[Min KSP 1.11] Mk-33: X-33-inspired parts for KSP!

Angelo Kerman

17 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

I've just updated to the latest build, and now my JNSQ install hangs at startup. I had the previous version installed (working fine) and only change was updating to the latest MK33 version (deleting old version first).

Here's the log where you can see something (maybe?) conflicting with CryoTanks at the end:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-WFWlUIp4eVm4K77DfW2kPh--7Yp6Ooy?usp=share_link

Do I need to change something on my end for this new build?

I also have that problem. Yes, it seems cryotanks conflict with it

10 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

I've just updated to the latest build, and now my JNSQ install hangs at startup. I had the previous version installed (working fine) and only change was updating to the latest MK33 version (deleting old version first).

Ok so in the meantime waiting for fix, delete cryotank patch "B9PS.cfg" at  Kerbal spy program\Gamedata\WildBlueIndustries\Mk-33\Patches

Edited by ssd21345

11 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

AFiEUOE.png

Hard to believe it, but I've finished all the parts and mods that I want to use in KSP 1! Time to retire and enjoy the game for a few months... :)

Congrats and thanks for all the great mods! Enjoy the couple months before the KSP2 EA release!

2 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Here's the log where you can see something (maybe?) conflicting with CryoTanks at the end:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-WFWlUIp4eVm4K77DfW2kPh--7Yp6Ooy?usp=share_link

Do I need to change something on my end for this new build?

Try renaming B9PS.cfg to B9PS.txt and see if that helps. It is in the Patches folder. Are you using any of the configs in the Extras folder?

1 hour ago, panarchist said:

Congrats and thanks for all the great mods! Enjoy the couple months before the KSP2 EA release!

Thanks! :) I am going to spend some time working on my mission reports and learning Blender (my 3D art program's license expires soon). Assuming that existing art assents can't be ported over, I expect to start over with my 3D models- but I'm limiting myself to 2-3 mods at most. This time around I want to play the game more than mod it...

If by chance it's easy to port 3D models over then I can think about bringing the Mk33 to KSP 2.

3 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Try renaming B9PS.cfg to B9PS.txt and see if that helps. It is in the Patches folder. Are you using any of the configs in the Extras folder?

Removing that patch does indeed solve the problem (also confirmed above). And all the files in the extras folder still have .txt extensions, so not using them.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just started a new playthrough with this mod, I've pretty much always used this mod for all other playthroughs as it is one of the best mods for ksp.  I've also started using far future technologies, which comes with the waterfall mod as packaged. I might be being an idiot, but the fx for the 2 engines that come with this mod aren't showing up, I still have sound but no visual plumes. just wondering whether I need to move some files around or need to install a plugin for the exhaust fx to return. Thanks

4 hours ago, joshCB said:

I've just started a new playthrough with this mod, I've pretty much always used this mod for all other playthroughs as it is one of the best mods for ksp.  I've also started using far future technologies, which comes with the waterfall mod as packaged. I might be being an idiot, but the fx for the 2 engines that come with this mod aren't showing up, I still have sound but no visual plumes. just wondering whether I need to move some files around or need to install a plugin for the exhaust fx to return. Thanks

Try manually installing Waterfall from this link:

• 4 weeks later...

@Angel-125 Thanks for making this.

As is too common in KSP, I'm getting drag problems. I think that any cargo that is longer than a single payload bay module can't be shielded because of how the game works. Or am I somehow configuring the payload bays incorrectly?

The Mk-33 is still usable and reaches orbit, I'm just trying to get things working better.

On 1/24/2023 at 10:59 AM, AtomicTech said:

@Angel-125, would you ever consider adding a patch to the RCS thrusters that would add a very high thrust, low efficiency mode for landing the Mk-33 belly first?

I don't recall KSP having the ability to switch RCS modes, I'm afraid. @JadeOfMaar's OPT mod might have landing rockets though. :) I did at one point have other parts planned, including landing rockets, but life happened...

2 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

@Angel-125 Thanks for making this.

As is too common in KSP, I'm getting drag problems. I think that any cargo that is longer than a single payload bay module can't be shielded because of how the game works. Or am I somehow configuring the payload bays incorrectly?

The Mk-33 is still usable and reaches orbit, I'm just trying to get things working better.

I think it's indeed due to how the game handles drag and shielded parts. There is little that I can do to help with that. I use the Mk-33 a lot in my JNSQ game and while there's a lot of drag, I can still reach orbit and such.

