the module manager as a dependency), launch a game, launch a vessel, crash into the ground.

i can send you logs, if you need them, but i didn't actually get an error in-game. please tell me which logs you need. i'm not used to reporting bugs for ksp!

cheers!

if you go back to KSP 1.10.0, does the problem persist?

I tested myself and it apears to work fine 1.10.1. So it has to be something else. Could you please upload a log?

Edited by FreeThinker

1 hour ago, TaintedLion said:

I tried using this with Near Future's ion engines and nuclear reactors, it keeps on stopping the timewarp saying propellant is depleted when it's not.

Exactly what reactor and engine are you using? Could you show me a picture? The logs would also be usefull

@TaintedLionthat's actually exactly what's happening in my game also: engines think they don't have fuel, even when they're fully fueled/SRBs, so it's not crossfeed or anything either.

@FreeThinker: sure, here are some logs and my save file! Google Drive Link

i had no issue in 1.10.0, only happened after one of the recent updates (either the mod, or KSP itself).

it literally cannot be anything else. see screenshots : there's absolutely nothing else installed, and vanilla doesn't have this issue. if i delete persistent thrust, everything goes back to normal instantly.

edit: i noticed you changed something about how you address engines in one of the recent updates, right? well, since this issue is in essence "engines don't get fuel", maybe it's related? just a wild guess, don't really know much about Unity...

edit2: it also seems to affect every engine, regardless of fuel type, or engine type, including jet engines, etc. seems like a problem in the patching process somewhere!

Edited by 9bananas

2 hours ago, 9bananas said:

@TaintedLionthat's actually exactly what's happening in my game also: engines think they don't have fuel, even when they're fully fueled/SRBs, so it's not crossfeed or anything either.

@FreeThinker: sure, here are some logs and my save file! Google Drive Link

i had no issue in 1.10.0, only happened after one of the recent updates (either the mod, or KSP itself).

it literally cannot be anything else. see screenshots : there's absolutely nothing else installed, and vanilla doesn't have this issue. if i delete persistent thrust, everything goes back to normal instantly.

edit: i noticed you changed something about how you address engines in one of the recent updates, right? well, since this issue is in essence "engines don't get fuel", maybe it's related? just a wild guess, don't really know much about Unity...

edit2: it also seems to affect every engine, regardless of fuel type, or engine type, including jet engines, etc. seems like a problem in the patching process somewhere!

Try the following: Install it manualy and  could you make a screen dump of the test vessel in the VAB?

4 hours ago, 9bananas said:

sure, here are some logs and my save file! Google Drive Link

I noticed the following in the log file

Win32NT 7FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF  Args: KSP_x64.exe -single-instance, ckan install Foo=1.6.1

what are these parameters for?

Also at the start

[ERR 19:45:53.378] <color=orange><b>[KSPSteamController]:</b> Failed to initialize Steam API!</color>

I wonder if this has any effect

Edited by FreeThinker

19 hours ago, 9bananas said:

Edit: The problem seems to be related to the patched conics which isn't available early carreer, I fixed it in 1.7.5

Edited by FreeThinker

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

Version 1.7.5 for Kerbal Space Program 1.8.1 - 1.10.1

Released on 2020-08-03

• Fixed Engine functionality in early career when patched conics isn't unlocked yet

nice work, I'll try it later!

i never would have guessed it had to do with patched conics!

how did you figure that one out? and what does persistent thrust need the patched conics for?

8 minutes ago, 9bananas said:

nice work, I'll try it later!

i never would have guessed it had to do with patched conics!

how did you figure that one out? and what does persistent thrust need the patched conics for?

It is used for an auto burn functionality which allows you to burn at a manouver node with low thrust engines or very heavy vessels. It allows you to maximize your deltaV with engines which require multiple burns

Edited by FreeThinker

Just now, FreeThinker said:

It is used for an auto burn functionality which allows you to burn at a manouver node with low thrust engine.

oh, right! that makes sense!

I'll test it out and report back in about 4-5h, have some stuff i need to finish around the house...

the newest version from this thread is working!

tested on a new career save, so no patched conics, and working as expected!

about your questions regarding the log:

Spoiler
18 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

I noticed the following in the log file

Win32NT 7FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF  Args: KSP_x64.exe -single-instance, ckan install Foo=1.6.1

what are these parameters for?

Also at the start

[ERR 19:45:53.378] <color=orange><b>[KSPSteamController]:</b> Failed to initialize Steam API!</color>

I wonder if this has any effect

this line:

is from CKAN. just the start-up parameters showing up in the log. guess they get logged when launching from CKAN!

this one:

...no idea. steams working fine. don't know where that error's coming from, but it doesn't seem to be causing issues.

thanks for the quick fix!^^

4 minutes ago, 9bananas said:

the newest version from this thread is working!

tested on a new career save, so no patched conics, and working as expected!

about your questions regarding the log:

Reveal hidden contents

this line:

is from CKAN. just the start-up parameters showing up in the log. guess they get logged when launching from CKAN!

this one:

...no idea. steams working fine. don't know where that error's coming from, but it doesn't seem to be causing issues.

thanks for the quick fix!^^

Well thank you for reporting it. More people must have had the same problem but either couldn't connect the dots or were too lazy to bother. In my experience, less than 5% actualy reports a bug at all, so we need to be fortunat for any report

Edited by FreeThinker

2 hours ago, 9bananas said:

oh, i'm just glad to help!

...and that my game works again!

honestly, persistent thrust is pretty much a must-have mod for me! ion engines are painful when they need babysitting! :sticktongue:

Glad you like it. We have actually have a lot more ideas for this mod. Did you know it functions durring offscreen (when Kerbalsim is installed). This will allow you to do that hour long burn and do somethung usefull in the mean time. All you need to do is active and switch to another vessel or KTC , technically you can go further and actualy control your vessel offscreen. This would theoreticly allow you to control multiple vessels at the same time.

Edited by FreeThinker

57 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Glad you like it. We have actually have a lot more ideas for this mod. Did you know it functions durring offscreen (when Kerbalsim is installed). This will allow you to do that hour long burn and do somethung usefull in the mean time. All you need to do is active and switch to another vessel or KTC , technically you can go further and actualy control your vessel offscreen. This would theoreticly allow you to control multiple vessels at the same time.

that's really cool!

i haven't had the time to test out more advanced features yet: just came back to the game after ~1 year. so glad to see most mods i used to have still being maintained!

just started a new career mode, will try out the background feature when i build my jool relay network :D