[Min KSP 1.11] Mk-33: X-33-inspired parts for KSP!

Angelo Kerman

(GOOGLE TRANSLATE);p

Hello Angel-125
I have a saved game with the full mod and this launch tower is fantastic. I intend to start a secondary career with very very different plans, so... Is it possible to use only the launch tower? I've been looking at the files but I don't want to risk anything...:unsure:

Ah! This is another amazing mod! Congratulations!:rep::rep::rep::rep::rep:

1 hour ago, KallangoVerde said:

(GOOGLE TRANSLATE);p

Hello Angel-125
I have a saved game with the full mod and this launch tower is fantastic. I intend to start a secondary career with very very different plans, so... Is it possible to use only the launch tower? I've been looking at the files but I don't want to risk anything...:unsure:

Ah! This is another amazing mod! Congratulations!:rep::rep::rep::rep::rep:

It is possible to just use the launch tower. The launch tower is in the WildBlueIndustries/Mk-33/Parts/Structural folder. You can delete the other folders.

Better yet though, @AlphaMensae has a really great mod dedicated to launch towers:

They offer a much greater variety of launch tower parts than what the Mk-33 provides. :)

10 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

É possível usar apenas a torre de lançamento. A torre de lançamento está na pasta WildBlueIndustries / Mk-33 / Parts / Structural. Você pode excluir as outras pastas.

Melhor ainda, @AlphaMensae tem um ótimo mod dedicado a torres de lançamento:

Eles oferecem uma variedade muito maior de peças de torre de lançamento do que o Mk-33 oferece. :)

I know ... I also use this mod, but this tower of yours is for special plans kkkk;p
Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Are you using stock aero? Be sure to 1) move your fuel load aft and 2) engage the RCS thrusters.

Yeah I'm using stock, ill try shifting whatever fuel I have to the rear.  Is RCS absolutely required? I also increased the authority of the flaps/ailerons and rear controls and it helped alittle.  Great work on the mod regardless of my issues its def one of my favorites.

Edited by KSPNoob

19 hours ago, KSPNoob said:

I'm having issues getting the nose to come up during reentry. 

Have you tried adding a pair of the Mk-33’s tail fins as forward canards? It seemed to greatly improve its flight performance when I tried that, set the “rudders” to act as pitch control instead then watch your CoL and CoM stay in the right places.

Hi!  I've also always loved VentureStar this is a really cool KSP implementation of a 'VentureStar-Like' system. Nice job!

I've been doing a lot of test flights, and I keep ending up with a LOT of extra dv... like almost 4-5k reaching a 200k orbit of Kerbin. These are almost the numbers I would expect if the craft was balanced for Real Solar System, and not stock.

Is there something I'm missing, or is this intended?  It just seems a bit unbalanced.  The flights have all been with 4 of the Velociraptors and an empty cargo payload.

Thanks!

EDIT: As I'm flying it with different cargo loads... maybe this is correct?  I'm curious what the 'standard payload'is for this craft, and the 'standard orbit' ?  With a pretty heavy load of station science components that you would use to make a typical space station, it still has about 1500 d/v left, which still seems high.

Edited by Saybur Stuff

1 hour ago, Saybur Stuff said:

Hi!  I've also always loved VentureStar this is a really cool KSP implementation of a 'VentureStar-Like' system. Nice job!

I've been doing a lot of test flights, and I keep ending up with a LOT of extra dv... like almost 4-5k reaching a 200k orbit of Kerbin. These are almost the numbers I would expect if the craft was balanced for Real Solar System, and not stock.

Is there something I'm missing, or is this intended?  It just seems a bit unbalanced.  The flights have all been with 4 of the Velociraptors and an empty cargo payload.

Thanks!

EDIT: As I'm flying it with different cargo loads... maybe this is correct?  I'm curious what the 'standard payload'is for this craft, and the 'standard orbit' ?  With a pretty heavy load of station science components that you would use to make a typical space station, it still has about 1500 d/v left, which still seems high.

Mk-33 is calibrated for JNSQ and carrying two large ore cans full of Ore into orbit. If you are flying stock scale. Check out the Pro Tips secion of the OP:

ZX7r0CF.png

Are you using stock scale?

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

Mk-33 is calibrated for JNSQ and carrying two large ore cans full of Ore into orbit. If you are flying stock scale. Check out the Pro Tips secion of the OP:

ZX7r0CF.png

Are you using stock scale?

