[Min KSP 1.11] Mk-33: X-33-inspired parts for KSP!

Angelo Kerman

At long last, the Mk-33 1.0 release is here!

This has been ten plus months in the making. I'll reiterate from the OP: Special Thanks to: @benjee10, @cineboxandrew, @JadeOfMaar, @Nertea, @Porkjet, @damon, @Zorg, @Jay The Amazing Toaster and many others for their advice, feedback, inspiration, and tweaks. And thanks to all of you for taking a look! :)

Okay, it's been a while after release, and still no screenshots and congratulations, but whatever, here you go.

screenshot0.png

Such a majestic silhouette! The original 4 test pilots rove over to the launchpad for a suborbital flight test of the prototype Mk-33.
screenshot1.png
screenshot2.png

Mandatory elevator and access arm photo ops.
screenshot3.png

The crew settle into their seats, and power on the systems. Unlike the Kane capsule and KSTS orbiter, the Mk-33 is designed to be flown by nearly anyone, making rapid flights possible.
screenshot4.png

The crew access arms retract, leaving plenty of space for the wings at liftoff.
screenshot5.png

Engine start!
screenshot6.png

The Mk-33 makes a very sharp gravity turn, as it's only going to Welcome Back Island.
screenshot8.png

Using RCS to hold attitude, it falls on a ballistic arc back towards the thick of the atmosphere.
screenshot10.png

screenshot11.png

Jets on as it turns to the approach vector towards Welcome Back Airfield.
screenshot12.png

Jeb can't have the automated landing system have all the glory, so he switches into manual control and guides the glider down very slowly.
screenshot13.png

Dammit Jeb!

Edited by Clamp-o-Tron

Congrats on release, this is awesome! I'm not sure if it opens the wound that is the cancellation of Venturestar or if it allows for closure but it's a lot of fun to fly!

It seems like I have a lot of delta V even for an SSTO, is this scaled against stock fuel (eg 2.5x scale Kerbin) or balanced to stock Kerbin scale?

Can you include craft files in the release? I never feel like I get surface attachment parts exactly right

2 hours ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

Congrats on release, this is awesome! I'm not sure if it opens the wound that is the cancellation of Venturestar or if it allows for closure but it's a lot of fun to fly!

It seems like I have a lot of delta V even for an SSTO, is this scaled against stock fuel (eg 2.5x scale Kerbin) or balanced to stock Kerbin scale?

Can you include craft files in the release? I never feel like I get surface attachment parts exactly right

Think it has been optimized for 2.5x.  Angel's recommendation for balancing in stock is empty the forward and aft tanks, but I took advantage of them to inefficiently get to orbit from the runway in stock scale as I haven't tried it yet from the tower yet :-)

The craft files are included in WildBlueIndustries/Mk-33/SampleCraft

1 hour ago, hemeac said:

Think it has been optimized for 2.5x.  Angel's recommendation for balancing in stock is empty the forward and aft tanks, but I took advantage of them to inefficiently get to orbit from the runway in stock scale as I haven't tried it yet from the tower yet :-)

The craft files are included in WildBlueIndustries/Mk-33/SampleCraft

I did, but I still had like 5500m/s of DV, I guess that leaves plenty for orbital manoeuvres.

Ah, and thanks. I was expecting a "Ships" folder in the root.

Edited by Z3R0_0NL1N3

@Z3R0_0NL1N3 Mk-33 is explicitly meant to SSTO in JNSQ so it easily balances well for 2.7x. Many top-quality mods easily balance for 2.7x as well. That's the scale that matches the best with stock part performance and real-ish proportions for your rockets before you have to start using SMURFF and FAR.

The sound of the engine is gold for ear and the texture are very detailed, it's a adventure to dock each time to my space station glad rcs are balanced.

Now if only i can found a mass driver rail, i can redo the arkbird resupply system of ace combat ( for peace purpose only :ph34r: Bd armory).

On 9/28/2020 at 10:02 PM, josselin2196 said:

The sound of the engine is gold for ear and the texture are very detailed, it's a adventure to dock each time to my space station glad rcs are balanced.

Now if only i can found a mass driver rail, i can redo the arkbird resupply system of ace combat ( for peace purpose only :ph34r: Bd armory).

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/41665-wip-mass-driver/

Like this one?

@Angel-125 Belated congrats on release. 

Three questions:
Are you planning to do a hydrolox version of the engines? The real X-33/Venture Star's engine ran on that. 

Could you add a special decoupler and attachment node to the belly of the Mid-Fuselage so we can make a belly to belly X-33/X-33? There's some concepts about a space shuttle launched by another space shuttle attached to the belly. I think the X-33 would benefit from this.

Could you add nodes to the wing and rear fuselage to make it easier to attach the wings?

Edited by GoldForest

17 hours ago, GoldForest said:

@Angel-125 Belated congrats on release. 

Three questions:
Are you planning to do a hydrolox version of the engines? The real X-33/Venture Star's engine ran on that. 

Could you add a special decoupler and attachment node to the belly of the Mid-Fuselage so we can make a belly to belly X-33/X-33? There's some concepts about a space shuttle launched by another space shuttle attached to the belly. I think the X-33 would benefit from this.

Could you add nodes to the wing and rear fuselage to make it easier to attach the wings?

Take a look at the Extras folder, it has a patch made for hydrolox.

I’ll look into it. Meanwhile you can use the stock radially node:

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/BZ-52_Radial_Attachment_Point

My understanding of flight control surfaces is that node attaching them messes with the symmetry and control. @JadeOfMaar knows about this better than I.

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

Take a look at the Extras folder, it has a patch made for hydrolox.

I’ll look into it. Meanwhile you can use the stock radially node:

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/BZ-52_Radial_Attachment_Point

My understanding of flight control surfaces is that node attaching them messes with the symmetry and control. @JadeOfMaar knows about this better than I.

I looked in the folder and didn't see a cfg patch. Unless you're talking about the .txt files.

Yeah, I've had to Jerry rig something up due to the parts not allowing surface placement. 

Well, SOCK uses attachment node surface controls, maybe talk to @benjee10 for help. But I was mainly just wanting the wings, not the control surfaces themselves, but noded control surfaces would be nice as well.

@GoldForest Wings and elevons that use stack nodes can't be placed in any kind of symmetry otherwise all steering input becomes roll. Benjee's wings are clearly not made to be placed in symmetry so they can get away with it. I learned this from my experiment with OPT wings. There's another spaceplane mod whose wings and elevons use stack nodes and it also manages, but those wings are composite pieces (left and right wing welded together) that attach inline, and its center of lift is in the fuselage, not in the span of the wings.

Hey, love this mod, and cant wait to use it. Having a problem though where the Aft fuel tank just doesn't exist in the game for some reason.
Is there anything that can be done to get it to exist? (noticed in the shared files that there was an MU file associated with it but not DDS image.)

Excellent Mod!    It seems to argue with the Physics range extender mod a little, when launching and on re-entry. It doesn't crash the game, or keep it from flying like the flying brick it is though. Still learning how to land a flying brick, a bit of a learning curve guess. :cool:    Thank you for your time and effort

Downloaded it and it all worked fine, it just seems its missing a wing piece and the aft tank, they exist in the files but not in game.

Edit: Parts appeared again, for some reason either Deleting BDarmory or Downloading a shuttle mod fixed it.

Edited by Pierocks4133
problem fixed