26 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

I don't recall KSP having the ability to switch RCS modes, I'm afraid.

KSP doesn't and didn't have that. OPT uses B9PS for RCS fuel switching. What @AtomicTech is actually asking is if you will entertain the idea of providing a confg (B9 or optional override type) for this performance change for those who need it.

OPT has a low profile engine model meant for use with landers (namely, Mk2 sized VTOL planes). But installing OPT just for one part (well, 3) is... uh...

Spoiler

Two rocket versions and a jet engine (air vent) version.

mIXUSkm.jpg

lcy9Q8F.jpg

There's a mod for just an engine (similar looking). Install that and MM patch it as necessary. Radial Engine for spacecraft - T.G.O.L group

8 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

I think it's indeed due to how the game handles drag and shielded parts. There is little that I can do to help with that. I use the Mk-33 a lot in my JNSQ game and while there's a lot of drag, I can still reach orbit and such.

TLDR: What engine setup should I use with the rear ramp?

I agree that drag isn't an issue in your original concept for vertical liftoff and 4 aerospike engines (I find 3 engines are usually sufficient). There's enough TWR to climb until drag is reduced. With 3 engines I can easily send 40+ tons to my station at 120km KSRSS 2.5x.

The more recent rear cargo ramp added in December is the complication for me because it only leaves room for 2 aerospikes. 2 engines give low TWR even with much lighter payloads. Your adapters make it easy to attach an additional 4x 1.25m but they are too small to significantly boost TWR in such a big vessel.

That led me to experiment with horizontal runway liftoff for the 2 aerospikes. Excessive drag loss limits acceleration in the low atmosphere and burns too much fuel in horizontal flight. I haven't been able to reach orbit while carrying an empty Jumbo-64 tank and the ramp. Without the ramp, I can use 3 engines and can get the full tank to orbit, and have the flexibility of vertical or horizontal liftoff.

I can't find any good arrangement that uses the ramp, maintains heavy payload performance, and doesn't break the SSTO concept.

• 2 weeks later...

Is RCS broken on the hollow aft tank? Its part window shows RCS capability, and Kerbal Engineer thinks the part produces RCS thrust. When I actually use RCS though the part creates zero thrust, uses no fuel (so it's not an occlusion issue), and no RCS animation and sound.

As a test, could someone else test a craft with just 3 parts: any crew part that does *not* have RCS in middle, hollow aft tank attached to one node of crew part, solid aft tank attached to other node of crew part. Cheat into orbit. My RCS maneuvers are only using the solid tank. If I disable the solid tank's RCS I then get zero thrust.

I already checked the hollow tank's part window to confirm its RCS is enabled and RCS thrust is at 100%.

(It's easy enough to workaround by adding the Mk-33 external RCS parts to the hollow aft tank. I'm trying to rule out installation error on my end before reporting a bug.)

On 2/15/2023 at 7:50 AM, DeadJohn said:

Is RCS broken on the hollow aft tank? Its part window shows RCS capability, and Kerbal Engineer thinks the part produces RCS thrust. When I actually use RCS though the part creates zero thrust, uses no fuel (so it's not an occlusion issue), and no RCS animation and sound.

As a test, could someone else test a craft with just 3 parts: any crew part that does *not* have RCS in middle, hollow aft tank attached to one node of crew part, solid aft tank attached to other node of crew part. Cheat into orbit. My RCS maneuvers are only using the solid tank. If I disable the solid tank's RCS I then get zero thrust.

I already checked the hollow tank's part window to confirm its RCS is enabled and RCS thrust is at 100%.

(It's easy enough to workaround by adding the Mk-33 external RCS parts to the hollow aft tank. I'm trying to rule out installation error on my end before reporting a bug.)

21 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Can confirm that it doesn't work for me either.

Hm, I'll have to look into that. Hopefully it's an issue that can be fixed in Unity; the license to my 3D program ran out and it's too expensive to renew it. This year I'll be learning Blender.

And if it's possible to port 3D models over to KSP 2 without too much difficulty, the Mk-33 is on my list. No promises, we know next to nothing about what it takes to mod the game...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. Just started playing this mod. Have a problem with craft files, they are all refuse to load due to missing aft tank part. is there a dependancy I missed? Looks like some parts (wings, aft tanks except for the Hollow one) are missing in the parts selection.
UPD: the only other mod I have is MechJeb2. I am playing a sandbox game.

Edited by hladow1