[Min KSP 1.11] Mk-33: X-33-inspired parts for KSP!

Angelo Kerman

4 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Thanks! It’s getting there, I have another functional element to add to the strongback before I am ready to texture it.

For cargo handling, that is a trickier issue given the wide variety of different cargo types out there. I foresee the player docking to the strongback and then driving up a player-made crane of some sort to load the various payloads. I don’t want to force players down a particular path any more than necessary. Hence the reason that there will also be a launch platform for those who don’t want in-field reusability, but you will need to build your own ground support vehicles if you use the pad.

To get up the ramp, you might notice that the landing gear is both powered and steerable. The Mk-33 can drive itself up the ramp. :) The idea is that you offload or dump remaining propellant after you land, drive over to the pad and dock with the strongback, load up new payload, rotate vertical, refuel, and launch. The real also X-33 had a retracting hangar for vehicle service and checkout but in KSP it would make it hard to load up new payloads...

With no mod requirements, refueling will require a tanker of some sort that the player builds but there will be locations on the pad to let you grab with the claw or dock with a docking port. If you use a mod like Kerbal Konstructs then you have the option of setting up a nearby fuel depot and purchasing propellants.

I think this would help, they make pretty nice service vehicles.

@Incarnation of Chaos mentioned awhile ago an adapter piece that would let you mount different engines. Tonight I finally cracked the Making History engine plate's node switcher design, and the aft tank now supports 4 attachment nodes (the default), 3 (giving you some extra space in the back), and 5 (which adds a couple of nodes where that extra space is). Here's one use:

c4s0Hwf.png

Given my success, I can now make an engine coupler shaped more or less like the aerospikes but with cutouts for 1.25m engines. You can fit 2 engines in the half-sized coupler, and up to 4 in the full-sized version. Not sure how a 2.5m adapter would look...

Anyway, I can get a TWR of 1.29 off the pad with standard payload, so that's pretty good.

Edited by Angel-125

11 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

@Incarnation of Chaos mentioned awhile ago an adapter piece that would let you mount different engines. Tonight I finally cracked the Making History engine plate's node switcher design, and the aft tank now supports 4 attachment nodes (the default), 3 (giving you some extra space in the back), and 5 (which adds a couple of nodes where that extra space is). Here's one use:

c4s0Hwf.png

Given my success, I can now make an engine coupler shaped more or less like the aerospikes but with cutouts for 1.25m engines. You can fit 2 engines in the half-sized coupler, and up to 4 in the full-sized version. Not sure how a 2.5m adapter would look...

Anyway, I can get a TWR of 1.29 off the pad with standard payload, so that's pretty good.

Wow; I didn't even think you were working on anything like that after I didn't get a reply. You're awesome dude, thanks!

Twin and quad engine couplers:

PKrf8WV.png

89Hhox7.png

kh3oReo.png

New pre-release is available:

- Added Mk-33 Twin Engine Coupler
- Added Mk-33 Quad Engine Coupler
- WIP Added Mk-33 Strongback. This is functional only, NOT DONE YET!
- WIP Added MK-33 Launchpad. This is functional only, NOT DONE YET!

Edited by Angel-125

New Size 1p5 and Size 2 engine couplers:

FtPNOJV.png

Also, updated the DockRotate ModuleManager patch so that you rotate the strongback from the strongback part instead of the launchpad. Finally, I combined the half-sized and full-sized aero cones into a single part.

At this point the mechanics are all worked out and it's just a matter of texturing the strongback and finishing up the launchpad, platform, tower, and crew access arms.

Hopefully this means we're in the home stretch! :)

Anyway, here is the latest update.

Edited by Angel-125

58 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

New Size 1p5 and Size 2 engine couplers:

FtPNOJV.png

I've said it before and I'll say it again: despite not being designed in a stockalike style, this mod still fits pretty well with stock parts!

Great job again Angel-125, I can't wait to see this mod fully released :D

1 minute ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: despite not being designed in a stockalike style, this mod still fits pretty well with stock parts!

Great job again Angel-125, I can't wait to see this mod fully released :D

Thanks! :)It's textured to Restock/Restock+ style. :) I can't wait for it to be done either, I've been taking nights and weekends since late last year...

Bonus update! The latest pre-release finally gets the cryo fuels patch sorted out.

There are now two files in the Extras folder: Mk33CryoEnginesCRP.txt, and Mk33CryoEnginesClassicStock.txt. If you have @Nertea's CryoTanks mod installed, and you use my Classic Stock Resources mod, then rename the Mk33CryoEnginesClassicStock.txt to use the .cfg extension. Similarly, if you use Community Resource Pack, then rename the Mk33CryoEnginesCRP.txt file to have a .cfg extension. These files let you use cryo fuels (Propellium/Oxidizer in Classic Stock, or LH2/Oxidizer in CRP) with the Mk-33.

You'll also find updated craft files in the Ships/SPH folder. One for LiquidFuel/Oxidizer, one for Classic Stock, and one for CRP.

17 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Launchpad test drive:

rZvD4qU.png

If you don't have Kerbal Konstructs to put down a custom pad with, then you can attach wheels to decouplers and drive the pad to your desired launch site, then decouple the wheels. I also textured the strongback today...

Question, the Mk-33 Launchpad should fit snugly on the KSC Extended 39 B and 39 A pads, right?

16 minutes ago, Misguided_Kerbal said:

Question, the Mk-33 Launchpad should fit snugly on the KSC Extended 39 B and 39 A pads, right?

No, it will overhang. The launchpad is nearly 110m long. I am also planning on a launch platform similar to the Mobile Launch Platform that was used for the Shuttle and Saturn V. That will fit on the stock pad.

1 minute ago, Angel-125 said:

No, it will overhang. The launchpad is nearly 110m long. I am also planning on a launch platform similar to the Mobile Launch Platform that was used for the Shuttle and Saturn V. That will fit on the stock pad.

So then, the pad is designed for the runway?

7 minutes ago, Misguided_Kerbal said:

So then, the pad is designed for the runway?

No, the launchpad is designed for somewhere on KSC grounds. If you don’t have Kerbal Konstructs then you drive the pad off the runway and park it somewhere. If you do have Kerbal Konstructs then you can use a static and turn it into a spawn point for vessels and set the pad there...

2 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

No, the launchpad is designed for somewhere on KSC grounds. If you don’t have Kerbal Konstructs then you drive the pad off the runway and park it somewhere. If you do have Kerbal Konstructs then you can use a static and turn it into a spawn point for vessels and set the pad there...

Ohhh.... I get it! 

Spoiler

Technically that's a fire hazard, but it's not like kerbals care about grass fires :P 

50 minutes ago, Misguided_Kerbal said:

Ohhh.... I get it! 

Hide contents

Technically that's a fire hazard, but it's not like kerbals care about grass fires :P 

Ideally, you place the pad on a Kerbal Konstructs static, but I'm anticipating that there will be players who don't have that installed.

1 minute ago, Angel-125 said:

Ideally, you place the pad on a Kerbal Konstructs static, but I'm anticipating that there will be players who don't have that installed.

Yep. Maybe you could make a custom Static? It could be an optional package, if you want it then just drag it into your gamedata.