[Min KSP 1.11] Mk-33: X-33-inspired parts for KSP!

Angelo Kerman

16 hours ago, Fabled_Mike said:

How do I make it use LH2 instead of LF

Rename 'Mk33CryoEnginesCRP.txt' in the Mk-33/Extras folder to 'Mk33CryoEnginesCRP.cfg', and make sure you have Community Resource Pack installed. It might also require the CryoTanks mod? Or having it just enables the boiloff system. https://github.com/post-kerbin-mining-corporation/CryoTanks/releases

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Alpha512 said:

Is there a .craft file of a default Mk33? 

There's one, yes. It's in a folder called SampleCraft inside the mod itself. So you'll need to copy the .craft file from there into one of your existing saves. It was created with a bunch of mods installed that you might not have, but those are only module errors at craft load, and the craft itself should still load fine.

• 1 month later...
On 10/16/2022 at 8:42 AM, Alpha512 said:

Is there a .craft file of a default Mk33? 

On 10/16/2022 at 8:50 AM, OrbitalManeuvers said:

There's one, yes. It's in a folder called SampleCraft inside the mod itself. So you'll need to copy the .craft file from there into one of your existing saves. It was created with a bunch of mods installed that you might not have, but those are only module errors at craft load, and the craft itself should still load fine.

I have an update in the works that fixes those issues. I'm also working on this:

ARyLU0G.png

It's one of the last parts that I'm making for KSP 1. Then I finally get to retire from KSP 1 modding. :)

@OrbitalManeuvers @GuessingEveryDay

This is shock heat physics behaving normally as I understand it. The "tiny" nose doesn't heat up because it doesn't have much surface area to soak up heat from the aero shockwave. The forward RCS section is protected practically entirely due to hot air being deflected  away by the shockwave, but the cockpit or forward tank is the closest to the front with the most frontal surface area so it receives the bulk of what was deflected by the nose, so it heats up fast. Same thing happens with Kipard Skylon whose parts are divided the same way as this mod. Large spaceplane cockpits like the OPT ones will heat up really fast because they are the front-most part and they have all of the forward surface area.

Surprisingly, Mk-33's cockpit (and possibly all other crewed parts) don't have the separate internal heat limit of around 1500K. I think everyone would be in danger if Angel fixed this little oversight. :ph34r:

IIRC, KSP's heating system is EXTREMELY simplistic. It does NOTHING to model shock heating.
Instead, it just heats things that have exposure to the open atmosphere from the direction of flight. So technically that cabin shouldn't be getting as much heating as the nose section, the fact that the crew section (or whatever other section) is glowing indicates to me that it simply has a different max internal or skin temperature value defined in the config file, but I don't have this mod installed to check for myself. That's just what my intuition tells me.
In any case, it's probably fine if it all survives reentry fine, but it could probably survive a more severe reentry if the crew cabin (or other part that fits there) was adjusted to have a similar heat tolerance as the nosecone or other parts around it that aren't glowing.

Interesting. KSP still doesn't model shock heating tho.

EDIT: I think I figured it out. If the crew module (or whatever goes there) is a lot lighter or heavier than the other parts, or has different heat transfer capabilities defined in the config, it'll heat up quicker or slower.

Edited by SciMan

53 minutes ago, SciMan said:

It does NOTHING to model shock heating.

I wouldn't be too sure about that....... I haven't thought too much on it but next time I fly a plane it'll be a test article with 3x Mk2 cockpits and the 2 extra ones set backward somewhat to simulate being protected from shock heating. If they heat up equally then I'll accept this and be chill. :)

16 minutes ago, SciMan said:

a lot lighter or heavier than the other parts,

This would make sense. I assume wet (resource) mass is counted. The cockpit would be very light vs a loaded fuel tank so there's not much to give heat energy to, to heat it up. But this may give rise to a heat kraken as you can't jump pump a part's thermal mass. Draining its fuel and making it lighter would mean the part is hotter because there's less solid mass holding the same amount of heat energy.

Those are both fair points, I await the results of your experiments!
In my experience the only way a part will experience significant atmospheric heating is if it's directly impacted by the oncoming atmosphere. Anything that doesn't meet that condition is entirely unaffected.

IIRC it's simulated as if it's a heat-lamp, rather than any actual atmospheric simulation going on.

Mk-33 v 1.3.0 is now available:

New Parts

- Mk-33 Aft Tank (Hollow)
- Mk-33 Cargo Ramp
- KR-2200C "Tyranosaurus" Aerospike Engine

Changes

- Mk-33 now supports Community Category Kit.
- Fixed mesh offset issues with the mid-tank.
- Fixed landing gear lighting up the planet.
- Fixed KSP complaining about missing part modules in the sample craft.
- Fixed Module Manager patches in the Extras folder that support cryogenic propellants for Classic Stock Resources and Community Resource Pack.
- Fixed Mk-33 Main Wing failing to surface attach when Wild Blue Decals is installed.
NOTE: You'll need an updated version of Wild Blue Decals.

F2cNiOC.png

0Vn4Uhx.png

0d3pbGT.png

AFiEUOE.png

Hard to believe it, but I've finished all the parts and mods that I want to use in KSP 1! Time to retire and enjoy the game for a few months... :)

I've just updated to the latest build, and now my JNSQ install hangs at startup. I had the previous version installed (working fine) and only change was updating to the latest MK33 version (deleting old version first).

Here's the log where you can see something (maybe?) conflicting with CryoTanks at the end:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-WFWlUIp4eVm4K77DfW2kPh--7Yp6Ooy?usp=share_link

Do I need to change something on my end for this new build?

11 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Mk-33 v 1.3.0 is now available:

New Parts

- Mk-33 Aft Tank (Hollow)
- Mk-33 Cargo Ramp
- KR-2200C "Tyranosaurus" Aerospike Engine

Changes

- Mk-33 now supports Community Category Kit.
- Fixed mesh offset issues with the mid-tank.
- Fixed landing gear lighting up the planet.
- Fixed KSP complaining about missing part modules in the sample craft.
- Fixed Module Manager patches in the Extras folder that support cryogenic propellants for Classic Stock Resources and Community Resource Pack.
- Fixed Mk-33 Main Wing failing to surface attach when Wild Blue Decals is installed.
NOTE: You'll need an updated version of Wild Blue Decals.

F2cNiOC.png

0Vn4Uhx.png

0d3pbGT.png

AFiEUOE.png

Hard to believe it, but I've finished all the parts and mods that I want to use in KSP 1! Time to retire and enjoy the game for a few months... :)

You’ve earned it! Thanks for doing what you do!