I am using the stock scale, yes - for Stock then, fuel only the center module?

11 hours ago, Razor Wolf 005 said:

Hey people

Im having issues, I can't find the aft tank neither the wings :(

My ksp is from steam and i don't use any mod manager

Normaly i don't use any mods but this ohhhh

I love the X-33 spacecraft and this mod is what i waiting for years

Please help :'(

Did you install it correctly? Do you have ModuleManager? Without a log it is difficult to help.

• 1 month later...

I've tried installing several times, no wings or aft tanks appearing. Tried to troubleshoot without any success. I'm not using any kind of mod manager but (as far as I can tell) it should be working with a simple copy-paste. Anyone solved this issue yet? It's really frustrating... Can someone upload their version in a ZIP? Maybe it works for me...

On 3/10/2021 at 3:11 PM, KSPNoob said:

I'm having issues getting the nose to come up during reentry. 

On 3/10/2021 at 4:32 PM, Angel-125 said:

Are you using stock aero? Be sure to 1) move your fuel load aft and 2) engage the RCS thrusters.

I'm a bit late to this discussion, but it also helps a lot to angle the wings forwards. Just turn on the center-of-lift display widget and rotate the wings forwards on their axis ( local mode rather than absolute ) until the lift arrow points straight up. It should glide much better after this is done.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/24/2021 at 7:13 AM, Mudwig said:

I'm a bit late to this discussion, but it also helps a lot to angle the wings forwards. Just turn on the center-of-lift display widget and rotate the wings forwards on their axis ( local mode rather than absolute ) until the lift arrow points straight up. It should glide much better after this is done.

I'm slowly working on node-attached wings to make this much easier. Ideally everything just snaps into place but you might need to do some small rotations to line everything up. Hopefully that will make it easier to assemble.

1 hour ago, KallangoVerde said:

Hi Angel

I just saw on YouTube that the standard game will have rotation on the docking ports. So ... in the future DockRotate will no longer be a necessary mod, correct ???

That remains to be seen. If the rotation module is separate from the docking port, then there is definitely a possibility.

• 1 month later...

Now that KSP 1.12 is out, I've had a look at how docking ports rotate:

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleDockingNode
		referenceAttachNode = top
		nodeType = size0
		stagingEnabled = False
		canRotate = True
		rotationTransformName = port
		maxMotorOutput = 50
		RESOURCE
		{
			name = ElectricCharge
			rate = 1
		}
		rotationAxis = Y
	}

The rotation is built into the docking node. It appears that the docking port does allow a full 180-degree rotation. The problem is with the stability of docking ports; I don't know how well the Strongback will handle being a rotating docking port versus the stability offered by @peteletroll's NodeRotate. TBH NodeRotate has been rock solid, and it has sound effects. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Mk-33 1.1 is now available:

New Parts (requires Breaking Ground DLC, Kerbal Attachment System recommended)

- Payload Crane: This payload crane enables you to hoist payloads in and out of the Mk-33 payload bay.
- Payload Crane Control Cab: This single-occupant command pod is designed to operate with the payload crane.
- Payload Crane Docking Piston: This specialized robotics part is designed to adjust the height at which the crane can dock to the Mk-33.
- LY-C2 Crane Wheel: This retractable wheel enables you to drive the Payload Crane around.

Changes

- Updated for KSP 1.12 support. You can still fly in KSP 1.11.2.
- Increased lift on the probe core, forward tank, and cockpit.
- Added stock cargo capacity to the Mk-33 Airlock.
- Added optional Snacks support to the Extras folder.
- Recalibrated the cryogenic engines patch for Classic Stock Resources. It is calibrated to deliver a maximum of 20.5 tonnes into a 250km orbit in JNSQ.
- Recalibrated the cryogenic engines patch for Community Resource Pack. It is calibrated to deliver a maximum of 20.5 tonnes into a 250km orbit in JNSQ.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! Not to seem rude or whatever, but I have just one question just one question: Why are many parts using a Mapped shader where it isn't needed? With reflections on, some of this mod's parts look out of place with most other parts, especially the oddly reflective TPS (I haven't listed down which parts yet)

Edited by OrdinaryKerman
Payload bay module and inventory module don't have unnecessary shiny, most every other part seems to use a Mapped shader on things other than shiny foil